Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Subwoofer Upgrade Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Very well done, I like

What do you think of this "tiny subwoofer"

Last edited by spijun; 02-16-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikethephotog
Wait. I realize I didn't read your message correctly. Now I see what you mean. I am not sure how I would attach it without screwing through the panel. It is pretty thin and the screws would probably poke out the other side. Any ideas on how else to attach it?
I just looked at that panel, n its pretty flimsy. Probably best to put under a seat unless you can securely mount in the panel where its currently located. Thx
Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Spijun, That is awesome. lol.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by abacon09
+1 I was thinking the same thing. A lot of velcro will hold that amp pretty securely.
Thats a pretty good idea. I was thinking that. I checked it today, there is a soft foam on it now that I dont think would hold, but maybe if I took that off to get the harder part of the panel, it might work. I'll play around with it. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's an awesome installation!

Does the sound from this setup meet your full expectations with respect to bass quality?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GregH
That's an awesome installation!

Does the sound from this setup meet your full expectations with respect to bass quality?
It does! I had one 8" Image Dynamic sub in my old car and it was loud and full and awesome. But these blow that away by a long shot. The kicks you feel in your seat, the way it should be. It makes it feel much more like you are listening to the song at a concert where you feel the music instead of just hear it. I know there are better setups with more airspace and deeper more powerful subs, but this matches up perfectly with what I listen to. Mostly rock. The hip hop stuff is still great, but could definitely be better.

I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to give up space in their car.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome job. Looks great too. Not sure I am willing to drop another $1300 into my Audi yet though after just getting my rims. I will deal with the factory BO speakers for now. =)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After reading this thread, it occurred to me that one of the reasons for not getting much difference in the low end response is that the B&O system may not be sending all the low frequency information to the subwoofer (it's doing a frequency roll-off designed to match the OEM sub-woofer). It's that the case, then changing out the sub-woofer is not going to have much of an impact as it will never be fed with the really low frequency information.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickTu
After reading this thread, it occurred to me that one of the reasons for not getting much difference in the low end response is that the B&O system may not be sending all the low frequency information to the subwoofer (it's doing a frequency roll-off designed to match the OEM sub-woofer). It's that the case, then changing out the sub-woofer is not going to have much of an impact as it will never be fed with the really low frequency information.
to me i think its because the woofers are not made with silicone cones and it is a ported plastic box as well. People wants more solid bass with space saving.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Daisame
Awesome job. Looks great too. Not sure I am willing to drop another $1300 into my Audi yet though after just getting my rims. I will deal with the factory BO speakers for now. =)
I hear ya there. Its not cheep. If space isnt a HUGE deal to you, The bulk of the cost was the custom box and the second sub. You can get a regular box like Sleeter did and it would make a world of difference for much much less than I paid. I just need to have the back be fully functional for my job.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Upgrade Project