Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Suggestions on radio presets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on radio presets?

This car is maddeningly complex in its logical design. Three or four button's/dials to do one action. They couldn't have put one **** for fan and one for temp... there has to be this sophisticated, logical, and distracting set of 4 buttons that shares a ****.

so. For the radio. Has anyone figured out the fastest way to the presets without multiple button clicks and rolling that thing on the steering wheel to try and hit the "preset" label...and then rolling again to the preset and pushing.

Using the MMI dial is just as complex. Am I missing something? Is there a better way?

And while I am ranting.. When driving with my right hand and the sun comes in my face, I reach up for the sun visor and find it is recessed. The only place for a finger grab is on the right. Did the engineers ever try this stuff out? You need to be able to open it with either hand!!

Thank goodness this thing drives like a dream.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

radman, I too have been trying to figure out a easier method for presetting stations. I give up for now and just "hang" around channel 21 (cannot live without it) up to mid-30's. I've gotten pretty good a spinning the control ****.
The sun visor problem also defies simple human engineering. Think about it (AUDI), a person grabs for a sun visor when he is "blinded" by the sun, and we don't have time to figure out where the grab indent is. KOOKS in engineering at it again.
My TT has a mini visor over the mirror. Brilliant idea! I guess one design team doesn't share. Reminds me of my old job with the Defense Department.
But man...I love my Q5 S+ sooo much better than my perfect Lincoln MKX (I thought that as a darn good ride).
Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
radman, I too have been trying to figure out a easier method for presetting stations. I give up for now and just "hang" around channel 21 (cannot live without it) up to mid-30's. I've gotten pretty good a spinning the control ****.
The sun visor problem also defies simple human engineering. Think about it (AUDI), a person grabs for a sun visor when he is "blinded" by the sun, and we don't have time to figure out where the grab indent is. KOOKS in engineering at it again.
My TT has a mini visor over the mirror. Brilliant idea! I guess one design team doesn't share. Reminds me of my old job with the Defense Department.
But man...I love my Q5 S+ sooo much better than my perfect Lincoln MKX (I thought that as a darn good ride).
It is actually an ethical issue. I would guess that every extra step a person has to make translates into an increase rate of accidents across the large population of people that own the car..

I have figured out the visor.. I snake my left hand all the way across to the right and pull it down. I will probably put my elbow out of whack...

the radio is a more serious issue. I never know if I am in my preset list or just the available stations. I think presets takes yet another click. It takes your eye off the road for another several seconds. There has to be a better way!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's even worse is trying to find a new station (especially when traveling and you don't know what station is what). It takes 3, 4 or 5 clicks just to get to the point where you can then spin the **** to find a station or click to scan for them. I think it's completely ridiculous. And the fact that the damn car (yes, I like my Q5 but sometimes it drives me crazy) can't simply stay on the presents is ridiculous. Like the OP said why should I have to click on radio and then click on presents? Makes no sense? If it would just stay on presents then I could just hit the forward/back buttons from any screen w/o having to first go to radio and then hit presets and then go back to whatever else I was on.