Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

sunroof cracking

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof cracking

Hi,

I noticed on other threads people complaining about noises coming from the sunroof. This weekend, after hearing a little cracking sound coming from the sunroof, I decided to clean it. I used some armor all since it leaves a little greasing film so I assumed it will lubricate the roof and make the noise go away. Unfortunately it only made it worse. Now cracking sounds are coming from all around the roof. Does someone know how to clean and lubricate the roof? It is really annoying now and it feels like I am driving a really old car. I only have 35000 km on it!

Thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely you mean creaking? To say its cracking implies its breaking apart. There is a great detailing forum here under General Automotive. It may be worth asking there.

There is actually a TSB for this on the Q7 so creaking sunroof is nothing new to Audi.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, this is what I meant... Creaking. Sorry for my bad english
Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello... I, too, am experiencing this 'creaking' noise from the sunroof. I have 2100 miles on my Q5. Took it to the dealer, and of course, it didn't make a single noise on our test drive. I've noticed the creaking noise to be more consistent... so I guess it's back to the dealer. Thankfully, I am only a few miles away from my dealer.

Does anyone know what the fix is for this 'creaking'? Are there adjustments?

Quite surprised to experience this in a brand new Audi. (My first Audi)

Other than the "creak"... the Q5 is a dream!

Thanks for the info,
-Ryan
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you talking about the rubber seals around the glass?

If so, you want "Gummipflege"!

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480.../dp/B004B8GTQG

Trust me, that stuff works wonders!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Hi,

I noticed on other threads people complaining about noises coming from the sunroof. This weekend, after hearing a little cracking sound coming from the sunroof, I decided to clean it. I used some armor all since it leaves a little greasing film so I assumed it will lubricate the roof and make the noise go away. Unfortunately it only made it worse. Now cracking sounds are coming from all around the roof. Does someone know how to clean and lubricate the roof? It is really annoying now and it feels like I am driving a really old car. I only have 35000 km on it!

Thanks
Same thing happened on my 2011 right after I got it last October. Drove me nuts. Here's what I went through with the dealer before they finally found a fix:
11/6/10 485 mi - Lubed rails, rubber etc. - no help

11/26/10 1,099 mi - Lubed again - noise still there

12/17 10 1,529 mi - Said they couldn't hear it, no repairs attempted

01/27/11 2,317 mi - Said it was too intermittent to locate, no repairs attempted

02/17/11 2,621 mi - Lubed again, noise back the next day
Called Regional After Sales Manager and Customer Relations. Regional Manager came in to take a ride to hear the creaking for himself, noise confirmed. He told dealer to replace the glass

03/15/11 3,137 mi - Replaced the front glass. They said they swapped it with one from a 2011 they had for sale on the lot. I said, Seriously? I was expecting a "new" piece of glass from the factory. This must have been the cheaper way to go for them, typical dealer stuff. The tech said that when he installed the "new" glass, it fit much better than the one that came out of my car? He said it went in much easier than the old one came out. He also said that my "old" glass went into the other car ok and did not creak. Looks like it was a fitment issue, something was just a little too tight somewhere causing the creaking noise. Bottom line, 6 trips to the dealer and 5 months later the creaking is finally gone! Hope you have better luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HZ60
Same thing happened on my 2011 right after I got it last October. Drove me nuts. Here's what I went through with the dealer before they finally found a fix:

01/27/11 2,317 mi - Said it was too intermittent to locate, no repairs attempted

Called Regional After Sales Manager and Customer Relations. Regional Manager came in to take a ride to hear the creaking for himself, noise confirmed. He told dealer to replace the glass

03/15/11 3,137 mi - Replaced the front glass. They said they swapped it with one from a 2011 they had for sale on the lot. I said, Seriously? I was expecting a "new" piece of glass from the factory. This must have been the cheaper way to go for them, typical dealer stuff. The tech said that when he installed the "new" glass, it fit much better than the one that came out of my car? He said it went in much easier than the old one came out. He also said that my "old" glass went into the other car ok and did not creak. Looks like it was a fitment issue, something was just a little too tight somewhere causing the creaking noise. Bottom line, 6 trips to the dealer and 5 months later the creaking is finally gone! Hope you have better luck.
OMG, I can't believe I will have to go through that! Anyway my car is more than a year old, I think squeaks and noises are not covered by the warranty anymore...
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60

Update FWIW

After a 4,000+ mile cross country trip to the East Coast, the sunroof noise came back.

06/27/11 8,827 mi
Sunroof rattling again. Plastic side rail trim pieces loose, constant tapping noise plus loud snapping noise from the glass over bumps with glass opened. Brought car to the Dealer

Service Ticket Item A
Sunroof is rattling

AGR Found one sunroof bolt loose. Tightened bolts and also ordered trim pieces.

07/06/11 8,976 mi.
Service Ticket Item A
Sunroof is rattling while driving, install SOP

Cause:

AGR Replaced sunroof lifter side trim on both sides
201 WA04
1 1K9-898-925 Trim

With any luck at all, this 8th trip to the dealer will be the last for this problem.

On a positive note, the car performed flawlessly to the East Coast and back to Colorado. I've made this trip more times than I can remember in various vehicles. The Q5 is one of the best cross country cruisers I have ever driven for comfort performance and handling. Averaged 24-26 mpg.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To me, thats my biggest complaint about the panorama roof. When I get a creak from a regular sunroof from expansion or contraction, all I do is open it and close it again, the noise goes away. I cannot do that with the stationary part of the panorama roof.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I noticed this the other night on my 3.2. I thought it was the sunroof by my noise is coming from the headliner above the passenger sun visor. If I push on this area, the noise stops.

I also have the rear seat rattle. The dealership just ordered me a new rear seat so we will see if that helps.

Quick Reply: sunroof cracking