Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sunroof rattle fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
Mine acts up when the air moisture gets higher. The recent monsoons here in LA have been wreaking havoc on the sunroof.
I just spray this $5 can of lube I get from Home Depot the entire length of the rail and sound be gone. Works like a charm.

Bless your dear sweet baby Jesus heart if this works!
Old 02-16-2019, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here you go:
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
DennisMitchell (07-02-2021)
Old 02-16-2019, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjeev Ramroop
Bless your dear sweet baby Jesus heart if this works!
What do you mean if? Been using this stuff on the sunroof for a couple of years now. Silences it for about a year then reapply.
Or, go buy 2 tiny tubes of lube at $30-$40 each. Follow the service bulletin and hope it works.
Many dealerships have applied this only to have the noise return about a month later.
I'll stick with the $5 option.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
What do you mean if? Been using this stuff on the sunroof for a couple of years now. Silences it for about a year then reapply.
Or, go buy 2 tiny tubes of lube at $30-$40 each. Follow the service bulletin and hope it works.
Many dealerships have applied this only to have the noise return about a month later.
I'll stick with the $5 option.
I've been using the same product, it lasted for a week. Didn't spray a lot of it though. It's been raining a lot too.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default First World Problem | Panoramic Moon Roof Rattle FIXED!

I 🖤 my Audi Q5. But the huge panoramic moon roof rattles, especially in the cooler winter. Based on the Audi forum link below, this is a common challenge with this car. My boutique car shop won't touch the issue due to sheer complexity & the liability of even opening it up for inspection. They told me they will only examine it for me if it is leaking, which it is not.

I usually have my radio on & don't hear the rattling, but recently I finally hit my limit with the winter ratting. So I opened the sun shade, jammed a couple of retractable pens with rubber grips into the lip of the moon roof & surprisingly the rattling stopped! Seems my hunch thar the spring-loaded wind & bug sheild that pops up when you open it is the source of the rattling was right!

So I headed over to Ace Hardware & bought 15 5/8" black Velcro sticky dots for $5.00 USD & deployed the fuzzy (not hooked) sides on the chunks that depress the spring-loaded wind & bug shield, as well as along the front lip of the moon roof, where I suspected the rattling was occuring. Wallah! Problem solved -- for $5!
The following 3 users liked this post by JP Foerster:
A6forMoi (03-09-2020), DennisMitchell (03-03-2020), johnzadar (08-15-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Foerster
I 🖤 my Audi Q5. But the huge panoramic moon roof rattles, especially in the cooler winter. Based on the Audi forum link below, this is a common challenge with this car. My boutique car shop won't touch the issue due to sheer complexity & the liability of even opening it up for inspection. They told me they will only examine it for me if it is leaking, which it is not.

I usually have my radio on & don't hear the rattling, but recently I finally hit my limit with the winter ratting. So I opened the sun shade, jammed a couple of retractable pens with rubber grips into the lip of the moon roof & surprisingly the rattling stopped! Seems my hunch thar the spring-loaded wind & bug sheild that pops up when you open it is the source of the rattling was right!

So I headed over to Ace Hardware & bought 15 5/8" black Velcro sticky dots for $5.00 USD & deployed the fuzzy (not hooked) sides on the chunks that depress the spring-loaded wind & bug shield, as well as along the front lip of the moon roof, where I suspected the rattling was occuring. Wallah! Problem solved -- for $5!
Like this post. So you are saying it is not the movable glass panel that is making noise. It is the wind and bug shield moving about with the road vibrations. It would be great if you could take a couple of photos with arrows showing exact treatment area for the velcro loop material. Thanks.
A6forMoi (03-09-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Like this post. So you are saying it is not the movable glass panel that is making noise. It is the wind and bug shield moving about with the road vibrations. It would be great if you could take a couple of photos with arrows showing exact treatment area for the velcro loop material. Thanks.
But if this is the case why rattle goes away when the roof is tilted? Since the wind screen is up front it should still rattle. At least for me the sound seems to be coming from the back and the screen is up front.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
But if this is the case why rattle goes away when the roof is tilted? Since the wind screen is up front it should still rattle. At least for me the sound seems to be coming from the back and the screen is up front.
Yep, my rattle sounded like it was coming from near the joint between the sliding glass panel and fixed glass portion of the roof. I suspected that some part of the sliding mechanism wasn't under tension when closed - like the glass was sitting down in its mount, but that the arms that raise the glass weren't under tension and so were rattling. My goal was to make sure the whole mechanism was under tension when closed (and so no freedom to slop around). So I added a piece of thin weather stripping to each of the rails and the rattle has been gone ever since. Now I occasionally hear what sounds like the glass panel rubbing on the weather stripping, so I may swap it out for something non-rubber like velcro, but for the most part this has removed the "rattle" sound I heard coming from the back of the sliding panel and hasn't resulted in any leaks.
pickle57 (01-18-2021)
Old 05-16-2020, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a similar issue with my 2016 Q5, but the rattle was coming from the plastic trim from under the moon roof. I took off the trim and used athletic tape on the backside of the trim so it doesn't rub against the siding of the track. Not sure if its related, but this trick fixed my issue.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I too had a terrible rattle that was coming from the front of the sunroof.

I too had a terrible rattle that was coming from the front of the sunroof when it was closed I tried pushing it up whilst my other half was driving, it made no difference.

I put the sunroof a notch back so the wind deflector popped up and then closed it slowly using they key fob, I noticed there are protrusions on the roof runners that push the deflector down.

So just before the contact point of the roof meeting the deflector I put a strip of industrial fluffy side Velcro on the deflector rails it’s about 1.5mm thick. Completely cured the problem.

I think that the spring loaded deflector was slightly out of line on one side therefore leaving a small gap which caused the rattle.

it worked for me. It’s a 2015 Q5 S line. Might be worth a try if the rattle comes from the front, honestly the test drive after was so peaceful.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle fixed