Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Kia rocks!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Friends dont let friends drive Kia
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I keep thinking about this...can this guy really own an Audi and say that? lol
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
+1
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And now the thrilling conclusion to my thrilling story.

As I had been in contact with Audi roadside assistance to tow my Q5 the 5 hour trip all the way to the dealership I was waiting for the right time to get the tow truck lined up. See the tow truck companies didn't want to tow the Audi that far, since there are actual emergencies in my area, especially when the temperature is -30c. Well it so happens that one of the managers at Audi roadside assistance had been talking to Audi HQ, and had arranged to have my Q5 fixed in my very own city at the VW dealership. Then it was a simple matter of having the tow truck driver come over and move the car about 5 km to the VW dealer to get repaired.

Audi also supplied us with a car rental that we could use as long as we needed it. We ended up getting a Hyundai Sonota, basic package, a very basic flimsy car. Even though it had heated seats and a few other nice things the rest of the car felt cheap, it pulled to the right, steering was heavy, and was just too dang low to be putting in a 30 lb baby and taking out that same baby. But I am glad we were taken care of and had a 2nd vehicle to use.

The plan was that the new sunroof would arrive at the Audi dealership, and then they would ship the sunroof to the VW dealership in my city, the sunroof would be installed and I would be on my way. And that's what happened. Twice.
See, the guy who ordered the new sunroof for me at the Audi dealership had never seen my Audi we had just talked on the phone that's all. And ordered 1 roof panel. Just 1. He didn't ask if the 2nd roof panel was broken, and I didn't think to tell him that both roof panels were broken. So, the VW dealer had to get a 2nd roof panel ordered, and we had to wait an additional 6 days.

Audi really did take care of us, and really went out of their way to make it convenient for us by getting the Q5 service in our city. And I am sure it was quite a bit cheaper for Audi as well.

Now its two weeks since the cold snap, we are back in our Audi, I am glad to be driving a proper vehicle, and we are getting record warm temperatures in Alberta now. 6c above, and sunny sunny sunny. It feels like spring... But its February. And it should still be -15c for a daytime high.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats - finally you got your Q back!

Originally Posted by Aceoil
And now the thrilling conclusion to my thrilling story.

As I had been in contact with Audi roadside assistance to tow my Q5 the 5 hour trip all the way to the dealership I was waiting for the right time to get the tow truck lined up. See the tow truck companies didn't want to tow the Audi that far, since there are actual emergencies in my area, especially when the temperature is -30c. Well it so happens that one of the managers at Audi roadside assistance had been talking to Audi HQ, and had arranged to have my Q5 fixed in my very own city at the VW dealership. Then it was a simple matter of having the tow truck driver come over and move the car about 5 km to the VW dealer to get repaired.

Audi also supplied us with a car rental that we could use as long as we needed it. We ended up getting a Hyundai Sonota, basic package, a very basic flimsy car. Even though it had heated seats and a few other nice things the rest of the car felt cheap, it pulled to the right, steering was heavy, and was just too dang low to be putting in a 30 lb baby and taking out that same baby. But I am glad we were taken care of and had a 2nd vehicle to use.

The plan was that the new sunroof would arrive at the Audi dealership, and then they would ship the sunroof to the VW dealership in my city, the sunroof would be installed and I would be on my way. And that's what happened. Twice.
See, the guy who ordered the new sunroof for me at the Audi dealership had never seen my Audi we had just talked on the phone that's all. And ordered 1 roof panel. Just 1. He didn't ask if the 2nd roof panel was broken, and I didn't think to tell him that both roof panels were broken. So, the VW dealer had to get a 2nd roof panel ordered, and we had to wait an additional 6 days.

Audi really did take care of us, and really went out of their way to make it convenient for us by getting the Q5 service in our city. And I am sure it was quite a bit cheaper for Audi as well.

Now its two weeks since the cold snap, we are back in our Audi, I am glad to be driving a proper vehicle, and we are getting record warm temperatures in Alberta now. 6c above, and sunny sunny sunny. It feels like spring... But its February. And it should still be -15c for a daytime high.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's happened in the UK too!!!!

Just to add quickly to this thread > This weekend, Sat 4th Feb my wife went out early only to find the Panoramic Sunroof to her pride & joy shattered/exploded/imploded. In line with what I have read & seen on here, I can confirm that her car is an Oct 2011 [ 2012 model year ]. The UK temp overnight had dropped to approx -9 to -12 degrees C. Nothing had fallen onto the roof during the night - nor had vandals had a go at it. My S5 Sportback is sitting next to it and is fine! [ sorry i need to change my signature/avatar - the S6 has gone ]
The Q5 is now with the dealer [ who hadn't heard of this bizzare experience/fault at all ] - they provided my wife with a courtessy car immediately, a new A6 Allroad, so no complaints, however i will be pointing them in the direction of this thread & other material found on the web re this scenario. The first reaction by the service department was to advise us that we wouldnt be covered under warranty for "glass" - well I'll let you know how that one pans out!
I will come back later to post pics etc.
Glad to see the Forum proving useful & thanks to all those who have posted on this matter.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Kia vs. Audi

Originally Posted by anishkumar
+1
Ok, ok. It's true i like driving the Q5 more than the Kia. I thought the soulless comment was particularly damning and accurate. But the car does work as advertised. And is really just dirt cheap. We got ours on lease for something like $200 a month.

My Q5 is nice but has been in the shop (Audi of Silver Spring) now for almost 5 weeks with this defective sunroof. No doubt this speaks to some major incompetence that has extended from the towing company audi care used, to the dealer, to the body shop (the glass smashed into the back because the tow truck didn't remove it before towing). But nothing removes the joy of a new car like having it in the shop for almost as long as you have owned it.

It goes without saying i do not recommend the service department at that dealership.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

HHmmmm - Not good, I hope my wifes car doesn't spend that long at the dealers, although they have already asked for all the broken glass to be taken into them so that they can carefully piece it together like a jigsaw to help establish the pattern of play re the initial erruption!
I think it's going to be a slow repair for us too

My wife is understandably worried that when her car is returned - will it happen again - especially if she's in the car at the time
Old 02-07-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ustreetguy
My Q5 is nice but has been in the shop (Audi of Silver Spring) now for almost 5 weeks with this defective sunroof. No doubt this speaks to some major incompetence that has extended from the towing company audi care used, to the dealer, to the body shop (the glass smashed into the back because the tow truck didn't remove it before towing). But nothing removes the joy of a new car like having it in the shop for almost as long as you have owned it.

It goes without saying i do not recommend the service department at that dealership.
That is surprising. Audi of Silver Spring has been highly touted as one of the best dealerships in the DC Metro area for service, and I was seriously considering driving up to MD from VA for service on my new A8.

Quick Reply: Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures