Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Switched from Allroad to Q5 - Question on APR

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched from Allroad to Q5 - Question on APR

About 4 weeks ago I got a new 2011 Q5. After driving the 3.2 and the 2.0T I decided to go with the 2.0T, very good acceleration, as good response as the 3.2 but with 8 speed transmission and better gas mileage. I get around 22mpg in city and 27 in highway driving - I am very impressed compared to the allroad with 15-16mpg / closer to 20 on the highway with a very light foot. Granted it was a V8 and this is a 4 cylinder but the acceleration and response is almost as good, nevertheless I already decided when buying the car that I want to do an ECU upgrade and selected APR as I had that done in the allroad as well.

About 2 weeks ago I went to Precision Motorworks to check out serial number and version number of the ECU per recommendation from APR, sent it to APR for verification and was told by email that the upgrade is available. This week I went back to Precision Motorworks for my "christmas present", dropped of the car and was excited to an increased performance in the evening - unfortunately it turned out that the upgrade is not available yet, - APR acknowledged they made a mistake - at least to Precision Motorworks - I still have not heard a word back. So not happy with APR - crawling along again.

Has anyone tried any alternative to APR? Stasis? APR has a special $599 for the full package but that runs out 1/7/2011 and the version for the Q5 (at least the 2011 model) is not ready before the end of January or February 2011 - so any alternative recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Either way, I love the Q5, B&O is great, gas mileage is great and the ride is smooth. I am happy I switched from the allroad even though that was a great car as well.

Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year for everyone.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the 2011, I believe the ECU has to be sent to Stasis (were you to go that route).

I'm a 2011 Q5 2.0t owner as well, and have done APR to my 2010 A4, so I know it's worth it. My advice to you would be to wait it out.

You may want to contact APR and ask for a special extension of the holiday price as an apology for their mistake...
Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love my Q it's enough to put a smile on my face. I had a B5 stage 2+ S4 and love power, but my license is my job so I don't need ***** to the wall crazy. My dealer is a Stasis authorized dealer so if I'm not mistaken it doesn't void warranty so that's the route I will be taking.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shrad6
I love my Q it's enough to put a smile on my face. I had a B5 stage 2+ S4 and love power, but my license is my job so I don't need ***** to the wall crazy. My dealer is a Stasis authorized dealer so if I'm not mistaken it doesn't void warranty so that's the route I will be taking.
Actually it 'replaces' the factory warranty with a Stasis one. Essentially, if Audi won't cover it and it's Stasis-related, Stasis will make it right.

Personally, I don't think it's worth 3x the price of APR.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I looked into STASIS as well as Stevens Creek Audi apparently is a STASIS reseller but its more expensive and does not offer all the features that APR offers.

Regarding APR, I sent them an email after I picked up the car from Precision Motorworks but did not get any response yet - maybe its because of the holidays, so lets wait and see what happens next week - I hope I still get the discounted price whenever the upgrade is available. I will let you know what happens next.

Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Allroad

BTW - I did the APR upgrade on the allroad 4.2 and was very happy with it. I got the full package and usually run it at 91 - or in valet mode so the hotel guys could not speed through the parking lot. As you all said, its worth doing specifically at the discounted price.