Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tailgate height for shorter persons

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate height for shorter persons

We just bought a 2012 Q5 and my wife absolutely loves it, but at 5' 2" she has trouble closing the tailgate. She needs to jump to reach it, and because it requires some force to close it, even jumping doesn't always work. I'm thinking of trying to attach a strap that hangs down within reach, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious place to attach a strap on the tailgate. Is anybody else having this problem and have you found a way to solve it?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the power tailgate? If you do, the tailgate can be programmed to open to a shorter height where your wife could more easily reach the button to close it. On the non-power tailgate models, I don't know if there is a way to change how far it opens.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
Do you have the power tailgate? If you do, the tailgate can be programmed to open to a shorter height where your wife could more easily reach the button to close it. On the non-power tailgate models, I don't know if there is a way to change how far it opens.
I don't have the power tailgate unfortunately. I intentionally didn't want there power tailgate when I ordered because it just seemed like something prone to breaking and I've never seen opening and closing the tailgate as an inconvenience. It never occurred to me that height could be an issue because she had no difficulty at all with closing the tailgate on the X5 we had before we replaced it with the Q5.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do a search for a company called Kufatec.
Some have had issues with earlier versions so ask plenty of questions. They may have a solotion for you.
You may also consider putting in a strap to hang down to help her.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1atlas
Do a search for a company called Kufatec.
Some have had issues with earlier versions so ask plenty of questions. They may have a solotion for you.
You may also consider putting in a strap to hang down to help her.
Thanks so much for identifying this -- it looks great! I found this youtube video of one on a Q7 and it looks perfect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANSSKGrEkY

I am definitely in for this if it works. The product page is here:

http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=1126

There are a couple requirements at the bottom of the product page cut & pasted below:

- This module can only be used for car's that are equipped with an electric trunk.
- Suitable for the Audi Q5 from interface Software-Index 1.48

I sent them a note to find out if it's compatible with a 2012 Q5 (I also asked whether it's ok to still close manually on occasion when this is installed).

Thanks again -- this looks like the perfect solution if it works for the 2012.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you still need the power lift gate hardware to make that work....
Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rs4-380
you still need the power lift gate hardware to make that work....
Thanks for clarifying this. So I guess this device just improves control of the power lift rather than adding power lift to one that doesn't have it.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

its not a magic bullet. No amount of computer reprogramming you do will allow the lift gate to open and close itself unless you have the hardware to actually do the lifting.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rs4-380
its not a magic bullet. No amount of computer reprogramming you do will allow the lift gate to open and close itself unless you have the hardware to actually do the lifting.
Part of my misunderstanding was due to language differences -- I interpreted "electric trunk" as electric release. If they said "power lift" instead, then it would have been abundantly clear (although for someone without the factory lift it isn't immediately clear why anything would be needed beyond what the factory provides). From skimming the description and video, I thought it included some type of lift hardware and wasn't just reprogramming -- though it seemed WAY too good to be true at that price. I appreciate your help -- could have very easily made a mistake and ordered it.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

What was the solution at the end? Wife is short as well, and we are considering buying one without power tailgate, just the base model.

Quick Reply: Tailgate height for shorter persons