Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Take bumper off to change rear lower light?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Take bumper off to change rear lower light?!

So I finally got my 2009 Q5 back from the body shop, they refinished the bumper and quarter panel. First night back, the rear bumper light is out, I just brought it back expecting a simple flip of the square panel, maybe two or three screw and the light assembly would pop out, like in all the videos and discussions i have read. But nope, they tell me there is no screw under the little square panel, and the only way to change the bulb is to take off the entire bumper?! Someone please help, this can not be right.. Why do I not have the screw under the removable panel on the bumper, where the tow hooks are?!

please help....
Old 08-04-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by josepeter22
So I finally got my 2009 Q5 back from the body shop, they refinished the bumper and quarter panel. First night back, the rear bumper light is out, I just brought it back expecting a simple flip of the square panel, maybe two or three screw and the light assembly would pop out, like in all the videos and discussions i have read. But nope, they tell me there is no screw under the little square panel, and the only way to change the bulb is to take off the entire bumper?! Someone please help, this can not be right.. Why do I not have the screw under the removable panel on the bumper, where the tow hooks are?!

please help....
Look way up in there behind the tow hook cover. The screw should be surrounded by a piece of red plastic that keeps it from falling out of the light assembly. Should be a Phillips head
Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Here:
https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...hts/tail_light
Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Even in broad daylight, yo will probably need a flashlight or damned good eyes to spot that screw. It is tucked UP behind the bumper skin, where it is guaranteed to be hiding in the shadows.

And when you pop out the access panel? Beware, especially if the bumper was refinished. They often take a little bit of paint with them when popped out. Some Mickey Mouse engineering was done here. A number of other users report those panels falling out while on the road, so you may also want to use a dab of silicone or other weak adhesive when you pop it back it, to make sure it stays on.

FWIW.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Even in broad daylight, yo will probably need a flashlight or damned good eyes to spot that screw. It is tucked UP behind the bumper skin, where it is guaranteed to be hiding in the shadows.

And when you pop out the access panel? Beware, especially if the bumper was refinished. They often take a little bit of paint with them when popped out. Some Mickey Mouse engineering was done here. A number of other users report those panels falling out while on the road, so you may also want to use a dab of silicone or other weak adhesive when you pop it back it, to make sure it stays on.

FWIW.
Yes!! I found it, you guys always seem to know the answer, the screw sure is well hidden! One more question, how come the bulb did not appear to be blown, rather it just was not working? The bulb that was pulled out, which was not lighting up and causing the dummy light to come on, appears to be perfectly fine. Does this mean the harness needs to be replaced? What could of happened here?

I am happy that the bumper was able to stay on! Now I need to get to the root of the problem.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Could be the wire is disconnected, cut, or pinched somewhere. Perhaps between that bulb and the other one. You might have to test the circuit from someplace like the rear fuse area where there is access, and then again under the rear bumper cover. (A job perhaps requested of the body shop, since they are the ones who were under there, and you've just confirmed the bulb didn't blow.)
Old 08-04-2016, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have access to a ohmmeter, you can check the bulb filament. Sometimes filaments appear to be intact, but actually have a tiny break in the filament that's almost invisible to the naked eye. If the bulb is burned out, just replace it with a new bulb and see if it works. If not, follow Redd's advice to pinpoint the fault in the circuit. I strongly suspect the body shop damaged the circuit inadvertently when they were working on your car.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"I strongly suspect "
Whaddaya mean, I shouldn't use the five pound maul to adjust the computer? The ball peen hammer will be enough?

Kinda like the old "GO ARMY" tv commercial where Bubba is saying "Ah cudn't change t'earl on my ole pickup truck, an now the Army has taught me how to maintain these Blackhawk helowcopters!"

Some things, you know, they just go against nature.(G)
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that it adds value here but i learned that the Home Depot shopping is exactly at the proper level to crush through the lens of the bumper light assembly. The dealer had plenty in stock at about $180.