Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI Stalled. Gel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TDI Stalled. Gel?

This morning, I went to start my TDI. Started up just fine. Since i've been having an issue where the engine cranks for a while before starting, I left the ignition on for a few seconds. Since it's been cold for the past few days here in the Northeast, I let it idle a bit before setting off. As I got a few blocks away from my house, I heard a high pitched electrical noise, like a pump struggling to work. The engine then started stuttering. I pulled over to the side, I wasn't going more than 20mph since i set off from my driveway, just slowly cruising through the neighborhood. The engine then idled very rough and stalled out. I was a bit confused because the glow plug light kept blinking as well as this happened.

I started her up again and she started just fine, put her in gear, made it a half a block before doing the same thing. jerking, stuttering and eventually stalling. The service engine light came on as well as ESP/ABS disabled. As it jerked, relays were clicking. Give the car some throttle and it would just die. My average mpg dropped to 5mpg. Thats when I decided to park her and call Roadside. Audi Roadside showed up about an hour and a half later after being on hold for a good 20 minutes. They sent a flat bed tow truck to take my car and i to the dealer.

It has been cold here in NYC for the past few days. (I was in Florida so I don't know) The car did sit outside in the cold and has not been driven very much since Saturday. It was driven Monday for a little bit as well. The car had 3/4 tank of fuel, last filled up on New Years day.

I find it hard to believe my fuel gelled up. Shouldn't our cars have a fuel heater to prevent this? Shouldn't our fuel be winterized enough to not require an additive? Especially since these cars work in colder climates with no problems. Not very happy about this situation. At least my dealer was able to get me a loaner (reluctantly) They said they got a couple Q7 TDI's with the same issue so thats what they think it is....

I'm worried about the fuel system, the fuel pumps and such since they weren't sucking any fuel. I know some of you guys live in colder climates and have had no issues. I'll keep you guys posted when my SA calls tomorrow. Good night!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like not so much fun. Good luck with the service call.

I had the same issue with my A3 TDI last winter - exact same operating condition. It did turn out just to be the diesel in the fuel line had gelled, and as soon as it warmed up in the Service garage, operated fine without issue. Audi reminded me to use top-tier fuel, which was a meaningless reminder given my exclusive use of Shell. Nonetheless, I never had another issue.

I'm with you that this should not be an expected behavior. In the Northeast, stations should have switched over to winter blend diesel a while back. Perhaps the fuel station still had too much summer blend mixed in their tanks... Others likely have other recommendations.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

ULSD holds more water. The water tends to ice over the fuel filter during this very cold weather. I use an additive that keeps that water moving and prevents icing.

It's virtually impossible to control/regulate the quality and dryness of the fuel we buy. Taking an extra step by adding an additive during cold weather is prudent, IME.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That fuel filter is heated by return flow after the pump
Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other side of diesels . . . . make sure you are getting Nbr 1 (winter) diesel when you fuel.

Last edited by acadianbob; 01-09-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry to hear that...

I'm up in Westchester, so probably 5 degrees colder than you. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems. It is garaged overnight in a non-heated garage that gets down about 25F or so. But during the workday, it sits outside for roughly 10 hours. Past few days have been around 10F. The only thing I have noticed is a longer delay to actually start, but no rough idle, and certainly nothing like what you experienced.

Good luck with everything, I hope it works out OK.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the power service additive in all my diesel trucks here in Colorado. The white bottle is for winter and the gray is for summer. I run the white in every tank in the winter and the grey about every 3 tank in the summer. I have never had a issue. They make the red 911 but never have used it. Google. Powerservice diesel additive.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Power Service products.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had the same issue with mine and it's been to the shop twice! 2014 Q5 TDI with flashing glow plug light followed by stalling. First time they replace the fuel pump control module and second time they replaced the fuel pump. Out of service 15+ days...Not happy being the car only has 1500 miles.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
This morning, I went to start my TDI. Started up just fine. Since i've been having an issue where the engine cranks for a while before starting, I left the ignition on for a few seconds. Since it's been cold for the past few days here in the Northeast, I let it idle a bit before setting off. As I got a few blocks away from my house, I heard a high pitched electrical noise, like a pump struggling to work. The engine then started stuttering. I pulled over to the side, I wasn't going more than 20mph since i set off from my driveway, just slowly cruising through the neighborhood. The engine then idled very rough and stalled out. I was a bit confused because the glow plug light kept blinking as well as this happened.

I started her up again and she started just fine, put her in gear, made it a half a block before doing the same thing. jerking, stuttering and eventually stalling. The service engine light came on as well as ESP/ABS disabled. As it jerked, relays were clicking. Give the car some throttle and it would just die. My average mpg dropped to 5mpg. Thats when I decided to park her and call Roadside. Audi Roadside showed up about an hour and a half later after being on hold for a good 20 minutes. They sent a flat bed tow truck to take my car and i to the dealer.

It has been cold here in NYC for the past few days. (I was in Florida so I don't know) The car did sit outside in the cold and has not been driven very much since Saturday. It was driven Monday for a little bit as well. The car had 3/4 tank of fuel, last filled up on New Years day.

I find it hard to believe my fuel gelled up. Shouldn't our cars have a fuel heater to prevent this? Shouldn't our fuel be winterized enough to not require an additive? Especially since these cars work in colder climates with no problems. Not very happy about this situation. At least my dealer was able to get me a loaner (reluctantly) They said they got a couple Q7 TDI's with the same issue so thats what they think it is....

I'm worried about the fuel system, the fuel pumps and such since they weren't sucking any fuel. I know some of you guys live in colder climates and have had no issues. I'll keep you guys posted when my SA calls tomorrow. Good night!
Sure sounds like a cloud point issue which is paraffin wax crystals precipitating in the fuel. Diesel fuel (#2) i is normally blended with a bit of kerosene (#1) to depress the cloud point in the winter, but this is something the supplier should do. I think you'd risk warranty issues if you did it yourself. Kerosene doesn't lubricate injector nozzles as well as diesel.

I wonder if your local gas station doesn't turn over the diesel fuel inventory fast enough... Perhaps your last tankful was fuel that was dropped a couple months ago?

Quick Reply: TDI Stalled. Gel?