Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Test Drove 2013 3.0t

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Test Drove 2013 3.0t

Stopped by my Audi dealer today to take a 2013 3.0t for a test drive today. I had a 2013 A6 3.0t loaner car a few weeks ago and loved it. Great electronics, amazing comfort and smoothness and so much power!

I had a 2009 3.2 Premium Plus, now have a 2012 2.0t Premium Plus.

Besides the fact that overall the vehicle has been the same for the past 4 years, only the price has kept going up. As many of you know, I dislike the 2.0t. I traded in the 3.2 because I got a good deal and thought ok, I could give up the power for better mileage. Unfortunately, combined i see 1-2mpg better, city i see 3 mpg better but on the highway I see 2-3 mpg less and it has a lot less power for highway driving and is constantly downshifting. Many have said, get a tune but I don't plan on keeping it for long and I like my warranty.

The 2013 electronics are nice, the heated seats button is much nicer. I love the sport seats, Not as good as BMW's but definitely a nice addition. I like the 3 spoke steering and paddle shifters too.

The engine is amazing. I really enjoyed it in the A6 and although this one is detuned it still feels great. Feels like the 3.2 did, very smooth and linear. I know many of you dislike the 3.2 engine and not just for carbon build up issues but for its time, that was a really good engine. It did get outdated but back in 09' it was great and when it was out in 06' and earlier it was a top competitor. The new 3.0t engine uses a very similar block to the 3.2 too. The blower adds lots of torque and power everywhere. Top gear acceleration is impressive too. I loved my 3.2. I fell out of love with the 2.0t, i fell back in love with the 3.0t

My biggest complaint is the steering. The electric steering has no feel whatsoever. It is complete garbage, The A6 was the same way too. I hate it. On highway speeds it feels so light. When turning it feels artificial. It gives no road feedback. No feedback with the car. It is horrendous.

All in all, I liked it. Might wait to see what the TDI does, however, it was 51k for this model 3.0t. How much will a tdi cost? 55k?

Look at the Q7 gas vs. diesel.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post, man!
Thank You! Didn't made my way to local dealership yet.
But saw a smile face of my wife a month ago when we test drive a X5 and I think she made her mind.
My strategy take a back to back 2 test drives and see if 3.0T is really deal beaker.
Regarding electric steering has no feel whatsoever - my words exactly after test drive 535.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coolieman, just over a month ago I traded my '11 3.2 for a 3.0T. I do recognize the steering feedback is different, but I have absolutely no regrets. The refinements, engine, transmission and Sport interior made it for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
... I know many of you dislike the 3.2 engine and not just for carbon build up issues but for its time, that was a really good engine. It did get outdated but back in 09' it was great and when it was out in 06' and earlier it was a top competitor. The new 3.0t engine uses a very similar block to the 3.2 too. The blower adds lots of torque and power everywhere. Top gear acceleration is impressive too. I loved my 3.2. I fell out of love with the 2.0t, i fell back in love with the 3.0t...
I love our 3.2 motor-in fact, when I got 2.0T loaner, my wife said:"I want my Q5 back, I don't like this one" (2.0T). When I asked "why". she replied: "It does not feel the same, it does not pull, it's noisy". The wife had no idea that the loaner had 4-cyl. motor...
I also like the 6-speed better then 8-speed, esp. w/ 3.2 motor.
I don't even know why have 8-speeds-too much gear shifting/hunting=increased wear/less reliable.
So far no carbon build up issues after 30K miles, 95% city driving...
And I can use mid-grade gas in 3.2L-try that in 4-cyl. turbo...
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

In mid-January, I test drove the Q5 2.0T and 3.0T back-to-back, on two consecutive weekends, for 45 minutes each on various roads: freeway, highway passing, steep grades, curves, and city streets. Having done research and decided on this car, I wanted to convince myself which one to buy. The 2.0T seemed to have enough power in the city and on the level roads, but when asked for guts on the grades and in passing, it sure gets noisy and thrashy. Living in the mountains of Colorado, I decided on the 3.0T for the long mountain grades and our typical road trips in the west. The 3.0T did feel a little heavier in the nose on curves, but I could keep it directed and level with a little throttle. I'm a pretty sane driver, but I do like to toss a car around at times, and the EM steering is not a negative for me; it does what I ask. Otherwise the sheer smoothness and quiet of the 3.0T at all RPMs made it a sweet choice. It never felt strained, and pulling from a stop was effortless. As for the 8-speed tranny, it'll be in manual mode except on straights and flats. It makes driving fun, and helps the mpg. My wife loves it too, and she'll drive it a lot. Decision made, 3.0T P+ on order.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
I love our 3.2 motor-in fact, when I got 2.0T loaner, my wife said:"I want my Q5 back, I don't like this one" (2.0T). When I asked "why". she replied: "It does not feel the same, it does not pull, it's noisy". The wife had no idea that the loaner had 4-cyl. motor...
I also like the 6-speed better then 8-speed, esp. w/ 3.2 motor.
I don't even know why have 8-speeds-too much gear shifting/hunting=increased wear/less reliable.
So far no carbon build up issues after 30K miles, 95% city driving...
And I can use mid-grade gas in 3.2L-try that in 4-cyl. turbo...
There is no gear hunting with the 8 speed when used with the 3.0. A great combo.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tried both 2.0 and 3.0 on local road only. I was really surprise how great the 2.0 motor sound. It was lively, a bit weak on power, and gear hunting.

I immediate felt 3.0 is heavy (not as lively), engine sound was not as good but strong power and not much gear hunting.

For extra $2K+ and less 2mpg, it is no doubt 3.0 is a better option for me. Going to order one on this coming week.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NABS4
There is no gear hunting with the 8 speed when used with the 3.0. A great combo.
The gear box is tuned for economy rather than sport when in drive and I find that she changes gears what I believe unnecessary. Less so than the 2.0T or when in Sport mode.

It is an easy task to take over with the steering wheel flippers or to slap her into Sport mode.

Moving from the '11 2.0T to the 3.0T is a huge difference and the 3.0T is VERY sweet.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ipoh
Tried both 2.0 and 3.0 on local road only. I was really surprise how great the 2.0 motor sound. It was lively, a bit weak on power, and gear hunting.

I immediate felt 3.0 is heavy (not as lively), engine sound was not as good but strong power and not much gear hunting.

For extra $2K+ and less 2mpg, it is no doubt 3.0 is a better option for me. Going to order one on this coming week.
I have a 2013 Q5 2.0 on order. I only test drove the 2.0 which I thought I wanted due to the lower price and better cruising range (due to +2-3 mpg). The 2.0 seems to have very good power on local roads and the freeway and a mountain road climbing at about 40-50 mph. But I didn't try it at freeway speeds climbing a mountain grade, like I-80 from Sacramento to Tahoe. Please tell me that I won't regret my choice of the 2.0 for mountain grades at freeway speed. I remember following a 2.0 once climbing I-80 in my 2001 A4 2.8V6 thinking, wow, I could hardly keep up with it...
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I have a 2013 Q5 2.0 on order. I only test drove the 2.0 which I thought I wanted due to the lower price and better cruising range (due to +2-3 mpg). The 2.0 seems to have very good power on local roads and the freeway and a mountain road climbing at about 40-50 mph. But I didn't try it at freeway speeds climbing a mountain grade, like I-80 from Sacramento to Tahoe. Please tell me that I won't regret my choice of the 2.0 for mountain grades at freeway speed. I remember following a 2.0 once climbing I-80 in my 2001 A4 2.8V6 thinking, wow, I could hardly keep up with it...
I've driven that road a few times (have relatives in Truckee), and I think you'll be OK if there's only yourself and another person. If you're loaded up with people, gear and a box, I would advise going with the 3.0. The V6 will be more relaxed in all conditions.

Quick Reply: Test Drove 2013 3.0t