Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Test Drove 2013 3.0t

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't driven the 3.0T in the Q, but know how sweet this engine is. It's in my S5.
Only way the 3.0T Q5 could be improved on, is if it had the dual clutch S-tronic. This tranny is super fast and sweet shifting.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Reno and drive to Tahoe often. I test drove both motors up Mount Rose highway, and the 2.0 was OK but in the end I felt like the 3.0 was a steal at only $2K more.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER
I live in Reno and drive to Tahoe often. I test drove both motors up Mount Rose highway, and the 2.0 was OK but in the end I felt like the 3.0 was a steal at only $2K more.
I drove part way up the Mt. Rose highway during my 2.0 test drive. It seemed fine but wish I had driven a 3.0 now. All they had at the time was a 2012 3.2.

When did you order your Q5?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I drove part way up the Mt. Rose highway during my 2.0 test drive. It seemed fine but wish I had driven a 3.0 now. All they had at the time was a 2012 3.2.

When did you order your Q5?
I'm going with Neillo in sac, the order should go in this week
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
But saw a smile face of my wife a month ago when we test drive a X5 and I think she made her mind.
My strategy take a back to back 2 test drives and see if 3.0T is really deal beaker.
Regarding electric steering has no feel whatsoever - my words exactly after test drive 535.
Which engine was the X5? I test drove the 35d and loved it. Then again I have that same motor in my 335d and it is one of the best engines I have ever had the pleasure to experience. I have not driven the 535 but I have driven the F30 328 which has electric steering and I loathed it in that application. As a matter of fact, for the F10 M5, BMW has gone back to hydraulic rack steering.

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Coolieman, just over a month ago I traded my '11 3.2 for a 3.0T. I do recognize the steering feedback is different, but I have absolutely no regrets. The refinements, engine, transmission and Sport interior made it for me.
I will agree with you. I hate electric assisted steerings and I've driven many new cars that use it and I hate it most of the time. However the engine and seats would be enough to make me over look the steering.

Originally Posted by m1964
I love our 3.2 motor-in fact, when I got 2.0T loaner, my wife said:"I want my Q5 back, I don't like this one" (2.0T). When I asked "why". she replied: "It does not feel the same, it does not pull, it's noisy". The wife had no idea that the loaner had 4-cyl. motor...
I also like the 6-speed better then 8-speed, esp. w/ 3.2 motor.
I don't even know why have 8-speeds-too much gear shifting/hunting=increased wear/less reliable.
So far no carbon build up issues after 30K miles, 95% city driving...
And I can use mid-grade gas in 3.2L-try that in 4-cyl. turbo...
I don't realize why so many people love the 2.0t over the 3.2. Now with the 3.0t there is a much bigger more defined gap. At first I did not like 8 speeds but with a powerful engine they are really nice when they dont need to downshift much. My biggest issue is when you're in 8th gear, you have to drop 3 gears to get good power. I wish it would go for 8 to 6 or 5 when you go into manual mode.

Originally Posted by mjm3457
In mid-January, I test drove the Q5 2.0T and 3.0T back-to-back, on two consecutive weekends, for 45 minutes each on various roads: freeway, highway passing, steep grades, curves, and city streets. Having done research and decided on this car, I wanted to convince myself which one to buy. The 2.0T seemed to have enough power in the city and on the level roads, but when asked for guts on the grades and in passing, it sure gets noisy and thrashy. Living in the mountains of Colorado, I decided on the 3.0T for the long mountain grades and our typical road trips in the west. The 3.0T did feel a little heavier in the nose on curves, but I could keep it directed and level with a little throttle. I'm a pretty sane driver, but I do like to toss a car around at times, and the EM steering is not a negative for me; it does what I ask. Otherwise the sheer smoothness and quiet of the 3.0T at all RPMs made it a sweet choice. It never felt strained, and pulling from a stop was effortless. As for the 8-speed tranny, it'll be in manual mode except on straights and flats. It makes driving fun, and helps the mpg. My wife loves it too, and she'll drive it a lot. Decision made, 3.0T P+ on order.
The electric steering works, it just doesn't feel right. i dont feel connected to the road using it. I recently drove to Vermont for skiing and the poor 2.0t struggled to go up the hills on the interstate on I89. I felt bad for the motor. The 2.0t does feel lighter and more nimble but the 3.0t feels more planted. They both handle equally well.

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Haven't driven the 3.0T in the Q, but know how sweet this engine is. It's in my S5.
Only way the 3.0T Q5 could be improved on, is if it had the dual clutch S-tronic. This tranny is super fast and sweet shifting.
Double clutch tranny's are nice, too bad not many vehicles come with them here.

Recently I went skiing in the 2.0t, full load, 5 people, roof racks with 4 skis. Got an average of 19.5-20mpg. Did the same trip in my 3.2 and got 21.5mpg. I think the 2.0t when under boost (heavy loads) it gets garbage mileage, especially on the highway. I really suggest to go with the 3.0t if you're doing a lot of highway especially mountain driving.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
My biggest complaint is the steering. The electric steering has no feel whatsoever. It is complete garbage, The A6 was the same way too. I hate it. On highway speeds it feels so light. When turning it feels artificial. It gives no road feedback. No feedback with the car. It is horrendous.
Have you looked into a VAGCOM setting that may reduce the boost in the steering. IIRC, there was a setting on my VW Golf that could be changed that would increase/decrease steering boost. Maybe "Steering Assist, Adaptation"...can't remember if it even applies to the Q5 or any Audi models for that matter.
Might be worth looking into if you do decide to get the 3.0T.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"I don't realize why so many people love the 2.0t over the 3.2. Now with the 3.0t there is a much bigger more defined gap. At first I did not like 8 speeds but with a powerful engine they are really nice when they dont need to downshift much. My biggest issue is when you're in 8th gear, you have to drop 3 gears to get good power. I wish it would go for 8 to 6 or 5 when you go into manual mode."

These are very close ratio transmissions. The change from 8-7 is minimal at best, feels more like a double overdrive. Even 8-6 is not really noticeable. Not like your old 4-5 speeds, where a gear change would jerk the car.

The goal of downshifting is to keep the engine in its optimal RPM range for the power you need. With smaller, higher tuned engines (especially turbos), you need to be up there in the RPMs.

Larger motors can pull power torque from a wider range of RPMS, hence less of a need for a 7-8 speed.

I do agree, I wish I could shift from 8-5 using the tiptronic, but as with any of these systems, it's just not possible (that I know of). Still, the Audi's levers are very fast clicks, much quicker than the floor shifter.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on the tuning and where they want the power ...
high rpm hp or low rpm torque...
my 'other car' has 800 lbft available @ 1600 rpms, which makes for very little 'drama' at high rpm, but lot's of PUSH at lower rpms..

and to the point of '2.0T love' - it may be other factors.

They offer all kinds of colors in everything -
individuals can get what THEY want, not what they are told they SHOULD want

The Q is the wife's car and to her "function follows form",
it is an appliance to her, just has to look good (a Keurig versus a Mr. Coffee if you will!)

so the styling is what she liked and just so long as it gets her to the office and she doesn't have to stop every other day for fuel, she's good !

given that it's her girlie commuter - the 8 speed and mpg is why I got the Q and 2.ohT in 2011, an early adopter if you will since it wasn't offered with the other engine.

so enjoy what you have and don't have TOO much disdain for us lesser drivers...
maybe our other car makes up for the size difference

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 02-05-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an example..
which dyno below is better ?

Hint, it depends...
on what you are trying to do with the tool:
In my application the higher and longer (duration) of the torque curve is better whereas someone else may be more interested in the small window where peak is higher...
neither is wrong, just what you intend to do...
in everyday driving more 'under the curve' is my favorite...
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
so enjoy what you have and don't have TOO much disdain for us lesser drivers...
maybe our other car makes up for the size difference
And thats why I have a motorcycle and a BMW 335d! =)

Quick Reply: Test Drove 2013 3.0t