Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thoughts on Steering Wheel Controls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Steering Wheel Controls?

I've had my Q5 for about a month now (already 1200 miles on it!) and overall I love it. I didn't think I'd like the ride as much as my former X3 (which had very sporty handling, lots of torque), but the Audi has grown on me more and more everyday. Curious to get others' thoughts on the steering wheel controls, which have been one of the few dim spots for me. The scroll wheel on the left to go through the stations is hard to pinpoint and it's really distracting trying to find the right station and click on it with precision. I hope I don't get into an accident at some point! My X3 was much easier.. just simple directional buttons, no scroll, and no need to look down at anything. Anyone else have thoughts on this, or tips on how to navigate stations a little easier?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have you tried using voice control to change stations? There are some good third generation MMI video tutorials at http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...ner=layerModal

I just ran through the voice-command training via the MMI last night but haven't had much of a chance to test it thoroughly. From the training, it looks like we should be able to even request Sirius channels by name. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to test all of the voice-activated capabilities.

2010 Q5 Prestige / Luxury
Quartz Gray / Light Gray Milano / Fine Grain Ash
Audi Drive Select (loving the ADS!)
Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

voice recognition is for telephone and navigation, (sadly) not for the radio
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did not like that the volume control was on the right and the selector was on the left. i normally drive with my left hand. i like the layout of the buttons on my G35, simple and easy. Media on left, cruise on right. the cruise control is a bit confusing at first, i also wish the cancel feature was pull up instead of push back.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also found the control's uncomfortable at first, but as I have become used to them over the past 5 months, my use of them has become more and more intuitive and now I actually like everything the way it is. Guess its normal when moving from one car's setup to the next to find it akward at first. Kinda like moving from PC to Mac, but you won't want to go back!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The station changing is very awkward. It takes one press to call up the display, a very precise scroll movement to highlight the next station, and a final press (try not to scroll also) to select! I can't see this button's operation improving with lots of use either.
It's actually easier to lean forward and use the arrow buttons on the dash!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I find the steering wheel controls a little awkward as well. The SAAB I came from had a much more intuitive interface, having said that I've gotten used to it and it doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the feel and/or sound the mode and voice button have. It just feels and sounds fragile to me, like it's going to break one day.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by x330i
The station changing is very awkward. It takes one press to call up the display, a very precise scroll movement to highlight the next station, and a final press (try not to scroll also) to select! I can't see this button's operation improving with lots of use either.
It's actually easier to lean forward and use the arrow buttons on the dash!
for me,the easiest way to switch to another station is
- to select half a dozen station in the memories
- to set the radio on memories when starting the car
- to use the >> right button below the MMI ****
you can do this with the eyes on the road, all others techniques are disturbing
as I don't like the list of stations on the screen (neither the map when I'm not navigating), I set te screen to "manual" (nice and not moving...)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by guyguyke
voice recognition is for telephone and navigation, (sadly) not for the radio
There are voice command for my radio in my Q5.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the general sentiment here.. I think they tried to get too "cute" with steering wheel controls. You can't change the station and volume on one side, and the scroll definitely requires you to look at the display which obviously is a safety/usability issue.