Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tilting side mirrors in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilting side mirrors in reverse

We picked up a 2016 Q5 2.0 P+ about 2 months ago. So far we have put a little over 1k miles on it and we love it. Question though, when in reverse, is there a way to get the mirror glass to tilt down. Our BMW did it automatically, and my Silverado gives you the choice of either side, both, or neither. Just seems like an obvious miss if its not configurable. I've looked through the MMI and can't seem to find anything. Is this something that needs to be "coded"?
Old 12-19-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Try putting the mirror adjustment selector to the right position. Once in reverse, the mirror will tilt. The option is disable if you select the driver mirror or leave it in the middle. There should be an option in the MMI too. Do you have the driver memory seat? I think the option of the tilting mirror is only with the memory seat package.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do have memory seats but have not been able to find it in MMI. I will try putting the mirror in the right position. With winter here, its nice to leave it in the middle to heat the mirrors and clear them up quickly.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The **** has to be turned to the right mirror.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by immigtc
I do have memory seats but have not been able to find it in MMI. I will try putting the mirror in the right position. With winter here, its nice to leave it in the middle to heat the mirrors and clear them up quickly.
The heated mirror function should work even if the mirror **** is in the R position.

According the the owners manual (page 57 for my car) "depending on the outside temperature, the mirror surfaces are heated until the ignition is turned off - even if the **** is no longer in position A".
Old 12-20-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
The heated mirror function should work even if the mirror **** is in the R position.

According the the owners manual (page 57 for my car) "depending on the outside temperature, the mirror surfaces are heated until the ignition is turned off - even if the **** is no longer in position A".
What that means is if you put it in the heating position A and then move it to the L or R position it will still stay in heating mode until the ignition is turned off. Once you start the car up again with the selector in the L or R position it will not heat until you move it to the heating A position.

I'm like the OP, I like the mirror tilt down so I don't scrape my wheels against the curb during back up, but I forget to put it back in the heating position A when the snow and ice months come. I let my car run to thaw the windows off and when I come out to drive it I say damn I forgot to turn the heated mirrors on.

I don't understand why Audi changed from the recent past models having the heated mirrors come on when the rear defroster was activated. This setup was also very useful to dry off the mirror water droplets even in the hot summer rains. If I wasn't getting so old I would cut the heater element wires to the mirrors, jumper the mirror temperature sensors, and with a relay tap into the rear defroster wire. to control when "I" want the mirrors to be heated at any outside temperature. I did this in my 1997 A4 where the heated mirrors were always constantly on when the engine was running. They burned themselves to death! That was a real stupid design. After about 8 heated mirror replacements (under warranty) I wired the mirror heaters to the rear defroster circuit and the mirror heaters lasted 5 more years without a failure.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The mirror control **** is one of the least intuitive controls in an Audi. It implies that the functions of heating, tilting, adjusting and folding are mutually exclusive. They are not, and the way all those functions are overloaded into a single **** is just confusing.

I would prefer the **** be just for adjusting. Folding, heating and tilt activation should be separate rocker switches or pushbutton toggles.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, the heated mirrors should just come on with the logic of rear defrost. Simple.

On my 2066 325i they come on all the time under I think 45F, which is a wasteful drain on the charging system... and will lead to early failure.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motoguy128
I agree, the heated mirrors should just come on with the logic of rear defrost. Simple.
I would imagine rear defrost is a significant power drain due to the relatively large glass area of the rear window. Maybe Audi does not want you to pay that penalty every time you want your mirrors heated, so that's why the two are separate.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by amstrad
The mirror control **** is one of the least intuitive controls in an Audi. It implies that the functions of heating, tilting, adjusting and folding are mutually exclusive. They are not, and the way all those functions are overloaded into a single **** is just confusing.

I would prefer the **** be just for adjusting. Folding, heating and tilt activation should be separate rocker switches or pushbutton toggles.
Right!? I just noticed that last week... First time to be cold in San Antonio since getting the 2016 a7. Really have to be familiar with that manual.,,. I don't imagine old people or women being successful using all these weird things.

Quick Reply: Tilting side mirrors in reverse