Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Time to say goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Time to say goodbye

After having a wonderful 14 months with my '11 Q5, I will be acquiring a new car in ~10 days. I am still a little shocked but I am ready for a new beginning. I am going for a 'greener' car. I understand not everyone will agree with me but I've been contemplating this for a while now and finally took the plunge this weekend.

Before I trade in my Q5, I have the weather mats (front and rear) for sale. Any interest please do not hesitate to private message me. I will also post a classified about this later.

Thanks for everyone who helped me in the past. Will miss this great forum for sure. But I will still have my Q7 TDI and yes you will still see me around. Good luck to all Q5 owners and enjoy your car!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shocking! a Nissan Leaf! good luck with it!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9Nit-3VDg
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIME89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZziK9yqgV5c
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
shocking! a Nissan Leaf! good luck with it!
No, I've been driving a Nissan LEAF now since May. It has over 6000 miles now and haven't been to the gas station a trip at all. This 2012 car will be my third car replacing the Q5. And it will be another green car!

Last edited by Houstonmobilian; 10-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just use one car, and I usually walk, bike, or take the train to my office (about 3 miles.) This setup leaves us effectively unconcerned with the gas mileage and green-ness of the car. Even now, we only put on about 10-12k miles year, and hopefully my wife will soon have a new job only 1 mile from our house -- aiming to get down to 5k miles year between the two of us.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Houstonmobilian
No, I've been driving a Nissan LEAF now since May. It has over 6000 miles now and haven't been to the gas station a trip at all. This 2012 car will be my third car replacing the Q5. And it will be another green car!
So what will this Q killer be? I'm very curious what vehicle won out over the Q.

I commend your devotion to green vehicles. We tried it last year with a mercury milan hybrid. It was one of the better recommended hybrids, but it just wasn't for us for various reasons. We'd really like diesel in our Audis, but they seem to be taking forever to roll that out in the US.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
So what will this Q killer be? I'm very curious what vehicle won out over the Q.

I commend your devotion to green vehicles. We tried it last year with a mercury milan hybrid. It was one of the better recommended hybrids, but it just wasn't for us for various reasons. We'd really like diesel in our Audis, but they seem to be taking forever to roll that out in the US.
It's not a Q killer by any means. I just felt that there's no reason to have 2 SUVs in a house. That's all. I am leaning towards a hybrid car that can give me more than 40 mpg combined (hint hint!)
Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by woolie
We just use one car, and I usually walk, bike, or take the train to my office (about 3 miles.) This setup leaves us effectively unconcerned with the gas mileage and green-ness of the car. Even now, we only put on about 10-12k miles year, and hopefully my wife will soon have a new job only 1 mile from our house -- aiming to get down to 5k miles year between the two of us.
living in NYC, during the day when i can walk or take public transport i try to.

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant

Totally agree with diesels, BMW 335d and Jetta TDi. awesome vehicles.

It's not a Q killer by any means. I just felt that there's no reason to have 2 SUVs in a house. That's all. I am leaning towards a hybrid car that can give me more than 40 mpg combined (hint hint!)
not a honda CRX, Lexus CT? hmm i hate hybrids =( Diesels are so much better...
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the hybrid thing works for you. We really liked ours at first, but after about 6000 miles were on the vehicle the transitions from electric to gas became rougher and rougher, and this weird whistling/whining noise developed that occurred a few MPH before the switchover to all gas would have occurred. We inquired about this, and after testing other ford hybrids, we discovered they all seemed to have that, some less pronounced than others. If it hadn't been for those two things, we'd probably still have the hybrid, and just have a Q5. The milan hybrid was averaging around 38 MPG, which in Philly traffic is amazing. Our previous Q averaged 16.5 and the A4 averages 19.3, all manual calculations, not car computer supplied. If you ever think of it, after you've had your new hybrid for a while, private message me, and let me know how you're liking it. I'll be very curious.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye