Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tinting the front windows to match the factory rear window tint.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tinting the front windows to match the factory rear window tint.

I've always been a believer in an even tint all around, even though technically in my jurisdiction you are allowed to go as dark as you want with any of the rear windows.

Now seeing as the Q5 in Canada comes already "lightly" tinted in the rear, my plan is to not touch those windows and have the fronts tinted to be an exact match.

Has anyone who has tinted the front windows had success in making a perfect match to the factory rear tint?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had the front driver and passenger side windows tinted, but didn't match the privacy tint on the rears. In Illinois to be legal you can only go 50% tint on the front side windows, if you have privacy in the back, so that's what I did. They don't match as well as I'd like, but not too bad IMO.

A good tint shop can advise you on the how to get the best match. I think the privacy tint is something like 20%.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 07-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good shop that handles 3M products can do it. While it is there, tint the sunroof.....you'll be able to feel the difference, instantly.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently used 30%, it's really close just a little lighter. I'm glad I didn't go 20%
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks.

My car isn't due until September, so it will be the front tinting only for now.
I'll wait until next summer to see how (un?)bearable the roof is sans tint.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Matching Tint

Hi Guys -

My dealer offered tint match when I picked up the 2014. I don't know what the percentages were, but the match looks good. Be careful that you match the transmittance percentage **AND** the color. Some tints are more greenish versus more smokeish. I've posted pictures here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2849700&page=2

If you look back earlier in that thread, you can see the car both with and without the tint.

They did invisible "bra" and front tints for $900. The windows were $100 each, bra was $700. This is probably $200 more (total) than an independent shop, but they did all the work in house and it is guaranteed by my dealer, so if something goes wrong I'll just take it back to them.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
Hi Guys -

My dealer offered tint match when I picked up the 2014. I don't know what the percentages were, but the match looks good. Be careful that you match the transmittance percentage **AND** the color. Some tints are more greenish versus more smokeish. I've posted pictures here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2849700&page=2

If you look back earlier in that thread, you can see the car both with and without the tint.

They did invisible "bra" and front tints for $900. The windows were $100 each, bra was $700. This is probably $200 more (total) than an independent shop, but they did all the work in house and it is guaranteed by my dealer, so if something goes wrong I'll just take it back to them.
Thanks for the info.
The front looks *slightly* lighter in the pics, but I would be happy if I can get mine that close.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Thanks for the info.
The front looks *slightly* lighter in the pics, but I would be happy if I can get mine that close.
Have you done this on other cars you've owned? It's extremely hard to get a match. Good tint shops will have a "tint gun" similar to the ones cops have which identify the percentage of light that goes thru. That will give you an estimate as to what percentage to use, but still isn't perfect.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tinting is GREAT

I had our 2013 Q5 hybrid sunroof tinted with 20% Huber Optik and the front windows with 30% Huber Optik. We just drove thru the Central CA valley, and it was very nice inside.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Have you done this on other cars you've owned? It's extremely hard to get a match. Good tint shops will have a "tint gun" similar to the ones cops have which identify the percentage of light that goes thru. That will give you an estimate as to what percentage to use, but still isn't perfect.
My tint shop metered my rear glass at approximately 27%. I was just curious, as I was going with the legal 35% for my fronts no matter what the rears were. Even though the fronts are slightly lighter, I was more than satisfied with the outcome.

Quick Reply: Tinting the front windows to match the factory rear window tint.