Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tinting the Panoroof??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting the Panoroof??

Hi All,

I absolutely love the pano roof in my Q5, but on bright sunny California days it lets in way too much (EVEN with the roof shade closed). So I was wondering if anyone has ever tinted their Q5 moonroof?

I am a bit concerned the constant DIRECT sunlight would be a bad thing. Especially during the summer.

Has anyone tried going the tint route? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianq
Hi All,

I absolutely love the pano roof in my Q5, but on bright sunny California days it lets in way too much (EVEN with the roof shade closed). So I was wondering if anyone has ever tinted their Q5 moonroof?

I am a bit concerned the constant DIRECT sunlight would be a bad thing. Especially during the summer.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, my dealer tinted for me when I purchased the car.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks in advance.
Had mine done at 20%...much better at keeping sun out when you don't want/need it.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also requested mine to be tinted when they apply the clear bra
Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had mine also tinted w/ huper optic it makes a world of differance. The installer said that it was a pain in the neck to do it. Make shure you get an experianced tinter to do the job right.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
Will look at doing it in the summer if it proves to be bad. Right now with our 300 days of sun in Colorado it has not been a issue. Having a White car helps. Search this forum for results. I think the best results were a ceramic tint that was used.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Will look at doing it in the summer if it proves to be bad. Right now with our 300 days of sun in Colorado it has not been a issue. Having a White car helps. Search this forum for results. I think the best results were a ceramic tint that was used.
adriang,

Look here:

https://forums.audiworld.com/search....archid=3890379
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had my S5 done and love it. I had 15% put on. I shave my head so the sun was hot even with the shade. Much better now.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ok....i'm doing it then...

Thank you all for the replies.

I'll take before and after pics in case someone else has the same question.

Thanks again...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Adriang, not sure if you are in SoCal but I had mine done in Costa Mesa... Even if you're not close check his website for some ideas, this guy is the man... Here is my post from after I had the roof and windshield done:

Just had Wincos 20% ceramic installed on the roof today. 90$. It's apparently one of the best heat reflective films on the market, up to 60% solar heat rejection and 95% infrared reflection.

I got it done at Signature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa, CA. Very professional outfit. Heard about them on here and checked out their website. Lots of info, videos and high res photos on their site. All 5 star customer reviews on Yelp. Owner is super cool and straight shooter. He doesn't try to upsell you on anything. He told me straight up you don't need tint on the back portion of an SUV that already has privacy glass. I forget the exact explanation but his name is David and he guarantees everything for life, and told me any issue whatsoever he'll redo my car.

I had a special clear/ceramic tint installed on the windshield called Air 80 it's on their website. 40% heat rejection and 99% UV block and perfectly clear. Also recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. After installation I parked for 4 hours in 100 degree heat and dash was warm (naturally) when I got in, but not scalding hot like usual by any means, and the steering wheel was barely warm. Unreal. Stuff is awesome. Highly recommended mod if ur in a hot climate. 180$ for the windshield. That specific film is more pricey. Totally worth it though. Just do some research and find a high quality tint shop. He said the Audi windshields and roofs can be a little tricky.

Quick Reply: Tinting the Panoroof??