Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tinting the Panoroof??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by manup
Front windows are also illegal in CA....but I guess only if you are caught and have to take it off?
the windshield is illegal in NY also.

I had sunroof tinted with Huper Optik Ceramic - installed did not recommend using it on the front windows because it looks very different then factory tint on rear windows - it has the "mirror" shine in it, but for the sunroof it works fine.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/Automotive-series.cfm
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
the windshield is illegal in NY also.

I had sunroof tinted with Huper Optik Ceramic - installed did not recommend using it on the front windows because it looks very different then factory tint on rear windows - it has the "mirror" shine in it, but for the sunroof it works fine.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/Automotive-series.cfm
My tinting shop--who I've used for years and who really know their stuff--tell me Lumar CTX is the preferred material to use on a sunroof. $110.00 for the whole sunroof.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't own my Q5 for a whole week before I took it to the tint shop. It was the most expensive vehicle I ever tinted, but well worth it in the Las Vegas sunshine.

I did the sides at 15%, the roof at full limo, and the windshield at the darker of the two choices. Looks good on white too

I don't care if its legal, even the cop cars have mad tint on them here in Vegas...

The windshield was a huge factor in reducing interior temps. The film they use on the windshield is not the same tint you use on the rest of the car, its specifically designed to insulate from the heat and still let most of the light through.

At first I thought I'd be annoyed by it, but I was in a friends A3 with the same tint specs as I ended up with and I was completely comfortable with the windshield being done.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Adriang, not sure if you are in SoCal but I had mine done in Costa Mesa... Even if you're not close check his website for some ideas, this guy is the man... Here is my post from after I had the roof and windshield done:

Just had Wincos 20% ceramic installed on the roof today. 90$. It's apparently one of the best heat reflective films on the market, up to 60% solar heat rejection and 95% infrared reflection.

I got it done at Signature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa, CA. Very professional outfit. Heard about them on here and checked out their website. Lots of info, videos and high res photos on their site. All 5 star customer reviews on Yelp. Owner is super cool and straight shooter. He doesn't try to upsell you on anything. He told me straight up you don't need tint on the back portion of an SUV that already has privacy glass. I forget the exact explanation but his name is David and he guarantees everything for life, and told me any issue whatsoever he'll redo my car.

I had a special clear/ceramic tint installed on the windshield called Air 80 it's on their website. 40% heat rejection and 99% UV block and perfectly clear. Also recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. After installation I parked for 4 hours in 100 degree heat and dash was warm (naturally) when I got in, but not scalding hot like usual by any means, and the steering wheel was barely warm. Unreal. Stuff is awesome. Highly recommended mod if ur in a hot climate. 180$ for the windshield. That specific film is more pricey. Totally worth it though. Just do some research and find a high quality tint shop. He said the Audi windshields and roofs can be a little tricky.
Thanks for the info, I will go check out this place too, I live in RPV, don't mind the drive.
I will definitely do it for 20%
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Nice! I went there plugged in to the free wifi for a little bit (they have a comfortable waiting area), then walked next door to a good fish taco place, ate, walked back and the car was waiting out front for me. Couldn't have been happier. And actually I drove all the way from Pasadena. I told the owner on the phone the dealership in Pasadena botched my tint and I didn't even want them to redo it, since they were such hacks. He said we'll take care of you, and that's a long drive I appreciate your business, I'll pull the botched job off at no charge. Good luck!
jrjunior31,

You mentioned that you had yours done on a 20%, I lived in SoCal as well, that 20% is good enough to leave the rolling shade open all the time? or should I go with 5%?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got my wife's Q5 pano roof tinted with 20% ceramic and we're always in the hot sun of Hawaii. So far it's worked out perfect.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by theCue
jrjunior31,

You mentioned that you had yours done on a 20%, I lived in SoCal as well, that 20% is good enough to leave the rolling shade open all the time? or should I go with 5%?
The place I went didn't have anything darker than 20% for the roof. Its a huge improvement though, I have no complaints at all. Also it's not so crazy dark that it effects the light airy type feeling in the cabin with the shade open. 5% may really cut down on any daylight coming into the cabin not sure. You may want to check with someone who has 5% on their roof.