Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tire chains / cables for Q5? Ski season is coming :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Shur Grip Z chains also to carry, reasonable enough cost and fit like a glove on my 18" Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV winter tires and rims.
Bring it on ol man winter!

http://scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_SGZ.html
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billypete
I bought the Shur Grip Z chains also to carry, reasonable enough cost and fit like a glove on my 18" Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV winter tires and rims. Bring it on ol man winter!
I was just thinkin' here, and now my head is a hurtin', I can't recall seeing people talk much about studded tires. Are they legal in the U.S. and do people use 'em? Would they have been a viable solution for you too?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
I was just thinkin' here, and now my head is a hurtin', I can't recall seeing people talk much about studded tires. Are they legal in the U.S. and do people use 'em? Would they have been a viable solution for you too?
Yes, studded tires are legal for some of the year. Alot of people use them as I have in the past, however they tend to wear down after only a season or so and still need to be removed by whatever the deadline is regardless. The newer studdless snow tires have proven very effective and need not be removed should the adverse weather run late in the spring. Also over alot of the Mt. passes chains are required or at least have them onboard. If you dont, you cant go on past the checkpoint, regardless of studs or AWD, 4x4,or quattro.
These Chains for the rear of the Q5 only, thrown in the back, will be cheap insurance.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've lived in Lake Tahoe for 16 years, and never been required to have chains on any AWD/4x4 vehicle. I saw this mentioned in this thread a few times, and believe that this must be So-Cal thing.

On I-80, US-50, US-395, CA267, etc., I've only ever seen "snow tires", "snow w 4x4", or "road closed" conditions. I know the designation exists, but never seen it used.

Our snow days make So-Cal snow storms look like a sunny day. We get 400-500 inches a year.

If this is practiced in So-Cal, it may be that the CHP has gotten frustrated with drivers lack of caution using AWD/4x4 and no chains. We do on occasion have touron's who just don't get it, thus closed roads, rolled SUV's and dead bodies.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by billypete
Yes, studded tires are legal for some of the year.
Thanks for the feedback billypete.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AWF Axis
I've lived in Lake Tahoe for 16 years, and never been required to have chains on any AWD/4x4 vehicle. I saw this mentioned in this thread a few times, and believe that this must be So-Cal thing.

On I-80, US-50, US-395, CA267, etc., I've only ever seen "snow tires", "snow w 4x4", or "road closed" conditions. I know the designation exists, but never seen it used.

Our snow days make So-Cal snow storms look like a sunny day. We get 400-500 inches a year.

If this is practiced in So-Cal, it may be that the CHP has gotten frustrated with drivers lack of caution using AWD/4x4 and no chains. We do on occasion have touron's who just don't get it, thus closed roads, rolled SUV's and dead bodies.
400-500 inches?? i wish i got that much snow a year...
Old 12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AWF Axis

We talkin the Great NorthWest here. Not Cali or tahoe. OSP/WSP are ruthless on chains..

Last edited by billypete; 12-03-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

It snowed in Seattle recently and just getting home on the Michelin all-season tires was pretty frightening with the moderate hills. It goes forward, but stopping can be a 'fun' experience. You need something - whether chains or winters, but yeah definitely something other than just all-seasons. I've driven several other SUVs with winter tires on them and they simply blew the performance of the all seasons out of the water.

Small note that I found when using throttle to correct a skid on ice (I was playing around on the ice, not actually in a panic situation, but good to know anyways) - my Q was very very very reluctant to step out the back wheels and oversteer, and would NOT allow me to get it even remotely sideways. So if you're thinking "rally-style" turn, think again: throttle in a corner while turning the wheels and the thing will charge forward right off the road. Turning must be done with the steering wheel - the accelerator in the Q was definitely not my friend (as it has been in the past in an M-class, LR3, Land Cruiser). I realize traction control exists, and it was the same with it disabled. The response is similar to a front-wheel-drive car, but worse because the back wheels are giving you extra forward oomph
Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on the SCC Z cables. I think you can buy local at Pep Boys in San Diego.

I had them for my Yukon and will buying them for the Q5. Easy to put on.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by theniko
calberk95: did you try the SZ429 on your Q5 20" ?

I just bought the same chains but they just do not fit on my Q5 20" wheels. These chains are too small for these tires.
Have 20 inch Conti 245/45x20 with the new SZ429 cables and they do not fit!!!! What is everyone using for 20 inch tires?????

Quick Reply: Tire chains / cables for Q5? Ski season is coming :)