Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tire chains / cables for Q5? Ski season is coming :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get Snow Tires

Driving in California, during and around blizzards, they recommend if not require you to put chains on all four wheels if you don't have snow tires. It's probably the proper way to chain a AWD but I can't be sure, I'm sure some googling around will settle that.

Putting four chains on and off is a PAIN! Snow tires fine to dive on dry land, just swap them in at the beginning of the season and back out when you're done. They'll wear a bit faster but hey, you're saving tread on your regular tires. They have "performance" snow tires like the Dunlop 3D's or you can just go with some normal non-studed ones like to all common/proven Blizzacks.

If you're up almost every weekend like we are, then buying a set of winter wheels makes things even easier.

Lug Nuts: 5 x 112, default offset on a stock is 18 "& 19" is 39 or so and 8 inches wide. Go for 18" snow tires or smaller, although 19 would work too. Also remember thinner is better for snow so you probably won't want to go any wider than the stock 8".

I know I'm probably the only retard that's actually gotten a chain wrapped around their axel before but there really is nothing more fun than spending an hour trying to unwrap a chain from your axel in the freezing dark while somebody from inside the keeps asking you if you're done yet.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Theniko and Allraodgone. Sorry, I got the chains right before I left the country on vacation and didn't get a chance to test them out. I'll be back in a few days and will be pissed if they don't fit as advertised by the manufacturer. That sucks! My last pair fit my car like a glove.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
+2 for 2nd set with real winter tires. ( I lived in LA and had 2nd set I used on Big Bear and also drives up to Utah and Colorado)

If not then at least new fresh all seasons (not old summer driven as those have lost the best "edge").
I'm in LA and just put on my snow tire/wheels from Tire Rack. First of all, the S-Line summer tires are great on wet and drive pavement but I would basically have to turn myself into the local police for reckless endangerment if I drove with them in real snow or ice. You may be in SoCal, but snow is snow, and when you are in it, you need to deal with it. The road to Big Bear is actually a lot more treacherous than the roads that I take up to Mammoth.

I went with separate wheels as well because rolling on low-profile 20" snow tires just doesn't make a lot of sense. Sure I now have 2 sets of wheels, and so that is some added expense, but I justified it by reminding myself that each set of tires would now wear at a reduced rate, with the summer tires getting 4-5 months off each year.

*Oh and I forgot to mention* I also have chains (cables, really) because technically chains/cables are required and they can tell you to go back if you aren't carrying them with you, but I have NEVER heard of that happening with an AWD vehicle that also had full-on snow tires.
Attached Images  

Last edited by refthimos; 12-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Allraodgone
Have 20 inch Conti 245/45x20 with the new SZ429 cables and they do not fit!!!! What is everyone using for 20 inch tires?????
Contacted the supplier of the chains and they offered to xchange for next size up to fit 20 inch Conti DWS all seasons. Have not returned yet so do not knoiw that these will fit:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this does happen from time to time, as tire manufactures are allowed to deviate from the actual tire size by up to 7%. You most likely have a tire that is unusually large for its indicated size. I will issue you an RMA number for this chain (RMA info. will follow in a separate email, sent to the email address you submitted with your order). If you are still in need of a tire chain I suggest the next chain size up which is: "SZ435" and can be found at: "http://www.vulcantire.com/chainz6_c.htm". You can place a new order for this chain at any time.

Please note: Your RMA email will suggest that you will be charged a late return fee. We will waive this late return fee and issue you a full refund for your SZ429 provided you place an order for the chain suggested above.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Thank you,
Vulcan Tire Support Staff
http://www.vulcantire.com
Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I live in Sacramento and frequently drive to Lake Tahoe during winter storms.

Unfortunately I had to replace my original stock tires because of a sidewall bubble. I replaced them with Toyo Open Country AT tires.

I never put chains on when I travel over the summit and I have never had any issue with the Q5. I'm actually typing this from Tahoe and we drove over the summit today while it was snowing very hard.

ESP is always left on. I have even tried to get the car to spin while accelerating and it never looses grip even in sport mode. On the other hand, you should be careful while breaking. Any type of normal breaking is great with the Q5. Hitting your breaks hard will cause the ABS to kick in, but the vehicle still does very well in my opinion.

I have always hated chains and I do carry them just in case I am forced to put them on. I would recommend leaving them off in most conditions as the Q5 does an excellent job in winter conditions.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by theniko
calberk95: did you try the SZ429 on your Q5 20" ?
I just bought the same chains but they just do not fit on my Q5 20" wheels. These chains are too small for these tires.
I eventually returned these chains and bought one size up: Super Z6, SZ435
I've just tried them and they fit just right.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also just bought the SZ435's and they fit great. Hopefully, I will never need to put them on in the snow
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have any of you looked at the Thule K-Summit Snow Chains? Course it'll set you back a grand or so for two pairs, but you'll be able to take them on and off in seconds.

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...K77%20XXL.aspx

They have other ones that run for $200 dollars each, which is still more than I've ever spent on chains.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by calberk95
I also just bought the SZ435's and they fit great. Hopefully, I will never need to put them on in the snow
Also exchanged for the SZ435, they should be delivered here soon and I'll see how they fit with the 20 inch Conti DWS tires.