Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tire / Paint Cleaning between washes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire / Paint Cleaning between washes.

Hi All,
I just bought a new 2016 Q5. I have the 19" wheels on it.
What is a good product to wipe down light dusts on the wheels?

Also what products do you use for cleaning the interior trim?
I have the natural ash wood .
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

A damp cloth is all you need on wheels. Forget wasting money on 'product'!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You mean water won't hurt my finish
Old 03-22-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's never hurt mine!
Old 03-22-2016, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I am the oddball out but I take mine to the car-wash 1-2 times a week. This is not a sissy touch-less deal, it's the real deal. I have a monthly pass so I can take my car as often as I want and they do inside and out along with wheels and tires. Every 6 months or so they clay-bar it and hand wax it.

I don't really see swirl marks and I have done this with all my cars. My car is always clean and looks great. I only keep cars for 2-3 years so maybe that's why I get away with it.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would never in a million years use any automated car wash for my car...they use cheap spray products that don't work...the guide rails can leave rim rash...most times on the inside of the wheels, the mechanical spinning brushes wear clear coats away, are way to harsh, and the cheapo towels they use to dry the car off after leave wipe marks all over the windshield. And for the money they want...and to be tipped too...crazy!

I clean mine 2 or 3 times a week and it only takes me about 15 minutes in my garage. I use a california duster and dust the car off first. Then I use quality microfiber towels that I purchased a few years ago, and I use a quality spray detailer or spray wax between full details. Looks great all the time. I have my own pressure washer and buffer. Twice a year, sometimes three, I spend a day on the car as personal mental therapy day.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smooth 1
I would never in a million years use any automated car wash for my car...they use cheap spray products that don't work...the guide rails can leave rim rash...most times on the inside of the wheels, the mechanical spinning brushes wear clear coats away, are way to harsh, and the cheapo towels they use to dry the car off after leave wipe marks all over the windshield. And for the money they want...and to be tipped too...crazy!

I clean mine 2 or 3 times a week and it only takes me about 15 minutes in my garage. I use a california duster and dust the car off first. Then I use quality microfiber towels that I purchased a few years ago, and I use a quality spray detailer or spray wax between full details. Looks great all the time. I have my own pressure washer and buffer. Twice a year, sometimes three, I spend a day on the car as personal mental therapy day.
2-3 times a week???? Wow! Thats OCD territory! ;-)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smooth 1

See...that's why God made us all different. I would never wash my own car much less 2-3 days a week when I can just pay someone else to do it. None of my cars that have been treated this way have ever gotten any damage and the paint always looks fine. When I trade them in they always say how well cared for the car looks.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
See...that's why God made us all different. I would never wash my own car much less 2-3 days a week when I can just pay someone else to do it. None of my cars that have been treated this way have ever gotten any damage and the paint always looks fine. When I trade them in they always say how well cared for the car looks.
I lean your way on this. My car is new, so it gets hand washed about every 2-3 weeks depending on the weather. In time we will very likely start running it through the carwash. I have neither the time, nor the patience to hand was more often, and certainly not 2-3 times a week! That is just nuts to me.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I lean your way on this. My car is new, so it gets hand washed about every 2-3 weeks depending on the weather. In time we will very likely start running it through the carwash. I have neither the time, nor the patience to hand was more often, and certainly not 2-3 times a week! That is just nuts to me.
I washed my last Q5 a grand total of 1 time by hand. I had even purchased 2 buckets and various brushes, microfiber towels and safe leather cleaner and conditioners.

This Q5 has never been washed by hand and likely never will.

Quick Reply: Tire / Paint Cleaning between washes.