Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

too much heat from panarmic sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too much heat from panarmic sunroof

Even with the tinted sunroof closed and the overhead "shade" closed, I can feel the heat on my head, especially during hot/sunny days here in TX. Not really a big fan of the sliding shades. I think they could have designed it better to give the option to totally block the sun light 100%.

Is there a work around you guys do during those hot/sunny days?
Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in Southern California and have not noticed this (and my SQ5 is black as well). However, I'm 5'9" so my head might not be as close as yours. You can always have 3M Crystalline tint installed on it. I have that on my MINI (event the front windshield) and it makes a HUGE difference over regular window tint.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you go into more detail about this 3M Crystalline tint?
I've never heard of it, and might also be interested.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonJ

Thanks,
Jason
One of the strengths of Crystalline is heat rejection. Look at the specs on the attached link for heat and UV rejection. It's kind of pricey but maybe worth it in your case.

Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US
Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonJ

Thanks,
Jason
Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US

Crystalline's one of several tints that's geared for heat rejection (vs. only light rejection like all basic tints). It's not the only one that would work, though it's one of the top tints in that area at least based on my research prior to my own tinting. It can be hard to find dealers for it, though, as it's not inexpensive and supposedly is pretty difficult to work with (which would explain it being pricier).

I've got Formula One's Pinnacle on my Q5 and don't notice more than very mild heat in direct sunlight. The car certainly still gets warm in the summer after sitting all day, but when the air temperature in the parking lot's 110F+ the whole time you can't really expect it not to get a bit toasty inside since the air will still transfer inside even if you blacked out all the windows.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be totally ghetto, but you could just try to get a sun shade, cut it to fit and just slide it between the mesh and the glass....

Or move to Canada, because Trump.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts

+3 on 3M crystalline. First did it on my Mini S pano, then on Q5 pano. Both vehicles have the sunscreen but not a full light blocking panel. Even the 70% (visible transmission; 30% darker) cuts the IR in half, but you don't see much light difference if you like the open feeling. Also did front windows in 70; hardly can tell 90% of time for LEO concerns, but same result. I could literally feel the heat on my arm (or head...) w/ out the film--both in Germany when we did Euro delivery and then back home in NorCal pre-install appt. Seriously better with it. Same result in Mini. Did it in S8 too. In fact in recent S8 install, for overall heat reduction, with a fixed # of $, and to minimize mirror distortion at night, I ended up skipping rear glass and doing (std.) roof instead. So far, I like result there too and it has rear sunshades anyway.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Crystalline, no problem. 3M's web site for it also provides a link to find local authorized dealers. Your Audi dealer can probably also arrange for it--but he's just going to call the authorized 3M dealer and add an extra charge for it.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by marnes
It might be totally ghetto, but you could just try to get a sun shade, cut it to fit and just slide it between the mesh and the glass....

Or move to Canada, because Trump.
great i dea, i am in nyc only a few days in the summer really need this.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on my second Q5 and live and TX and have never noticed the heat from the sunroof. I do ride and train on my bicycl at 6 pm everyday so maybe I just don't notice the heat as anything is cooler than being on a bike, on the road.

Quick Reply: too much heat from panarmic sunroof