Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Too much oil in crankcase_What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much oil in crankcase_What to do?

I had the oil changed in my 2010 Q5 at 5000 miles a month of so back (now at 7000 miles) and I noticed the other day while checking my dipstick (I installed one after buying the Q5) that the oil level is about a 1/4 inch higher than it was when the car was new. Also, when I checked the Oil Level in the MMI, it said that some oil could be drained. Should I have the oil changed again and carefully instruct the dealer not to add too much oil? I can't imagine that additional oil is good for valves, etc., but I don't know how far above "normal" my oil level really is. Any insights from those mechanics appreciated!

Kent in Michigan
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foxmoor
I had the oil changed in my 2010 Q5 at 5000 miles a month of so back (now at 7000 miles) and I noticed the other day while checking my dipstick (I installed one after buying the Q5) that the oil level is about a 1/4 inch higher than it was when the car was new. Also, when I checked the Oil Level in the MMI, it said that some oil could be drained. Should I have the oil changed again and carefully instruct the dealer not to add too much oil? I can't imagine that additional oil is good for valves, etc., but I don't know how far above "normal" my oil level really is. Any insights from those mechanics appreciated!

Kent in Michigan
I would not want it overfilled by any amount. However, it's probably not a problem to be over by such a small amount. Over filling by a quart or more may bring the oil level high enough that the crankshaft may drag through the oil and cause frothing and respective loss of oil pressure. Call you dealer and speak to your S/A. If the dealer isn't too far away and you've got a few spare minutes they should put you first in line to take care of their mistake.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I would not want it overfilled by any amount. However, it's probably not a problem to be over by such a small amount. Over filling by a quart or more may bring the oil level high enough that the crankshaft may drag through the oil and cause frothing and respective loss of oil pressure. Call you dealer and speak to your S/A. If the dealer isn't too far away and you've got a few spare minutes they should put you first in line to take care of their mistake.
agree - 1/4" is not too much of a overfill -