Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: How many members have experienced these transmission issues...
felt it in the beginning and over time and went away
23.26%
had it serviced and problem resolved
4.65%
had it serviced and problem still exists
11.63%
have issues but doesn't really bother me
9.30%
my car is running great no transmission problems at all
51.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate this poll here, because I am still in the market for a new vehicle and with all these reports on the transmission issue, I am really having second thoughts about the Q5. Once more people have voted, this poll will be an objective way to see whether it's an isolated issue or that it's more than just random and it's something that Audi should be taking more seriously.

Wouldn't you feel really vindicated if Audi later recalls the Q5 for this transmission issue that they are dismissing right now?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wanderer1980
I really appreciate this poll here, because I am still in the market for a new vehicle and with all these reports on the transmission issue, I am really having second thoughts about the Q5. Once more people have voted, this poll will be an objective way to see whether it's an isolated issue or that it's more than just random and it's something that Audi should be taking more seriously.

Wouldn't you feel really vindicated if Audi later recalls the Q5 for this transmission issue that they are dismissing right now?
Judging by their lack of concern and cooperation of the customer and car in this matter...I think it will a very long long time before they do if at all.

Last edited by nohcs; 01-28-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

after reading many comments about jerky S-tronics, my conclusion is that Audi has not yet found the right settings for a smooth operating; why this happens in spite of positive comments about the DSG's from VW can be due to the significant difference of torque and power on the Audi's
this is not so encouraging as it is also too early to evaluate the durability of the S-tronic box over the time
maybe a reason for ordering your Q5 once more with a manual box
Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guyguyke
after reading many comments about jerky S-tronics, my conclusion is that Audi has not yet found the right settings for a smooth operating; why this happens in spite of positive comments about the DSG's from VW can be due to the significant difference of torque and power on the Audi's
this is not so encouraging ....

This poll needs to track down also the transmission type and continent where vehicle located as in Europe there is no conventional torque converter transmission available, it is either DSG or Manual.

NA instead is conventional torque converter automatic transmission only (at the moment)
Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Come on, 12 owners voting on a poll is hardly grounds for a buying decision. Audi have been using this 6 speed transmission for a while, its actually pretty reliable. At least it doesnt accelarate out of control like a Lexus
Old 01-29-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nohcs
Yes GMAN
I just can't understand why any service dept. would say jerking/clunking, feeling downshifting every time I slow down is normal...it just doesn't make sense on a lux vehicle...unless they are trying to hide a problem on a larger scale of vehicles...just my thought
I think it's pretty common for service depts to say things are normal when they're clueless or think you're a PITA. I bought a MB SLK several years ago and had so many issues with it. First up was a thunking noise I noticed at 200 miles. The first time I heard it I thought someone had hit the side of my car with something. After numerous complaints about it the service manager told me that's the way it is, deal with it, and turn up your radio so you won't hear it. Needless to say I did switch service dealers. I did find one who was very sorry about all the issues I had and said if I had bought from them they would have taken it back. Instead they offered to give me a little more to trade it in for another. I didn't want to do that so they gave me a check for what I paid for the extended warranty. They were also really cool when I shorted the electronics when coffee spilled in the gear shifter (known issue with klutzy woman drivers since the cup holder is over the gear shifter). The service guy actually fixed it under warranty instead of charging me the $1200 it should have cost. If there's another one in your area I'd check them out.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanderer, There are 260 Q5s on this forum so take the total poll as 260 and assume that anyone with an issue will reply!
This whole issue would look a lot smaller if all the posts and threads were in one. Instead we have the same few posters starting new threads over and over, inviting comment each time.
This is the kind of reason for keeping a spreadsheet or using the "find more posts by".
This poll will further distort the actual numbers as interpretation will vary.
How many actual fails have we had??? 1 back in september and that was just the control chip. AND that person has not answered the poll!
Do not let this thread make your mind up. Its obvious that a few people can or did feel a slight judder or jerkiness as they stop when the car was new. This whole thing has been so insignificant as to be hard to even record. I find myself asking is that a comment, dislike, note, feeling, opinion complaint or fail when posts are made.

Test drive several Q5s and make your own mind up!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hmn4858
I think it's pretty common for service depts to say things are normal when they're clueless or think you're a PITA. I bought a MB SLK several years ago and had so many issues with it. First up was a thunking noise I noticed at 200 miles. The first time I heard it I thought someone had hit the side of my car with something. After numerous complaints about it the service manager told me that's the way it is, deal with it, and turn up your radio so you won't hear it. Needless to say I did switch service dealers. I did find one who was very sorry about all the issues I had and said if I had bought from them they would have taken it back. Instead they offered to give me a little more to trade it in for another. I didn't want to do that so they gave me a check for what I paid for the extended warranty. They were also really cool when I shorted the electronics when coffee spilled in the gear shifter (known issue with klutzy woman drivers since the cup holder is over the gear shifter). The service guy actually fixed it under warranty instead of charging me the $1200 it should have cost. If there's another one in your area I'd check them out.
I agree, I use to get that from my BMW and Lexus, the problem is normal or it is within spec or we didnt notice anything wrong. It is up to the customer to prove there is something wrong unfortunately, even though I dont think it should be that way, but it is. I always ask the service dept to show me the same problem I have in a new car on their showroom.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wanderer1980, from 2006 till today BMW had problems with High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) - every day I read post on 2 forums that I member, some one get this problem.
Some drivers on their 3rd or 4th HPFP - no recalls from BMW.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by guyguyke
this is not so encouraging as it is also too early to evaluate the durability of the S-tronic box over the time
maybe a reason for ordering your Q5 once more with a manual box
Guyguyke, the NA Q5's all come with the 6 speed torque converter trany (slush box) not the S-Tronic (DSG).

From the outside it reads like the guys complaining are a bunch of whingers - I thought that trait was reserved for the Poms (English).
It is becoming the norm for auto tranmissions to downshift as you are slowing down to keep the engine revs above the point where the injectors are switched back on (for want of a better description). This results in better fuel consumption than older style auto trans programming that just let the engine return to idle when you backed off. Obviously I haven't driven the offending vehicle so it's not possible to cast judgement however I think you should expect to feel the transmission downshifting as you slow down in any vehicle that purports to have a modern fuel saving transmission. It shouldn't be overly rough but you should feel it.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues