Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: How many members have experienced these transmission issues...
felt it in the beginning and over time and went away
23.26%
had it serviced and problem resolved
4.65%
had it serviced and problem still exists
11.63%
have issues but doesn't really bother me
9.30%
my car is running great no transmission problems at all
51.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You have a point

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Wanderer, There are 260 Q5s on this forum so take the total poll as 260 and assume that anyone with an issue will reply!
This whole issue would look a lot smaller if all the posts and threads were in one. Instead we have the same few posters starting new threads over and over, inviting comment each time.
This is the kind of reason for keeping a spreadsheet or using the "find more posts by".
This poll will further distort the actual numbers as interpretation will vary.
How many actual fails have we had??? 1 back in september and that was just the control chip. AND that person has not answered the poll!
Do not let this thread make your mind up. Its obvious that a few people can or did feel a slight judder or jerkiness as they stop when the car was new. This whole thing has been so insignificant as to be hard to even record. I find myself asking is that a comment, dislike, note, feeling, opinion complaint or fail when posts are made.

Test drive several Q5s and make your own mind up!
Thanks, JusForFun! I have never owned an Audi (I have only had Japanese cars so far and they have both been really reliable - Nissan first and now Acura), so reading these posts do make me nervous! However, you guys are right that these are most likely isolated incidents. Anyway, no, I was not going to base my judgment on only 12 votes. I was just thinking that if we had many more votes and they all showed that this was a rare occurence, then it would be very reassuring to me! :-)

From the 3 Q5's that I have driven so far, I have not noticed anything like this, but I was not looking for it either... I will try again! Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer1980
Thanks, JusForFun! I have never owned an Audi (I have only had Japanese cars so far and they have both been really reliable - Nissan first and now Acura), so reading these posts do make me nervous! However, you guys are right that these are most likely isolated incidents. Anyway, no, I was not going to base my judgment on only 12 votes. I was just thinking that if we had many more votes and they all showed that this was a rare occurence, then it would be very reassuring to me! :-)

From the 3 Q5's that I have driven so far, I have not noticed anything like this, but I was not looking for it either... I will try again! Thanks.
That is exactly what my wife said, she can feel the transmission down shift when slowing down. She too had Japanese cars all her life. It is not something that is noticable during the test drive, but after owning the Q5 for a while, she felt the downshifting. My A6 did the same thing when new, but smooth out after a while. I think it is just the transmission breaking in.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-14-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So about a month before my 5K service I started having the downshift when coming to a stop issue. When I took it in I told them about it and they looked at me weird but wrote it up and said the tech would look at it. Of course when they were done they said everything was fine and they couldn't replicate it and there were no codes, etc.

The interesting thing is that in the 2 weeks since that visit I haven't had it happen at all. Before then it happened at least a couple of times a day if not more. Does it seem logical they did a software update that took care of this but they didn't write it up?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmiller31
So about a month before my 5K service I started having the downshift when coming to a stop issue. When I took it in I told them about it and they looked at me weird but wrote it up and said the tech would look at it. Of course when they were done they said everything was fine and they couldn't replicate it and there were no codes, etc.

The interesting thing is that in the 2 weeks since that visit I haven't had it happen at all. Before then it happened at least a couple of times a day if not more. Does it seem logical they did a software update that took care of this but they didn't write it up?
NO...makes no sense at all. Software updates take time...time that a dealer would expect to get reimbursed from Audi for the warranty work. Probably coincidental...or maybe it fixed itself...hehe.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ductman
I guess the transmission that came in last Friday didn,t work out too well, I was told by AOA that the vehicle at the latest would be done this past Wednesday, I e-mailed and called the dealer, no response, I e-mailed again today, finally received an answer, " transmission hasn"t come in yet, I am at 54 calendar days and counting , I am hoping with the new attorney that this saga will quickly come to an end and I will be receiving a repurchase, It is a shame , I really like the car but I can not take a chance having another Audi , especially more transmission issue keep surfacing, and AOA and the dealership have combined to make this a terrible experience, this is my second poor experience with Audi, I will now stay away from them forever.
Hi there,

It seems this transmission issue is a more common problem than expected. I was experiencing that downshift when coming to a slow stop and it didn't feel normal. I took my brand new 1,000km 2011 Q5 3.2 to the dealer and they told me after diagnosis and a couple of updates that one of my clutches wasn't adapting and after a week determined that the next step is to change the mechatronic unit. I am quite nervous about all this as the unit will take supposedly another week to get here from Germany. I want to know what my options are and at what point i should ask for a new car if the mechatronic does not solve the issues. I will not accept a new transmission going into a brand new car. Any advice or words of confidence would be greatly appreciated. I bought this car and plan on keeping it a while but this is a terrible start to what was supposed to be a pleasant ownership experience. thank you
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MontrealQ5
I will not accept a new transmission going into a brand new car. Any advice or words of confidence would be greatly appreciated. I bought this car and plan on keeping it a while but this is a terrible start to what was supposed to be a pleasant ownership experience. thank you
Not sure about how laws in CA work but here in US(and it varies from state to state) when you enter into a buy/sell agreement for a new vehicle that is under warranty you must give the manufacturer an opportunity to correctly repair the vehicle. I think 3 attempts(and 3 failures) to repair and "MAJOR" or "SAFETY" problem is enough. Anything beyond that is unreasonable and actionable. Give them a chance to sort it out and see what happens. Keep us posted.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MontrealQ5
Hi there,

It seems this transmission issue is a more common problem than expected. I was experiencing that downshift when coming to a slow stop and it didn't feel normal. I took my brand new 1,000km 2011 Q5 3.2 to the dealer and they told me after diagnosis and a couple of updates that one of my clutches wasn't adapting and after a week determined that the next step is to change the mechatronic unit. I am quite nervous about all this as the unit will take supposedly another week to get here from Germany. I want to know what my options are and at what point i should ask for a new car if the mechatronic does not solve the issues. I will not accept a new transmission going into a brand new car. Any advice or words of confidence would be greatly appreciated. I bought this car and plan on keeping it a while but this is a terrible start to what was supposed to be a pleasant ownership experience. thank you
If I remember right, duckman replace the mechatronic unit and it didnt fix the problem. For most 3.2 owners, the jerking problem went away after a few thousand miles. All three of our Audi's tranny jerks when they were new, some more than others, but all were fine after a few thousand miles, I am not saying that yours will, but I sure would not want a transmission replacement on a brand new car. Your options are to accept the new tranny and maybe ask for a extended warranty, ask for a new car or a buyback if they cannot fix your car within your state's lemon law period.
Good Luck

Last edited by The G Man; 12-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
If I remember right, duckman replace the mechatronic unit and it didnt fix the problem. For most 3.2 owners, the jerking problem went away after a few thousand miles. All three of our Audi's tranny jerks when they were new, some more than others, but all were fine after a few thousand miles, I am not saying that yours will, but I sure would not want a transmission replacement on a brand new car. Your options are to accept the new tranny and maybe ask for a extended warranty, ask for a new car or a buyback if they cannot fix your car within your state's lemon law period.
Good Luck
good to know we just need some time to "break" it in, and that most issues resolved on their own. i've been trying to vary my driving/braking to avoid that low speed jerk/lurch.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thundercloud
good to know we just need some time to "break" it in, and that most issues resolved on their own. i've been trying to vary my driving/braking to avoid that low speed jerk/lurch.
Hummm, you have a 2.0T with the new 8 speed tranny, you should not have the jerking problem at all.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hummm, you have a 2.0T with the new 8 speed tranny, you should not have the jerking problem at all.
when i need to slow down or stop ahead, i just let the car roll (take my foot off the gas) and slow itself down before applying the brake. in doing that, it tends to lurch a bit after a few seconds of rolling (speed is typically below 20 mph). so i'm trying to find the right "stop" point to where i can let it roll a bit before applying the brake but without the lurching/jerking. my car just hit 300 miles today (after commuting 90 miles to work/back). so it's still really new. i'm hoping it's just "learning" my driving style, and that the issue will resolve after we put more miles on it?