Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 04:25 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
"but I'm guessing most service depts won't pay too much attention to the temps when doing this service. "
Consider, if that is 95F. If the shop lets their cars cool down after the customer arrives, the old fluid will come down to ambient temperatures, and the transmission itself should cool with it. Making this a non-issue IF the cars are given time to settle down.
When the new fluid is added, it will typically be at shop temperature, which might be 60F-90F depending on where the shop is and how brutal it is allowed to get, but for many shops the required temperature range would simply be within the range that the shop is normally kept at. Again, often making it a non-issue.
So depending on your shop, they may or may not be in the habit of checking temperatures. Or, may not need to.
Of course, if your local Audi dealer runs an open-air shop in the jungles of Borneo...(G)...
FWIW.
Well, the spec for the the fill oil is greater than 35C=95F. Not many places (at least in Canada) will store their oil at that temp. Prolly wouldn't take it to your shop... Just sayin'. Or maybe will take it to Borneo😎✌
Old 09-06-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

So that's what kept me up last night!
No, really. I'm foolishly relying on Audi's recently improved reputation for quality, and foolishly assuming the automated fill process was done properly. And since there are no puddles under the car and I don't bottom it out on rocks (yet) I'm also assuming it hasn't leaked away. At least it is not like old Triumph motorbikes, with a vertical gasket and seal on the oil pan, guaranteed to leak.
And, that's under warranty.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When changing the transmission fluid, does it also change the differential fluid since our cars are AWD? Should the rear differential oil also be changed?
Old 10-05-2016, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Front, center, and rear are different fluids.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

Rear is typically the easiest to change. Front and rear should be same fluid, but center is Torsen so originally comes with the magic Sturaco additive elixir what like triples the price. But see below--both on the procedures and the fluids.

Be careful on several fronts. This is not a 69 Chevy or a Suburban.

1. Never drain a diff until you have the fill port confirmed and open. Shortcut here = possible flatbed.
2. Get under there and really know where the ports are. Do not just "assume" it and do not be surprised if either the center or front diff ports are essentially unreachable. Don't assume all the Q5 motors are even set up basically the same, and definitely don't assume the 6 and 8 speeds are the same either. Rears are pretty American iron low tech even with half shafts, but not front or center diffs. For example on 6 speed D3 4.2 A8's, the ports are essentially useless, especially for center diff. The D3 S8 and and W12 are very unusual corner cases due to one off and little known ability to drop an inter-tied gear oil cooler. I have not checked the 8 speed in either the D4 or the Q5, and my Q5 is hybrid so may be yet another flavor on diffs. 5 speed forward diff fill port on C5 was essentially inaccessible unless whole CV axle AND stub axle output shaft was pulled. As in, see #1.
3. Be sure you know what you are doing on the Sturaco and the Torsen. It is in the spec'ed center diff fluid from the dealer. But, instructions on this vary. Per ZF at least on the six speeds, you don't use it for a drain and fill, but only use on a rebuilt with a fresh fill if shipped dry. And if you do, it may lose the benefits of Torsen and you get kind of a low line open diff result. Thus the best intentions of fluid service can lead to loss of the benefits of Torsen. And you would not find out until you get stuck in mud or snow. Yet another tow truck scenario...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-05-2016 at 02:40 PM.