Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trip computer questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip computer questions...

Still getting to know our 2013 Q. One thing I don't fully understand, is the trip computer system. There's the standard trip odometer reset button at the front of the gauges. But then there is also the more advanced computer with the buttons on the windshield washer stalk.

My first question: does the trip reset button ALSO reset the data in the comprehensive trip computer? Or do you separately have use the "RESET" button on the windshield washer stalk, every time you fill up?

My other question is regarding the fuel economy average reading. When I play with the different modes on the windshield washer stalk, I can get a MPG reading. However, it's the silly real-time thing. Isn't there a cumulative one, that lasts as long as the tank of gas - like if you're on a trip? What am I missing, because for the life of me I can never seem to find that.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but it's my wife's daily driver, and as such I have yet to even fill up a tank of gas and reset any of those numbers.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I recall, when you're on a trip, either 1, 2, or 3, you press the rocker switch on the stalk to change individual preferences in that specific trip computer. Such a live mpg, mpg for tank, mile till empty tank etc...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hawk12
If I recall, when you're on a trip, either 1, 2, or 3, you press the rocker switch on the stalk to change individual preferences in that specific trip computer. Such a live mpg, mpg for tank, mile till empty tank etc...
Thanks. But that part, I fully understand. My uncertainty lies in the interconnectedness between the standard trip odometer reset button on the gauges, and the info inside the comprehensive trip computer. Also, still trying to figure out if there is a cumulative MPG average, in addition to the real-time one (which I don't find of any value).
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Probably not interconnected still

On each prior Audi I have had, the trip computer is always separate from the trip odometers (tripmeter). Makes sense if you are just logging miles of one trip (or segment of a trip) on a tripmeter vs tracking (supposed) average MPG on trip computer. Back in the 80's the trip computer was its own little device stuck in a console opening on Audi's, and the basics of the readouts and conceptual set up have hardly changed.

You should find an ave. mpg display if you cycle through the various things being tracked with the switch on the end of the stalk. You want the one that displays the "0" with the slash through it; Audi's way of signifying average rather than instantaneous.

Of course to calibrate everything (different subject I know) you need to use the trip odometer against the gallons of gas you actually pump in. No Audi or any other vehicle I have ever bought with an MPG display has been accurate, and it takes VAG COM to re set (pretty easy). Recent Audi's have been in the 5-7% optimistic range; a Chrysler and a Toyota have been wildly optimistic (15%), while a Mini has been within about 3%. Having calibrated the last two Audis with basically the same integrated into the center display set up I can get it so that across many tanks it should average out from the data I kept to determine accuracy, and on any single tank the display is now within a couple of tenths of the MPG calculated by tripmeter miles reading/gallons pumped in since last fill.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-16-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
On each prior Audi I have had, the trip computer is always separate from the trip odometers (tripmeter). Makes sense if you are just logging miles of one trip (or segment of a trip) on a tripmeter vs tracking (supposed) average MPG on trip computer. Back in the 80's the trip computer was its own little device stuck in a console opening on Audi's, and the basics of the readouts and conceptual set up have hardly changed.

You should find an ave. mpg display if you cycle through the various things being tracked with the switch on the end of the stalk. You want the one that displays the "0" with the slash through it; Audi's way of signifying average rather than instantaneous.

Of course to calibrate everything (different subject I know) you need to use the trip odometer against the gallons of gas you actually pump in. No Audi or any other vehicle I have ever bought with an MPG display has been accurate, and it takes VAG COM to re set (pretty easy). Recent Audi's have been in the 5-7% optimistic range; a Chrysler and a Toyota have been wildly optimistic (15%), while a Mini has been within about 3%. Having calibrated the last two Audis with basically the same integrated into the center display set up I can get it so that across many tanks it should average out from the data I kept to determine accuracy, and on any single tank the display is now within a couple of tenths of the MPG calculated by tripmeter miles reading/gallons pumped in since last fill.
Thanks for the great info!
When I get to drive next, I'll run through the options. So, I guess that whenever we fill up, the task will be to reset the trip, then ALSO reset all three detailed banks in the comprehensive computer? Yikes!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
Thanks. But that part, I fully understand. My uncertainty lies in the interconnectedness between the standard trip odometer reset button on the gauges, and the info inside the comprehensive trip computer. Also, still trying to figure out if there is a cumulative MPG average, in addition to the real-time one (which I don't find of any value).
But that is where the "cumulative MPG average" screen is found.

You can reset the trip odometer by pressing the button on the gauges, but that will only reset that trip. Not the one in the "computer". The one in the computer needs to be reset itself holding the lower "rest" button on the stalk a bit longer. The two are not connected in any way other than if reset at the same time.
Basically, you choose a trip screen by a rapid press of the "reset" button. You have three choices. Then once you are in a trip screen, you can cycle through your choices by using the rocker on the end of the stalk. Once you find your choice and feel the need to reset it, you then press and hold the "reset" button until that choice is zero'd out.

When I get to drive next, I'll run through the options. So, I guess that whenever we fill up, the task will be to reset the trip, then ALSO reset all three detailed banks in the comprehensive computer? Yikes!
You could do that, but if you want to keep an ongoing, long term average, it would be there for you. That is what I tend to do. It takes two seconds to do the math on the one tank if that's all you need. Long term is where it would take written records of total miles and gallons added.

FYI- You do not have to reset all three trips. Reset on one carries to the others.

Last edited by Hawk12; 02-16-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

But that is where the "cumulative MPG average" screen is found.

You can reset the trip odometer by pressing the button on the gauges, but that will only reset that trip. Not the one in the "computer". The one in the computer needs to be reset itself holding the lower "rest" button on the stalk a bit longer. The two are not connected in any way other than if reset at the same time.
Basically, you choose a trip screen by a rapid press of the "reset" button. You have three choices. Then once you are in a trip screen, you can cycle through your choices by using the rocker on the end of the stalk. Once you find your choice and feel the need to reset it, you then press and hold the "reset" button until that choice is zero'd out.

You could do that, but if you want to keep an ongoing, long term average, it would be there for you. That is what I tend to do. It takes two seconds to do the math on the one tank if that's all you need. Long term is where it would take written records of total miles and gallons added.

FYI- You do not have to reset all three trips. Reset on one carries to the others.
Thanks! Great help. Now that you mention it, a cumulative, running average might be kind of neat to do for a while.
But I'm still a little confused. Two of the three "banks" in the comprehensive computer are identical, right? What would be the point of that if the "RESET" zeroed them all? Or did you mean that it resets all the data in only the bank where you currently are?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! Great help. Now that you mention it, a cumulative, running average might be kind of neat to do for a while.
But I'm still a little confused. Two of the three "banks" in the comprehensive computer are identical, right? What would be the point of that if the "RESET" zeroed them all? Or did you mean that it resets all the data in only the bank where you currently are?
No, I had looked and zero'd one on mine and found it zero'd on them all. I'm thinking you can set up each trip with different screen options. Then say on trip one it shows cumulative, then on trip 2 you can do miles until empty tank. Trip 3 shows in green on mine and geared towards conserving gas. Then you can flip between different screens to whatever floats your boat at the moment.
I never look at trip 3 after it once said to turn off seat heaters to help save gas...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, I had looked and zero'd one on mine and found it zero'd on them all. I'm thinking you can set up each trip with different screen options. Then say on trip one it shows cumulative, then on trip 2 you can do miles until empty tank. Trip 3 shows in green on mine and geared towards conserving gas. Then you can flip between different screens to whatever floats your boat at the moment.
I never look at trip 3 after it once said to turn off seat heaters to help save gas...
Ha! Tesla must have written the code for screen three...
Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

MY 2012 and earlier have only 2 detailed trip computers. Totally independent of the odometer trip and associated reset button. Each of the detailed trip computers can be reset independently so one can be used as a running average over a period of time and the other is reset when the car is off for a given amount of time. Resetting both can only be done via the MMI screen. You can also customize what data you wan't the trip computer to display.

Quick Reply: Trip computer questions...