Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trip computer questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GregH
MY 2012 and earlier have only 2 detailed trip computers. Totally independent of the odometer trip and associated reset button. Each of the detailed trip computers can be reset independently so one can be used as a running average over a period of time and the other is reset when the car is off for a given amount of time. Resetting both can only be done via the MMI screen. You can also customize what data you wan't the trip computer to display.

My car is a 2012, it has 3 (two and a gas conserving that is lit in green), and are reset off the reset button on the bottom of the stalk. I never access the MMI to reset
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MY 2012, which has 2 trip computers and the green fuel economy screen. When I fill up with gas, I reset the odometer at the gauges by hitting the 0.0 button. This way I can see how many miles I am putting on per tank of gas.
Each of the trip computers has several pieces of information which can be viewed by toggling the rocker button at the end of the stalk. You can access the different trip computers by pressing the reset button at the bottom of the stalk to toggle between trip1, 2 and mpg screen.
My understanding is that Trip Computer 1 gives you the information about your current trip: duration in time, avg. mpg, avg. mph and miles. This resets after the car has been off for a period of time, 4 hours maybe?
Trip Computer 2 gives you the "lifetime" info, total hours and minutes the car has been on, lifetime average mph and lifetime avg mpg. Mine is showing 17 mpg average, which is about 1 mpg than what I have tracked using the fuelly app.
I believe any of these can be reset by holding down the reset button while in a particular screen, but if you are looking to have your total average mpg shown, use trip computer 2.
The green screen just shows real time mpg ang mpg of the current trip. It can be entertaining to see 200mpg show up, but is not very helpful. There may be better ways to use these, but this is how I have been using the system.