Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

True value of Audi maintenance prog.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Doing the maintenance yourself is great, but everytime I bring my car into the dealership for a schedule maintenance, they check for software updates, TSB and require maintenance on my car. Aside from that, I believe the annual inspections are a warranty requirement, rather it is done by a dealer or a mechanic. Lastly, I dont have a Vag Com, so I need the dealer to reset the maintenance reminder.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Doing the maintenance yourself is great, but everytime I bring my car into the dealership for a schedule maintenance, they check for software updates, TSB and require maintenance on my car.

I will still visit the dealer, just not as often as you, so I'll still get these.

Aside from that, I believe the annual inspections are a warranty requirement, rather it is done by a dealer or a mechanic.

Not in CT. You should document your maintenance-related purchases but Pepboys sells the same Mobil 1 that Audi uses.

Lastly, I dont have a Vag Com, so I need the dealer to reset the maintenance reminder.
Really!!! I won't be able to reset my own service indicator!!! I could do this on my 99 and 06 Audis and my 02 ML!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

After picking up my car today, my service rep printed out their estimates for each of the service intervals. The print outs detail each part used and each labor service performed. If you'd like to see if, I can try to scan and post.
Summary below.

15K SERVICE
Parts: $108.31
Labor: $229.60
Shop Supplies: $27.55
Tax: $10.33
Total:$375.78

25k SERVICE:
Parts: $102.61
Labor: $224.00
Shop Supplies: $26.88
Tax: $9.84
Total:$363.33

35K SERVICE:
Parts: $108.31
Labor: $296.80
Shop Supplies: (missing page, but let's assume $28.00)
Tax: $10.36
Total:$443.47

45K SERVICE:
Parts: $102.61
Labor: $252.00
Shop Supplies: $30.00
Tax: $10.08
Total:$394.68

GRAND TOTAL: $1577.26

Anyone being offered AudiCare should ask the service department to print this out and make a comparison.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
My dealer sent me a $100 off coupon on the Audi maintenance program which gets it down to $690 for our Q5. Doing the math I still don't see it is worth it. I see I would get:

5 oil and filter changes at 15K, 25K, 35K, 45K, 55K, ($35 each)
1 pollen filter ($25)
4 spark plugs ($15)
1 Air filter ($25)
2 brake fluid flushes ($150 each including labor)

I would do all the above except the brake fluid flush. The Q5 2.0T looks like an easy vehicle to work on. So adding all of the above up I get $390. Still not worth it. Am I missing something? I know there are other things included but they are all inspects and they do those for free anyway. Brake pads are not covered. Tranny fluid replacement is not covered. I'm thinking I will pass.

I passed on AudiCare as well - I believe it is a VERY overpriced oil changes w/ pollen filter change.

Money is not only consideration here- I need to spend at least 3-4 hours going to the delaer, if I did oil change myself, it would take at most 30-45 min.
Going to my indy mech. will be $70-$80 for synthetic oil change, he also will rotate tires, and check all those things Audi tech. will check. That is IF the oil chnages at the dealer done by a technician, not by "a trained person" who stipped oil pen on my old Volvo (at Vovo dealership)...

4 oil changes for $690 is about $175 for oil change (after the $100 discount)
Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's more than the money...

Having worked as a manager in a very large multi-state dealership, I have seen first hand the value of servicing a new vehicle by certified technicians for the brand vehicle.

I agree with the posts regarding saving $$ by completing basic maintenance by yourself or a local mechanic. However, there is tremendous value in building a loyal relationship with your local dealer. The service management team is your advocate to the manufacturer for any warranty issues as well as post- warranty problems that may arise. For example, I witnessed owners with serious engine/transmission problems get prompt resolution after the service manager went to bat for them. If the first time they meet you is when you have a problem...good luck, you may have to wait in line since regular customers will be at the head of the class.

The risk of voiding your warranty is also why most people prefer to keep the service with certified Audi technicians.

I did purchase the Audicare, but it was primarily for convenience and a small savings in price. It is also transferable to a new owner- should I decide to sell or trade in advance of the mileage.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi Care is very reasonably priced and well worth it. You can take care of your highline car for less that $200 year. No fuss or worries, just take it back to the dealer and let them sweat it.

As others have said, just for the pure fact of recalls or updates, I'd rather have a certified tech work on my car. But if your a gear head and qualiifed to do work yourself, then rock on and it's ok to change your own oil.

But there's an old saying that time is money.

Also, you're going to have to rotate your tires, dispose of the old oil and supplies. I personally don't want to bleed my own brakes or flush the transmission and have to worry about disposing of the old fluids.

And if you ever have a problem with your car as others have said - having proper maintenace records in the Audi system is the best should you ever have a beef.

Also at trade in time or if you sell your car - no Audi records in the Audi database that services have been done on time and properly? It might make a difference to the next person who buys your car. People like documentation and have somebody to complain to should anything go wrong.

They want $100 and hour to work on anything these days. Ford, Chrsyler, Chevy, it doesn't matter.

$790 for 4 years worth of service is a good deal.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
...Also, you're going to have to rotate your tires, dispose of the old oil and supplies. I personally don't want to bleed my own brakes or flush the transmission and have to worry about disposing of the old fluids.

And if you ever have a problem with your car as others have said - having proper maintenance records in the Audi system is the best should you ever have a beef...
I don't think the tire rotation is included in audicare -can anyone clarify that?

No car maker can demand maintenance done in their dealership only -there are a lot of very educated and experienced independent mechanics who will do any routine service as good as the dealer, and possibly better- and I have a proof of that: in 1999 I bought 4 y. old 1995 Volvo 850, it was maintained by my indy mech. Well, ODO stopped about 4 years ago at 176K miles, but the car is still running (son has it now). In 2005 we bought new 2005 Volvo XC90, which had multiple problems, and almost every time something was fixed by the dealer, I had to come back for another problem created by the techs.

When selling your car you show oil/filter receipts and tell your private buyer that you changed your oil every 5K miles instead of recommended 10K interval, and can prove it I think it will not decrease value of the vehicle.
When trading our XC90, no dealer (lexus, Audi)asked for any records -just checked for condition and for possible body work done...
Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m1964
I don't think the tire rotation is included in audicare -can anyone clarify that?
According to the service breakdown I received from the rep...no...tire rotation is not included.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964

When trading our XC90, no dealer (lexus, Audi)asked for any records -just checked for condition and for possible body work done...
I never had anyone (private sales or dealer) ask for records. As far as tire rotation, they did mine @ 5K but it isn't listed under audi care so I'm not counting on it happening in the future.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
I never had anyone (private sales or dealer) ask for records. As far as tire rotation, they did mine @ 5K but it isn't listed under audi care so I'm not counting on it happening in the future.
Same thing happened to me with 5k service, service advisor told me that future AudiCare services would not cover tire rotations.

Quick Reply: True value of Audi maintenance prog.