Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trying to Decide Between 2013 Q5 and 2013 Lexus RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus is all luxury with a solid build quality, IMO; no squeaks or rattles and excellent reliability from my experience. If you don't mind the numb driving experience and the querky looks of the Lexus, I'd go with the Lexus. It is indeed a nice ride and it will bring you many trouble free years and most likely lower maintenance costs than the Audi.
Most German cars (if not all) have their moments; they seem to be more temperamental (sp?) than others. My Q5 has some rattles and squeaks that can be annoying at times but I have a fix for that... Hair Nation on XM. Audi really needs to do a better job in this department! I bought the Q5 for the driving experience. It's pretty peppy for a 4 banger and a very sporty looking SUV. It drives like a sports sedan, which was a big plus for me. I tend to go back and forth between Japanese and European vehicles. My last SUV was a Toyota. It was a solid reliable vehicle but not very exciting to drive. When I get tired of the firm riding Q5, I may switch back. Who knows but for now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Audi! Either way, you can't go wrong. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Great commercial! I guess this type of conversation happens often....lol
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Lexus is all luxury with a solid build quality, IMO; no squeaks or rattles and excellent reliability from my experience. If you don't mind the numb driving experience and the querky looks of the Lexus, I'd go with the Lexus. It is indeed a nice ride and it will bring you many trouble free years and most likely lower maintenance costs than the Audi.
Most German cars (if not all) have their moments; they seem to be more temperamental (sp?) than others. My Q5 has some rattles and squeaks that can be annoying at times but I have a fix for that... Hair Nation on XM. Audi really needs to do a better job in this department! I bought the Q5 for the driving experience. It's pretty peppy for a 4 banger and a very sporty looking SUV. It drives like a sports sedan, which was a big plus for me. I tend to go back and forth between Japanese and European vehicles. My last SUV was a Toyota. It was a solid reliable vehicle but not very exciting to drive. When I get tired of the firm riding Q5, I may switch back. Who knows but for now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Audi! Either way, you can't go wrong. Good luck!
Do you have the 2013? I'm just wondering if folks who have just bought are having this problem with the rattles and squeaks.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

How about this older one?
http://youtu.be/PUw1QI-Q738
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
... My Q5 has some rattles and squeaks that can be annoying at times but I have a fix for that...
I have experinced opposite: new RX has lots of small annoying rattles-I don;t have time to deal w/ that, and also since a lot of RX owners c/o rattles I think that is the way RXs are built.

Q5 is 3. y. old, and has almost no "foreign" sounds -occasionally a rattle from sunroof, or rear seat area, but nothing close to RX.

You can see my replay to the OP in clublexus forum re: RX vs Q5:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-t...eam-car-2.html
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two Rx350 and they were both Junkxus. The first was replaced by Lexus do to the large number of issues. Oil leak, transmission slip, rattles all in the first 1700 miles, yes, 1700 miles. The second one made it to around 2500 and the transmission failed and the front engine seal failed, the same as the first. The paint quality on both cars had numerous flaws. Understand that the RX is a Camry based economy box. Purchase a highlander limited if you like Toymotor products and save a boat load of cash. The RX was to soft and loose. The brakes were mushy and it had a lot of road noise. I installed dynamat to both cars and it helped. Remember that the low end Lexus products are Toyotas in a tux, nothing more than window dressing. I traded for an BMW X5 and the car has been flawless except for a HD radio issue that was corrected. I purchased a 2012 Q5 in November 2011 and just traded for a 2013 A6 (not manufactured yet). The Q5 was great! I hated the Nav. And the power steering whine. Both issues have been corrected on the 2013 Q5. Purchase a 2013 Q5 and you will love it. I have two other SUVs so my wife wanted a sedan, and to be honest so did I. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by txq5hopeful
Hello, all!

I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to buy a new car within the next few weeks, and I'm thinking I'm going to treat myself and go luxury with this purchase. I've test driven some luxury SUV's (Lexus RX350, Audi Q5, Infiniti EX35 and BMW X3) and have to say, I really liked the RX 350 and the Q5 the best. I'm trying to decide between these two.

No doubt, the Q5 is alot more fun to drive, and I like the look of its interior dash interface quite a bit better than the RX350. With that said, however, the RX350 has a very smooth, nice ride, has alot of luxurious features that are not extra. low longterm maintenance costs and has excellent ratings for safety and reliability too (thinking long term).

Some of my friends have tried to discourage me from the RX350 by saying "everybody has one of those RX's" or that it's a "soccer mom" car (I'm in my early 30's, single with no kids) and suggest that I look at something else. For me, having a luxury car is not about status, or showing off (could care less what other people think), it's more about the features, the smooth ride, the technology and the great customer service of the company. I also intend to keep the car for a long time, so reliability, long-term maintenance costs,insurance payments, etc. in addition to the car note are things I'm looking at as well.

What are your thoughts? Obviously most of you on this forum are Q5 owners, so what made you decide on the Q5 vs the compeition? It seems like the main thing I keep hearing from dealerships that sets the Q5 apart is that it is more exclusive (everybody and their mother doesn't have one). I'm not really concerned with that...I need more than that. What has your overall experience been like while owning the car? Just trying to gain some perspective from you all.

I love the ride of the Q5, love the interior, interface, etc., but the RX350 seems like it may be an overall better spend in the long run.

Thanks for your feedback!
Get the Lexus.

Features, smooth ride, technology, and customer service, reliability, long-term cost, etc. You have just described the Lexus. If you would have said design, driving experience, AWD, then I would have said Q5. Your description was a Japanese Buick. That is not a pejorative; you like what you like. But I don't think you would be happy with a Q5 if those are the things that matter to you.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by txq5hopeful
I guess I must be spoiled then....I live in Dallas,TX, home to the Sewell brand of dealerships. By far the best customer service out there. People buy cars from out of town/state from this dealership. Their approach is to create "customers for life" and they definitely do a great job of it.

The Audi dealerships here have been fine, don't get me wrong. If I get the Q5 I'm sure it would be fine. The Sewell dealers just go a bit above the grade.
I'm in Dallas, and recently purchased a CPO 2011 Q5 2.0T. Love it! This is my third Audi, and fourth in the family (got my sister to buy a Q7 a few years back). I don't have any personal experiences with Lexus, but the Q5 is fun to drive. I never feel like I'm driving a CUV, with the exception of the ride height, and the style looks much better than the RX. All my years at the Audi dealerships, as well as the Audi community have been great. Check out NTAG if you haven't already. It's a local Audi community
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pigred
I'm in Dallas, and recently purchased a CPO 2011 Q5 2.0T. Love it! This is my third Audi, and fourth in the family (got my sister to buy a Q7 a few years back). I don't have any personal experiences with Lexus, but the Q5 is fun to drive. I never feel like I'm driving a CUV, with the exception of the ride height, and the style looks much better than the RX. All my years at the Audi dealerships, as well as the Audi community have been great. Check out NTAG if you haven't already. It's a local Audi community
HI, pigred,

Good to see someone from Dallas on the board! Yes, the Q5 is fun. Which dealership did you work with? I've been dealing with Audi Dallas (near my home) and Boardwalk Audi (near my job). I'm really leaning toward to the Q5, the look is just sweet and the last time I drove one I really enjoyed it. I'm going to test drive it again tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the heads up about NTAG...hadn't heard of it.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by serranot
Get the Lexus.

Features, smooth ride, technology, and customer service, reliability, long-term cost, etc. You have just described the Lexus. If you would have said design, driving experience, AWD, then I would have said Q5. Your description was a Japanese Buick. That is not a pejorative; you like what you like. But I don't think you would be happy with a Q5 if those are the things that matter to you.
After driving the 2013 Q5, driving experience has risen to a higher position on my list...lol It was a great ride. And the design is super sweet.

Quick Reply: Trying to Decide Between 2013 Q5 and 2013 Lexus RX 350