Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trying to Decide Between 2013 Q5 and 2013 Lexus RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txq5hopeful
After driving the 2013 Q5, driving experience has risen to a higher position on my list...lol It was a great ride. And the design is super sweet.
Better decide fast if you want the Q5 to get its hooks into you, before it's too late and you can't be satisfied by Lexus anymore.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Better decide fast if you want the Q5 to get its hooks into you, before it's too late and you can't be satisfied by Lexus anymore.
What do you mean "before it's too late"? Are they running out of them or something? I've noticed people seem to be waiting for a couple of months before their Q5's arrive.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What do you mean "before it's too late"? Are they running out of them or something? I've noticed people seem to be waiting for a couple of months before their Q5's arrive.
Nah, just "before it's too late and you're hooked on the Q5". Not that that'd be a bad thing. Taking a few months for delivery is standard, no worries about them running out if you decide you want to go Audi.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After driving the 2013 Q5, driving experience has risen to a higher position on my list...lol It was a great ride. And the design is super sweet.
except for the NAV...
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by m1964
except for the NAV...
What's wrong with the Nav in the Audi?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the 2013? I'm just wondering if folks who have just bought are having this problem with the rattles and squeaks.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just finished going through this decision (RX350 v. Q5) 2 weeks ago ... purchased my 1st ever German car; 2012 Q5 2.0 premium with NAV, 19", & a couple more add-ons; black & black. Got a very fair deal ... the Exus guys weren't dealing at all. The 3-deciding points for me were: crisp, tight, feel-the-road drive; ergonomics & cockpit layout; & overall style.

My previous ride was a 2004 Chevy Tahoe needed for the mountains & winters here in Utah; along with a need for lots of room for kids, dogs & bags on road trips. With kids able to find their own designated driver nowadays, it's the wife, me & a couple 100lbs dogs. The Q5 is the right size for us.

Took a 500 mile road trip 1st weekend after buying & that was a real treat - its so nice to be driving a car again that handles, gets to 90 mph without hesitation when wanted/needed, & doesn't wear me out after a few hours. I used to have a 1994 Toyota Supra (drove the wheels off that friend ... 250k miles before I sold) & can honestly say that while the Q5 doesn't really compare to such a rocket, the driving experience & handling characteristics of the Q are way closer to a sports car than the RX - no comparison.

The RX is analogous to the thick padding on top of an expensive mattress ... thick, plush, & deep. That works for many, but driving a big, leather recliner just wasn't for us. I found the RX cockpit layout a bit overboard & not very intuitive or well placed buttonology. The NAV system was fairly good but again, quite complex & busy. I liked the bigger back seat leg room of the RX, but then again, we decided we're buying for the 2 of us & didn't really care since we ride up front (I know selfish of us ... eh?).

Last thing, style - lots of RX's on the road, not too many Q's. To individualize, we had the dealer remove to chrome propaganda on the tailgate (logo, name, 2.0, etc), have darkened the windows to 43% all around, bought the new low profile Yakama ski racks (black), & will replace the front grill with the all-chrome one that doesn't have that obnoxious license plate monster holder.

I bought the Q5 to express my individuality & inner rebel ... For a good time call your Audi dealer!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

HI, pigred,

Good to see someone from Dallas on the board! Yes, the Q5 is fun. Which dealership did you work with? I've been dealing with Audi Dallas (near my home) and Boardwalk Audi (near my job). I'm really leaning toward to the Q5, the look is just sweet and the last time I drove one I really enjoyed it. I'm going to test drive it again tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the heads up about NTAG...hadn't heard of it.
I went with DFW Audi in Euless. Originally talked to Audi Dallas but by the time I decided to pull the trigger on purchasing a car, they were out of inventory on CPO's. Boardwalk Audi didn't even attempt to work with me on pricing, even though their prices were only a couple thousand below a 2012 model. They didn't budge one cent, and keep in mind I'm a repeat customer. I've heard good reviews about Boardwalk, but personally I'll never go there for service or recommend anyone to them after my last experience there. So I ended up going to DFW Audi close to my parents' house. Ask for Kevin Pak. Very friendly and easy to deal with.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What's wrong with the Nav in the Audi?
the screen is small
entering letters requires rotating the **** multiple times-I like the RX' mouse clicking better; I also don't need my reading glasses to see the street names in RX, I can't read the street names in Q5-may not be an issue for you.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigimacerm
Just finished going through this decision (RX350 v. Q5) 2 weeks ago ... purchased my 1st ever German car; 2012 Q5 2.0 premium with NAV, 19", & a couple more add-ons; black & black. Got a very fair deal ... the Exus guys weren't dealing at all. The 3-deciding points for me were: crisp, tight, feel-the-road drive; ergonomics & cockpit layout; & overall style.

My previous ride was a 2004 Chevy Tahoe needed for the mountains & winters here in Utah; along with a need for lots of room for kids, dogs & bags on road trips. With kids able to find their own designated driver nowadays, it's the wife, me & a couple 100lbs dogs. The Q5 is the right size for us.

Took a 500 mile road trip 1st weekend after buying & that was a real treat - its so nice to be driving a car again that handles, gets to 90 mph without hesitation when wanted/needed, & doesn't wear me out after a few hours. I used to have a 1994 Toyota Supra (drove the wheels off that friend ... 250k miles before I sold) & can honestly say that while the Q5 doesn't really compare to such a rocket, the driving experience & handling characteristics of the Q are way closer to a sports car than the RX - no comparison.

The RX is analogous to the thick padding on top of an expensive mattress ... thick, plush, & deep. That works for many, but driving a big, leather recliner just wasn't for us. I found the RX cockpit layout a bit overboard & not very intuitive or well placed buttonology. The NAV system was fairly good but again, quite complex &
busy. I liked the bigger back seat leg room of the RX, but then again, we decided we're buying for the 2 of us & didn't really care since we ride up front (I know selfish of us ... eh?).

Last thing, style - lots of RX's on the road, not too many Q's. To individualize, we had the dealer remove to chrome propaganda on the tailgate (logo, name, 2.0, etc), have darkened the windows to 43% all around, bought the new low profile Yakama ski racks (black), & will replace the front grill with the all-chrome one that doesn't have that obnoxious license plate monster holder.

I bought the Q5 to express my individuality & inner rebel ... For a good time call your Audi dealer!
+1. Congrats! I loved my '87 Supra :-)

Quick Reply: Trying to Decide Between 2013 Q5 and 2013 Lexus RX 350