Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trying to Decide Between 2013 Q5 and 2013 Lexus RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txq5hopeful
Hello, all,

First, thanks to everyone for your input and perspectives as I try to wind down my options and hopefully finalize my car decision soon.

I went yesterday after work and test drove the Lincoln MKX. I felt a little weird at first driving up to the dealership, thinking maybe the MKX might be a little "mature" for me (I'm in my early 30s). When I looked at the MKX's on the lot and in the showroom, that vanished as it actually is a very nice looking car with a little sportiness to it.

I drove one with the Elite package (nav, large double sunroof, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot alert, power liftgate, back up camera, etc.). The ride was very smooth, but it did seem to take some effort to get up and go at times. It was not as nimble as the Q5 either. The technology was pretty on point...the touchscreen was pretty neat. I'm really into the audio and always test car stereos on the jazz satellite station to really see how the sound is (anyone else do this?). I was a little underwhelmed by the sound system, it was good, but not as good as the B&O in the Audi. The salesman told me that Lincoln is really trying to attract more younger consumers to its brands and that they are starting to see a slight shift in that direction, but they know they still have quite a ways to go. Overall, I think you get alot of great goodies for the money, and the car defintely had a nice smooth ride, but I don't really think it's me.

The Q5 is still my top choice right now! I'm going to go and test drive one again today as well as the Infiniti EX37...I drove the EX when I first starting looking at cars and remember the backseat and cargo being very small, but I did like the drive alot and the interior layout and, of course, the technology. I figure I will drive them back to back today to clearly recognize the differences better. Those seem to be my top two choices at this point, with the RX350 as a safe, reliable 3rd.

Anyone compare the EX35/37 to the Q5? Thoughts?
I currently drive the RX (2004), and I have to say I have had NO problems with the car and it has been very generous to me at the dealership especially at 105k miles. My brother just got the EX37 and he loves it, but it is not a family car. The EX is very rugged, as in you feel the road for everything its worth, good or bad--there is not a bump he goes over that you do not feel as if the world were ending on. Both cars are great though. I used to own an Audi A6 and traded that in for the RX, and will probably bounce back and fourth from Lexus to Audi to Lexus in the coming years. Im currently looking at the Q5 as well, and comparing it to the new RX. For me, the hard part in going back to Audi is leaving the reliability of the Lexus (at least in my case, it has been a great car) and going to the more stern and nimble ride of the Q5.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turnert2
I currently drive the RX (2004), and I have to say I have had NO problems with the car and it has been very generous to me at the dealership especially at 105k miles. My brother just got the EX37 and he loves it, but it is not a family car. The EX is very rugged, as in you feel the road for everything its worth, good or bad--there is not a bump he goes over that you do not feel as if the world were ending on. Both cars are great though. I used to own an Audi A6 and traded that in for the RX, and will probably bounce back and fourth from Lexus to Audi to Lexus in the coming years. Im currently looking at the Q5 as well, and comparing it to the new RX. For me, the hard part in going back to Audi is leaving the reliability of the Lexus (at least in my case, it has been a great car) and going to the more stern and nimble ride of the Q5.
I came from back to back Lexus and both were rock solid in terms of reliability. So far so good on the Q5 and my wife and I both like it a lot. I'm not particularly brand loyal either and can see us bouncing back and forth between Audi (maybe a sedan next) and Lexus or maybe something else that might come down the line.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I came from back to back Lexus and both were rock solid in terms of reliability. So far so good on the Q5 and my wife and I both like it a lot. I'm not particularly brand loyal either and can see us bouncing back and forth between Audi (maybe a sedan next) and Lexus or maybe something else that might come down the line.
Yeah you can't go wrong with the reliability of a Lexus. Knock on wood, my IS300 has over 100k miles now without any issues. I have no complaints about Lexus. But I'll have to admit, European cars drive differently. My wife's BMW 128i is a comparable car to my IS300, but I'll have to admit her 128i is more fun to drive.

I've driven the RX a few times as a loaner. It's a great SUV and runs very smoothly, but it definitely feels like driving an SUV. I guess what sold me on the Q5 was you get the benefits of driving an SUV, but it drives and handles like a sedan. My wife questioned if we should have gone for the bigger Q7 for the 3rd row of seats, but I didn't want the bigger SUV because at that point you lose that sedan feel.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If Lexus' soft handling and styling doesn't throw you off, go for it. For me, its skinny tires and more feminine lines on the outside are a turn off. Inside, the swooping lines on the dash and shifter are just weird looking. I like good design and Lexus (as most Asian design) just does not satisfy me in this department, though overall not bad looking especially in the F-Sport trim. On the other hand, Audi maintenance and repair costs (in case something fails past warranty) will be much higher, while the Lexus wass designed to run for years with just basic service. I'll never forget an incident I've had with my 2009 Avant where a seat trim (the plastic cover on the side with power seat buttons) came loose and Audi refused to fix it under warranty because they considered it a "fit and finish" issue and covered these only until 12k miles. Not exactly a premium brand experience here. I'm currently looking at the SQ5, not because I'm madly in love with Audi, but there isn't anything else in this class that looks decent (the X3 and GLK are visually very unappealing to me).
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default FWW, was not impressed w/ its cousin's (the Sienna's) AWD underpinnings safety wise

I had a 2004 Sienna for about 5 years and it is still in the family and I oversee various maintenance. Basic drivetrain and AWD shared with the RX and the Highlander. As car has gotten older several things have left me really cold and much less likely to look at other similar products:
  • Vehicle started rolling backwards over a foot w/ parking brake applied on an upslope; turned out it is a support bracket for the rear diff/ that when worn allows whole diff to rotate and then car to move. Bad design; known wear issue now from the relevant boards. That's aside from the antiquated design of using a secondary set of brake shoes within the rear rotor for the parking brake; also leads to now obsolete parking brake adjusting.
  • Vehicle developed a lot of shake at about 120K miles. Turned out front lower control arms tore out at inner bushings. On AWD Sienna's (and thus probably RX's) its a 14 (!!!!) hour labor job by the book. Ridiculous it fully tore out, and basic design that requires that much labor is dumb--essentially the motor mounts are in the way on the AWD's.
  • Compounding #2, it had to get done just 10,000 miles later, again. Bad parts. An increasing big problem on popular Asian designed vehicles/drivetrains, and regardless of whether built there or in U.S.--there are now lots of cheap knock off parts of dubious quality, and often shops and jobbers have gotten sucked in. I wouldn't normally take a 100K +, 8 year old car to a dealer for fairly generic stuff like this (and which often starts from a shaking or alignment issue), but now apparently necessary to get dealer parts to avoid this baloney. Somewhat a worry for me now on Audis popular in China too, especially if made there for local market. Have already seen a few substandard knock off C5 A6 parts.

Yes, I know the Sienna and the RX are not the same in many regards, but the drivetrain for AWD really is. Just driven casually as a family mobile too, not hard. I expected better, especially on things that ultimately affect basic safety. It wasn't quattro either as far as traction (reactive, usual low tech clutch based system), but 95% of the time still good enough.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-12-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither of our Lexus were high mileage cars but over the course of ownership nether of them had to go back for any warranty or service bulletin work - Routine service only. I'm not sure how they'd fare long term but Consumer Reports and JD Power rate them high in the reliability department.

We take good care of our vehicles and I'm thinking the Q5 will serve us well too.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Softer ride, then Lexus.....

Originally Posted by txq5hopeful
Hello, all!

I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to buy a new car within the next few weeks, and I'm thinking I'm going to treat myself and go luxury with this purchase. I've test driven some luxury SUV's (Lexus RX350, Audi Q5, Infiniti EX35 and BMW X3) and have to say, I really liked the RX 350 and the Q5 the best. I'm trying to decide between these two.

No doubt, the Q5 is alot more fun to drive, and I like the look of its interior dash interface quite a bit better than the RX350. With that said, however, the RX350 has a very smooth, nice ride, has alot of luxurious features that are not extra. low longterm maintenance costs and has excellent ratings for safety and reliability too (thinking long term).

Some of my friends have tried to discourage me from the RX350 by saying "everybody has one of those RX's" or that it's a "soccer mom" car (I'm in my early 30's, single with no kids) and suggest that I look at something else. For me, having a luxury car is not about status, or showing off (could care less what other people think), it's more about the features, the smooth ride, the technology and the great customer service of the company. I also intend to keep the car for a long time, so reliability, long-term maintenance costs,insurance payments, etc. in addition to the car note are things I'm looking at as well.

What are your thoughts? Obviously most of you on this forum are Q5 owners, so what made you decide on the Q5 vs the compeition? It seems like the main thing I keep hearing from dealerships that sets the Q5 apart is that it is more exclusive (everybody and their mother doesn't have one). I'm not really concerned with that...I need more than that. What has your overall experience been like while owning the car? Just trying to gain some perspective from you all.

I love the ride of the Q5, love the interior, interface, etc., but the RX350 seems like it may be an overall better spend in the long run.

Thanks for your feedback!
The Q5 does ride for some people annoyingly rough/busy......

Remember that these vehicles are classified as light trucks.