Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Two quick Nav questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two quick Nav questions...

Thought I'd ask these quick questions here, before I have a chance to get the manual (wife's out with the car now).

1) What button or setting do you hit to get the Nav screen to show where you currently are - live updating? Earlier today, we used the nav to find a destination, and for some reason, it wants to stay on the screen with that destination, even though I "canceled" the route.

2) Isn't there an easy way to find a simple thing like, for instance, the zoo??? With the voice command, can't you prompt it to find things like that? It seems like all the "destination" options, whether voice or manual input, always prompt for things like street/city/zip. By the time I get that info, I might as well just use my iPhone.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Use the push to talk button and say help navigation and then it will bring up all of the phrases that you can use for voice command. Also from the nav screen you can push the bottom right soft key which should be settings from there you can find the map display selection.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

After tweaking with mine and then wanting to go back to the "live" map, I hit the return button. That will always back you out of whatever screen you are fiddling in.

Edit: More here- http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ommands-on-MMI

Last edited by Hawk12; 03-09-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
Thought I'd ask these quick questions here, before I have a chance to get the manual (wife's out with the car now).

1) What button or setting do you hit to get the Nav screen to show where you currently are - live updating? Earlier today, we used the nav to find a destination, and for some reason, it wants to stay on the screen with that destination, even though I "canceled" the route.

2) Isn't there an easy way to find a simple thing like, for instance, the zoo??? With the voice command, can't you prompt it to find things like that? It seems like all the "destination" options, whether voice or manual input, always prompt for things like street/city/zip. By the time I get that info, I might as well just use my iPhone.

Thanks!
1) ours does that from time to time. What I have found is, in the setting for the map display it gets stuck on the 'designation' view. Sometimes I can hit the 'return' button a couple times and it goes back to the 'live' view. If that doesnt work, then I have to manual switch it back in the settings.

2) of all nav units i have used, the Audi is the WORST when it comes to finding Points of Interest. Sometimes you can find what your looking for, but most the time, I just look them up on my iPhone and then plug the address in. When it comes to looking for things like gas stations, fast food places and the closest audi dealership, it is great. But I personally have not had great success finding super specific things. I still think Garmin has the best setup.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have the Audi Connect internet connection, you say "online destinations" and then what you want in natural phraseology, and it will do a Google search for you.

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...avigation.html
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, everyone.

I forgot to mention that we do have the Audi Connect service. However, I shut it off recently, because there's no intention of actually paying the monthly service once the six-month trial ends. So, we're forcing ourselves to get used to the "regular" MMI features.

I'll try some of the tips and tricks when I get behind the wheel, next. That's part of the problem, that I don't drive it regularly, and when I do get to, it's rarely a time when I need to use the nav.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougnash
...use my iPhone.
99% of the time that's what I do! It's quicker for me to pull over (or if I'm at a red light), pull out my phone, open google maps or Waze and simply type 'zoo' or [restaurant name] or whatever and get a near instant result, than it is scrolling through the MMI nav options or trying to use the voice feature which for me doesn't work well at all.

With my phone I can open the app, type what I want, click 'go', and I'm off to my destination...
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm, do you have to have Audi connect for the Voice commands to work? From my test drive (which of course had Audi Connect) , I thought you just said "Map" and it would go to the Navi map view.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse
Hmmm, do you have to have Audi connect for the Voice commands to work? From my test drive (which of course had Audi Connect) , I thought you just said "Map" and it would go to the Navi map view.
Haven't tried that, but the issue wasn't that it would show the map, it was that it would center on my destination on the map. Not on where the car was, in real time.