Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Dang. Considering it takes me literally 5 minutes with vcds, I say find a new audi dealer. That's rediculous.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DWAS
I am at Audi Central Houston and they are charging me $540 to code the OEM trailer package I installed myself. This includes recalibration of the side assist system.
clearly I am feeling a little violated.
Sounds like they're claiming "recalibrating the side assist" as a way of justifying that expense.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're definitely gouging you. My dealer charged $140, which is an hour's labor for them. I thought that was expensive because I think they just need to enter a single code in using their tools, but it would have cost close to that to buy a vagcom cable plus the time to figure it out and troubleshoot it, so I went ahead anyway. At $540, I would have gone the DIY route. I will say that they called me after I dropped it off to ask me if I got any instructions with the trailer module. I told them I didn't, but that it was the standard module that came with the factory kit and that they should just be able to look it up. They hemmed and hawed for a minute before saying they'd figure it out. I'm guessing it took them more than 5 minutes, but I'm sure it was still much less than they hour they charged me for.

Last edited by jeshaw70; 06-11-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

There has to be a member on here in the South Eastern Texas area with a VAGCOM you could bribe with a case of beer to code your tow module. I hear a lot of Q5 owners drink beer.
Hell, even if you offer to buy him an additional 10 VINs for the cable it's still way cheaper.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Unfortunately the deed is done and at the time, I knew I was being screwed by Audi Central Houston. I knew from the service managers attitude, as soon as he understood what I needed, that he was thinking, “I will fix you for doing your own DIY installation”.
However, I have spent eight weeks sourcing and trying options for a trailer hitch. I was now down to, “I need it now”, so couldn’t take a chance to order the parts to do it myself, and maybe end up in more trouble. In another week, I will be pulling my Kendon trailer (total weight 800#) to Park City. I just couldn’t take any more chances of running late. I still need to hook the trailer up and do a shake down run.
I have learned that the tail lights on the 2021, at least on the SQ5, are the new “smart” lights and a standard 3rd party solution will not work.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just joined this forum , and I have a OEM trailer wiring harness for a Q5 for sale, Part number : Wesfalia 305 214 321 003 . In perfect condition, ready to use. Coming from a 2014 Q5 accidented.
I'll try to post a picture

The following users liked this post:
Chivo23 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Q5 Cable

Originally Posted by FrankQ5
I just joined this forum , and I have a OEM trailer wiring harness for a Q5 for sale, Part number : Wesfalia 305 214 321 003 . In perfect condition, ready to use. Coming from a 2014 Q5 accidented.
I'll try to post a picture
Message me, I’m interested in the cable.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default VCDS HITCH PROGRAMMING near Chicago

Anyone near West Chicago suburbs that can program my Q5 for the trailer hitch using their VCDS cable?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Chivo23, the asking price is $145 CAN ( $116 USD ) + shipping + import charges if applicable. if interested I'll find a way to do a safe sale for both of us, probably using e-bay. Let me know .
Old 08-07-2021, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice on selecting hitch installer.

Hi Guys,

I'm a single woman in her 50's with a 2017 SQ5. I have a GeoPro 19FBS on order and need to get a hitch installed on my car. While I have taken on alot of home maintenance tasks since my divorce, I am not able to DIY. Trailer dry weight is 3200 lbs, 330 tongue weight.

Like others, I discovered the OEM hitch kit is no longer available. I'm getting $2k quotes to purchase and install a hitch and harness. UHaul quote is $600 -- $250 is labor. That big of a difference, makes me question why UHaul is so cheap and why the others are so expensive. (I'm in Northern CA.)

I looked at Stealth -- the parts alone are $970. My car is black, so I don't know that haven a hidden hitch is that important. And I've been told you need to get down on the ground to remove the hitch anyway.

What questions do I ask to vet the installer? It seems like there are a lot of factors and I want to ask the right questions. Too many mechanics will take advantage of someone who is uninformed. FYI, I did watch an installation video on Etrailer, so I have a basic concept of what is being done during the install. But I haven't a clue about integration with the car controls.

Thanks for your help!

Mizmo

Quick Reply: Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)