Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mizmo
Hi Guys,

I'm a single woman in her 50's with a 2017 SQ5. I have a GeoPro 19FBS on order and need to get a hitch installed on my car. While I have taken on alot of home maintenance tasks since my divorce, I am not able to DIY. Trailer dry weight is 3200 lbs, 330 tongue weight.

Like others, I discovered the OEM hitch kit is no longer available. I'm getting $2k quotes to purchase and install a hitch and harness. UHaul quote is $600 -- $250 is labor. That big of a difference, makes me question why UHaul is so cheap and why the others are so expensive. (I'm in Northern CA.)

I looked at Stealth -- the parts alone are $970. My car is black, so I don't know that haven a hidden hitch is that important. And I've been told you need to get down on the ground to remove the hitch anyway.

What questions do I ask to vet the installer? It seems like there are a lot of factors and I want to ask the right questions. Too many mechanics will take advantage of someone who is uninformed. FYI, I did watch an installation video on Etrailer, so I have a basic concept of what is being done during the install. But I haven't a clue about integration with the car controls.

Thanks for your help!

Mizmo
If you want the factory hitch, I would do some research because I think the Porsche Macan hitch will fit your SQ5 2017. You can buy the module which ends in a part number D (look at first post here for reference of part numbers) the 7 way socket connector and the Q7 harness from getaudiparts.com. All the part numbers are listed in the first message of this post. Total parts will cost about $1200. It was the cheapest I found around, dealers will charge you double. If you have a helper, you can do this, all you need to is remove some some of the floor panels in the rear. A total of 8 screws and 4 bolts from the bumper and move it aside. You can always get the parts and have a mechanic install it for you. Electronics will have to be programmed by shop that has access to a VCDS cable or the factory Audi scanner. Most euro shops should have one or the other. With the factory wiring, the SQ5 will recognize there’s a trailer, camera and parking sensors won’t go all crazy. If you go aftermarket, cheapest I found was $750 installed at a hitch trailer shop. However, they will splice into your brake lights on the hatch and the connecting wire will hang from the hatch every time you need to tow which can look odd. If requested, you can ask the shop to run the cable through a center grommet to avoid hanging the cable. The closest hitch to factory is the draw tite hitch but it doesn’t have a bracket to hold the 7 way connector. Use stealth hitch instruction guide, it’s has very clear instructions on how to install the hitch itself. You can also check on etrailer.com for hitch choices and electronics.
The following users liked this post:
FrankQ5 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Factory Hitch

Hi Guys,

I'm a single woman in her 50's with a 2017 SQ5. I have a GeoPro 19FBS on order and need to get a hitch installed on my car. While I have taken on alot of home maintenance tasks since my divorce, I am not able to DIY. Trailer dry weight is 3200 lbs, 330 tongue weight.

Like others, I discovered the OEM hitch kit is no longer available. I'm getting $2k quotes to purchase and install a hitch and harness. UHaul quote is $600 -- $250 is labor. That big of a difference, makes me question why UHaul is so cheap and why the others are so expensive. (I'm in Northern CA.)

I looked at Stealth -- the parts alone are $970. My car is black, so I don't know that haven a hidden hitch is that important. And I've been told you need to get down on the ground to remove the hitch anyway.

What questions do I ask to vet the installer? It seems like there are a lot of factors and I want to ask the right questions. Too many mechanics will take advantage of someone who is uninformed. FYI, I did watch an installation video on Etrailer, so I have a basic concept of what is being done during the install. But I haven't a clue about integration with the car controls.

Thanks for your help!

Mizmo
The hitch, I ordered from getporscheparts.com. It was only the hitch and it has the plate so that you can mount the trailer connector. Part number is 8R0-800-491-A. It fit perfectly!

Trialer Module: 8K0-907-383-D Control Unit
Q7 harness: 4L0-971-124-F
7way connector: 4L0-055-305-U
Module bracket: 8R0-907-297-A
2 10mm nuts: N-011-006-36 (double check this part number)

Using this setup, everything is connected with no
need to splice any cables.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good comments Chivo23, therefore the trailer detection module, Woodepic recommend this one : 8K0 907 383 E from what I learned on post number 1 of this thread. There should be more clarification about the part number.
Special thanks to those who spent a lot of time doing the research and post all the informations.

FrankQ5
Old 08-08-2021, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help!

Mizmo
You're asking the right questions. Sadly, my experience with U-Haul has been poor so I can't recommend them. They convinced my wife to install a $350 brake controller on our Outback to pull a 1000 # trailer and did a poor job of it, and even lost some of the interior plastic panels. Yes that was limited to "that one" installer, but it seems their incentive is to slap something together so you can rent their trailers. I'd recommend you find a competent mechanic to do the work. As you've seen from the video's, even the hitch isn't just something to bolt to the underside of the car.

The hitch itself is about $200 (https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Audi_SQ5.htm) so UHaul's price is inline with NOT integrating with the car's electronics. I'm guessing they're going to splice in a generic module which doesn't tell the car it's towing.

I managed to source the module from Europe for about $200 and built my own wiring harness for about $50. I doubt Uhaul is doing that.

After that you'll need to use VCDS or something similar to program the car to recognize the new module, I doubt U-Haul has that equipment.

At that weight you'll also need a brake controller, figure that will cost $200+
Old 08-08-2021, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi Guys,

Something else I thought about ... weight-distribution hitches (WDH).

You'll be towing right at the limit of the Q5 platform, with about 450# tongue weight, unless you've updated the rear springs you'll be squatting a bit, a WDH might be recommended but I don't see any receivers rated for use with a WDH.

I've considered doing pretty much what you are but I've always come away from those discussions with the realization that maxing out the SQ5 is probably not going to be a good idea. So let us know how it goes.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rez
I noticed the following coding list from another thread from browniestarmite so posting here for my own use and comments from others as it appears to have a couple of additions to the OP list;

Thank you, Dudealicious & A6Gary. As everything works great, I'm going to leave things as is for now.

For everyone's reference, here are the module codings that my mechanic and I applied using VCDS:

01 - Engine > Coding > Long Coding Helper > Byte 6, change from 26 to 36
03 - ABS Brakes > Security Access > Enter code 61378 (see pop-up that appears)
03 - ABS Brakes > Coding > Long Coding Helper > Change Byte 2 from 1D to 9D
09 - Central Elec > Coding > Long Coding Helper > Byte 18, Bit 5, check “Trailer Hitch/Recognition active”
19 - CAN Gateway > Installation List > Check trailer module 69
3C - Lane Change > Coding > Long Coding Helper > Byte 2, Bits 4-7, check "Trailer Installed"
46 - Central Convenience Module > Coding > Long Coding Helper > Byte 12, Bit 5, check “Trailer Control Module Installed”
6C - Backup Camera > Coding > Manually change the value from 1020010 to 1030010
69 - Trailer > Coding > Long Coding Helper > Change from “RoW” to “North America/US” using drop down list

also noted from earlier in his thread - somewhat concerning
"...my mechanic and I appear to have completed all the coding, but we are stuck on one step. For the trailer module 69, how do you enable the VCDS to change the WSC, Importer, and Equipment number values? They are greyed out. I know the Importer is the key value. It's currently 123 and needs to change to 444. It looks like until this value is changed that the hint from watdogusing the Curt 57004 won't work to clear the error codes."

:-(
The issue turned out to be that my mechanics VCDS was set to stealth mode in the Options. Once he added values for WSC, Importer, and Equipment Number, the values were changed in the trailer module (69). Afterwards, he deleted the VCDS configuration to reset it back to stealth mode.

Given that, It looks like my trailer module may be in some weird state. The running lights are always on (both with the car off or on) and the trailer turn light error codes simply will not go away even when I have tried numerous times doing the restart procedure listed in this and other threads. All the lights work perfectly fine though. As a result, I'm planning to add a switch on my trailer to turn off the running lights when I park at a gas station, restaurant, etc., and simply ignore the error codes. I may get a different module someday.

And yes, I tried both incandescent and LED bulbs; no difference.

Happy motoring/camping!

Last edited by browniestarmite; 08-08-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CABLE IS NOW SOLD, Thanks to Warhead ( Audiworld member )
Old 08-19-2021, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankQ5
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CABLE IS NOW SOLD, Thanks to Warhead ( Audiworld member )
Thanks, Cable looks great!
Old 08-28-2021, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

For those interested, I have a trailer module in very good condition, just unplugged from a accidented Q5 2012 . Genuine part number 8K0 907 383 E. Message me for details. Thanks

Audi Q5 Trailer Detection Module
Old 09-01-2021, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Please take note that the module is now sold, Thanks to Warhead (Audiworld member)

Quick Reply: Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)