Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

It really astounds me that Audi left this setup as an orphan.I have it installed at delivery and it's a very good reliable system.As stated previously the car is set up to receive this option in a plug and play fashion.What were they thinking ?
Old 03-06-2021, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info I'm struggling for a way to do this so i can tow. i just purchase a sq5 2016 and i'm so frustrated w this not been able to just hack away i have seen so many vid. from people doing a 4 way wire and im not happy ( especially a guy from E trailer vid ) no way im not doing that lol thanks for this input..can you share more info like pic.?
Old 03-06-2021, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by evoten
thanks for the info I'm struggling for a way to do this so i can tow. i just purchase a sq5 2016 and i'm so frustrated w this not been able to just hack away i have seen so many vid. from people doing a 4 way wire and im not happy ( especially a guy from E trailer vid ) no way im not doing that lol thanks for this input..can you share more info like pic.?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...stion-2964381/
Old 03-06-2021, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by evoten

All the pinout and wiring info is in post #1 of this thread
Old 03-06-2021, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a big help. I bought a 2016 Q5 TDI Dec of 2019 with 2K miles on I, from the dealer. It didn't have a hitch on it and I didn't think it was no big deal, just add one later, LOL. Its been a year and after reading everything about adding a hitch, and finding this page, I have decided to add the hitch. I have ordered everything Woodepic said to order in post #1 to make my own harness. I could not find the 2x N.906.845.05 (large pin,large gauge). I have not ordered the hitch yet. I like the stealth one but you have to order the one with the wiring kit, which I do not need. So I'm still deciding on the hitch itself. All the other parts should be here in early April. I ordered the control module from ESC tuning on sale for $375 shipped. Hopefully everything will go smooth. Any input or secrets would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-06-2021, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zracat
This is a big help. I bought a 2016 Q5 TDI Dec of 2019 with 2K miles on I, from the dealer. It didn't have a hitch on it and I didn't think it was no big deal, just add one later, LOL. Its been a year and after reading everything about adding a hitch, and finding this page, I have decided to add the hitch. I have ordered everything Woodepic said to order in post #1 to make my own harness. I could not find the 2x N.906.845.05 (large pin,large gauge). I have not ordered the hitch yet. I like the stealth one but you have to order the one with the wiring kit, which I do not need. So I'm still deciding on the hitch itself. All the other parts should be here in early April. I ordered the control module from ESC tuning on sale for $375 shipped. Hopefully everything will go smooth. Any input or secrets would be appreciated. Thanks
I'm sure the audi dealer would have the missing parts. Since they're just a wire, they should be very cheap, plus dealers get parts super fast.

Also regarding the hitch, the trailer controller is super cheap, I doubt it cost any more than $50. I really like that the tow package has a rigid mount so you don't hear clunking of a hitch in the socket as you drive. The hidden hitch is a luxury for sure based on its price, but if money is no object, that's my favourite. Any hitch should really be fine though.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I've parsed the whole thread. Huge thanks for the work here.

One question: If we think the Macan hitch works, do we also think that the Macan wiring harness may as well? Not that I'm excited about paying the $1k for the Macan hitch setup, but if it got me a factory harness....
FWIW I have a Macan in the garage too, with a hitch, if that helps and some sleuthing would be of use.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I think I've parsed the whole thread. Huge thanks for the work here.

One question: If we think the Macan hitch works, do we also think that the Macan wiring harness may as well? Not that I'm excited about paying the $1k for the Macan hitch setup, but if it got me a factory harness....
FWIW I have a Macan in the garage too, with a hitch, if that helps and some sleuthing would be of use.
Only the frames of the Macan and MK I Q5 are interchangeable. The electronics are a whole different beast.
Maybe the MK II Q5 was used in some other Porsche or VW but I have no reason to research this.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Nah I would't count on the Macan working with the Audi, there's vast electronic differentiation between the two.VW is a far more likely candidate for researching modules.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
Only the frames of the Macan and MK I Q5 are interchangeable. The electronics are a whole different beast.
Maybe the MK II Q5 was used in some other Porsche or VW but I have no reason to research this.
OK. If someone wants me to pull off a panel and look for part numbers, LMK. I can tell you there are a bunch of audi part numbers stamped all over the suspension

Quick Reply: Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)