Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Unable to steam Pandora through Droid 3G in Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to steam Pandora through Droid 3G in Q5

I just bought a 2011 Q5 premium plus. I am unable to stream Pandora through my 3G Droid, with the $59.00 cable purchased from Audi dealership. Phone is paired to Bluetooth. Pandora will play on phone in car but not through sound system.I now have 2different cables for iphone and Droid and neither of our smart phones will stream Pandora . Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

This has been made clear many times.

The Q5's MMI system does not, and I mean it DOES NOT support stereo (A2DP) streaming over the unit's bluetooth.

I have a feeling that the cable you bought is a 3.5mm aux jack, which is used for standard audio, not the bluetooth audio, you just have to go to Media -> Source -> External.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default confused

why are you purchasing a cable if you are trying to stream through bluetooth (which doesn't work with the q5) ?

Originally Posted by djr515@verizon.net
I just bought a 2011 Q5 premium plus. I am unable to stream Pandora through my 3G Droid, with the $59.00 cable purchased from Audi dealership. Phone is paired to Bluetooth. Pandora will play on phone in car but not through sound system.I now have 2different cables for iphone and Droid and neither of our smart phones will stream Pandora . Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stevedusa
This has been made clear many times.

The Q5's MMI system does not, and I mean it DOES NOT support stereo (A2DP) streaming over the unit's bluetooth.

I have a feeling that the cable you bought is a 3.5mm aux jack, which is used for standard audio, not the bluetooth audio, you just have to go to Media -> Source -> External.
Wait a sec ... if you connect your phone to the cable, it still cannot play streaming audio on the MMI - or am I wrong? (I have an iphone and haven't gotten it to work, play from my mp3s yes)
Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by loscoz
Wait a sec ... if you connect your phone to the cable, it still cannot play streaming audio on the MMI - or am I wrong? (I have an iphone and haven't gotten it to work, play from my mp3s yes)
If the cable you are connecting to your phone is one of those straight 3.5mm plug and you plug it onto that round hole in the phone then yes, you can hear anything coming out of the phone.

However, if it's the long thin ipod/iphone dock connector then all you are going to hear is whatever the MMI was told to play, AKA the iTunes stuff. Streaming radio and other audio signal will NOT work with the iPod/iPhone dock connector cable, but the 3.5mm cable will, so depends on which cable did you use for your MMI.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i bought the 3.5 mm cable to play streaming music. have to say it sounds like crap compared to sirius, hd radio and dvd's.. i would imagine the i pod cable connected to an ipod is gonna blow this away too. im not gonna bother with the 3.5 cable.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sfaudiguy
i bought the 3.5 mm cable to play streaming music. have to say it sounds like crap compared to sirius, hd radio and dvd's.. i would imagine the i pod cable connected to an ipod is gonna blow this away too. im not gonna bother with the 3.5 cable.
You are actually quite correct on that one. The iPod/iPhone's line-level output on the cable sounds great in the car.

I personally have not tested the 3.5mm cable but my solution for the problem is using a modified iPod cable (change the resistor to 1k ohm) and an A2DP receiver (iSkin CERULEAN RX), with multiple devices that has A2DP profile so I can pretty much leave it wireless and not touch the glovebox ever.

The sound's good too, not as good as direct source but it's not bad.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stevedusa
If the cable you are connecting to your phone is one of those straight 3.5mm plug and you plug it onto that round hole in the phone then yes, you can hear anything coming out of the phone.

However, if it's the long thin ipod/iphone dock connector then all you are going to hear is whatever the MMI was told to play, AKA the iTunes stuff. Streaming radio and other audio signal will NOT work with the iPod/iPhone dock connector cable, but the 3.5mm cable will, so depends on which cable did you use for your MMI.
This also explains what cable was purchased by djr515 ... as my Q did not come with the 3.5mm but did the ipod dock connector cable.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the different model years ?

as our 11 Q works flawlessly with the 16 Gig Ipod Touch and new Nano...(we do use the supplied ipod cable)

but, we don't do the streaming you speak of and the music sounds best off the ipod...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 09-02-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Is it the different model years ?

as our 11 Q works flawlessly with the 16 Gig Ipod Touch and new Nano...(we do use the supplied ipod cable)

but, we don't do the streaming you speak of and the music sounds best off the ipod...
If I am correct all Q5s all uses the same interface connector. It's just what you want to play thru the AMI/MMI matters.

Yes iPod/iPhone integration on the MMI is pretty good, however not everybody has or even want to use an i-device. That's where the modification comes in.

Just like using an Android phone, if you like the stock, great, so much the power to you, but once you want to expand the ability and freedom, you gotta do some work on it. Same goes for the MMI in our Q5s.