Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Unusual for a dealer trade to take a week?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual for a dealer trade to take a week?

Never had a dealer trade take this long. Salesman says that it is taking other dealer several days (so far 4 days) to decide on car for trade. Is this common?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by StrikerNo9
Never had a dealer trade take this long. Salesman says that it is taking other dealer several days (so far 4 days) to decide on car for trade. Is this common?
We just went through this and it took nearly two weeks from when we were told the dealership said they would swap inventory to when we took delivery. We were told the dealer with our Q5 in stock was in the middle of a management and building change, so the negotiations had to start all over at one point (the new management didn't know anything about a deal). I was a stress case all the way through this because there was nothing I could do to help the process. I'm happy my dealership stuck through with it and finally obtained our Q5 - and we took delivery this week!

Hang in there!
Old 09-15-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks and congrats on your new Q5!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by StrikerNo9
had the same issue with our sq5. it's all about the relationship between the two dealers...for some reason, I always assumed that if there was a car out there at another dealer, it was an easy swap, but apparently both have to agree, and the swapped car can be even more difficult to negotiate than the "located" car. throw in any car with an "S" badge, and it makes it even more difficult because of the rarity. Ours worked out, but it was touch and go for about 10 days
Old 09-18-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

It only "needs" to take one or two phone calls. Salesman goes to manager, says "Can we get this car?". Manager calls other manager, says "Can we get this car? What do you want for it?" (Sometimes a swap, sometimes a purchase.)

Sometimes the other guy needs to check and call back.

But a businessman gets it done then and there, or calls back within a business day.

Of course, you can always motivate someone by telling them that if they can't get the car delivery by (tomorrow, Monday, 72 hours, whatever) you can always just go someplace else to get the car.

I was really shocked when I found out how many people and places have no telephone service these days, and have no idea that using one can actually make things happen weeks faster. (sigh.)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
It only "needs" to take one or two phone calls. Salesman goes to manager, says "Can we get this car?". Manager calls other manager, says "Can we get this car? What do you want for it?" (Sometimes a swap, sometimes a purchase.)

Sometimes the other guy needs to check and call back.

But a businessman gets it done then and there, or calls back within a business day.

Of course, you can always motivate someone by telling them that if they can't get the car delivery by (tomorrow, Monday, 72 hours, whatever) you can always just go someplace else to get the car.

I was really shocked when I found out how many people and places have no telephone service these days, and have no idea that using one can actually make things happen weeks faster. (sigh.)
In theory that would be true, but in practice it isn't, especially if the car you're looking for is either in high demand or is unusual is some manner.

In our case we were looking for a 2016 Q5 TDI in Utopia Blue with Titanium Gray interior. In addition it had to have the technology and luxury packages. There was exactly one vehicle in the US meeting our requirements. Our option was to either have the dealerships make the trade or wait for our factory order to arrive in 3 months. The smart thing for me to do was allow the dealerships to make the deal and not try to "help/screw up" the process. I never checked out the specific car on the dealer's website (and to let them think someone else was interested in it, and hence hold onto the car themselves). Yes, I probably am overthinking it, but in the end we got the vehicle we wanted without waiting for a factory order.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer trade took forever. 2 deals went south and they found a third that would work with them. It is a painful process most of the time.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Jiminy-
I know from experience (once upon a time...) that it actually IS done that way on an everyday basis.
Bringing in a car can be as simple, or as difficult, as changing a light bulb. If the two dealers (or their managers, whatever) know each other, like each other, compete with each other, agree or disagree on the values and how the profits may be split...they can bicker all week long about it, or even simply say "Not interested." Or they can just set up a deal and be done with it in ten minutes.
A business like any other. In the rare event that both parties act as adults and reach a meeting of the minds, the deal is done. If either one wants to be unreasonable in some way, or just doesn't want to play...again, deal is done.
Old joke: Man says to woman, will you sleep with me for a million dollars? She says yes. He says, ok, how about a hundred dollars? She says, what kind of girl do you think I am? He says, we already know that, the only question now is price.

Same thing on the car. Two people in a high-profit business have to negotiate a price on your deal, that's all. The deal, and the profit, are worth a limited amount of time.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Redd, I'm not disagreeing with the gist of what you say. We once had a dealer trade which probably took less than 30 minutes to hammer out. It's the dealership with the car who has the leverage, so if they really don't want to trade, it won't happen. We were simply trying to speed up the process and get our Q5 without having to wait for our factory order.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, we're on the same page with that.

Note to car dealers: These are some of the reasons why I'd rather buy cars way less often.

But I do like the way Audi has retained the fancy "You can turn it off with your left knee, really, that's a feature!" light switch on the Q5.(G)