Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

US SQ5: Premium vs Prestige?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomb01
Sadly, living in Texas my next car will have ventilated seats, so Prestige/comfort it is!
I would highly recommend forgoing the sunroof too. That will add more comfort than all the "comfort" options combined!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is an interesting idea. I am 6'4" and I am really thinking about getting rid of the sunroof. That will give me about an inch of extra head room. Besides, living in South Florida adding some more concern. On the other hand, it is a nice feature to have. Still thinking about that one.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in south Texas and I can't stomach paying $2750 more for the prestige package with the additional option to buy the comfort package at $2100 ($4850 total), just to have ventilated seats!

Question: If you pick comfort pkg, do you loose the "sports" seat?
I want my sport seats.

I've thought about deleting the sunroof, but I'm afraid that will come back to bite me when I go to re-sell. Besides, why wouldn't Audi give you money back if you opted "not" to have it. I would do it, if I saved money.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkrus
I live in south Texas and I can't stomach paying $2750 more for the prestige package with the additional option to buy the comfort package at $2100 ($4850 total), just to have ventilated seats!

Question: If you pick comfort pkg, do you loose the "sports" seat?
I want my sport seats.

I've thought about deleting the sunroof, but I'm afraid that will come back to bite me when I go to re-sell. Besides, why wouldn't Audi give you money back if you opted "not" to have it. I would do it, if I saved money.
Yes, no sport seats if you choose comfort pkg, and it limits you to either all black or all brown perforated seats. No option for two-tone nappa or alcantara.

Was a tough call for me because I really wanted the cooled seats, but I wanted the two-tone sport seats with thigh adjusters even more.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My $0.02 - go for premium plus. I have been driving quite a bit over the last few weeks in 90-100F weather and the nappa sport seats are great...no sticking to my legs while wearing shorts. Also, do not forego the sunroof...it, along with the shade, is awesome. Great way to let heat escape while AC gets going and wonderful on warm evening drives. Mine has B&O, side assist, MMI. I couldn't care less about heat/cool cup holders, rear shades (rears come with good tint), or adaptive headlights.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the works. Prestige w/ comfort. No regrets. When you spend this kind of money why skimp? Love the vented seats.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I owned a 2011 3.2 Prestige black/black with S-Line and at that time you could not combine the Comfort Package (then called luxury) with the S-Line package. I had no choice but to forego ventilated seats and there were occasions I wished I had them. Getting in to my car parked in the hot sun or driving on a long road trip always meant a sweaty back by the time I got to my destination with the leather seats.

I had an X6 with leather and alcantara seats and this is an acceptable combo, while not as comfortable as ventilated seats, the alcantara breathes enough to keep me from sweating on a hot day, even when parked in sun, so I can recommend the standard SQ5 leather/alcantara seats as a lower cost alternative to comfort seats.

I'd recommend the standard leather/alcantara or comfort seats in hot or sunny climates. Full nappa is great so long as the car is in the shade most of the time. The sport seats on the SQ5 are quite comfortable and the standard leather/alcantara combo would certainly be much cheaper. The comfort seats are comfortable as well. Not quite as much side bolstering as sport though.

Last edited by TonySCV; 09-01-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcom
My $0.02 - go for premium plus. I have been driving quite a bit over the last few weeks in 90-100F weather and the nappa sport seats are great...no sticking to my legs while wearing shorts. Also, do not forego the sunroof...it, along with the shade, is awesome.
There's a big difference between 90 degree weather and 110 degree weather (think about the difference between 70 degrees and 90 degrees).

To the TX members - do some searches on this. Sure you might lose some value when you go to sell, but why would you want to suffer during your ownership because of resale value? Besides, if you live in an extremely hot climate there are bound to be other people who are specifically looking for a car without sunroof too. It's obviously a personal choice, but if I had to deal with anything higher than 90 degrees on a daily basis I would get rid of the sunroof. Heck, I didn't even want the sunroof option on my pickup truck because the 80 degree summers here are too hot for me, lol.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
There's a big difference between 90 degree weather and 110 degree weather (think about the difference between 70 degrees and 90 degrees).

To the TX members - do some searches on this. Sure you might lose some value when you go to sell, but why would you want to suffer during your ownership because of resale value? Besides, if you live in an extremely hot climate there are bound to be other people who are specifically looking for a car without sunroof too. It's obviously a personal choice, but if I had to deal with anything higher than 90 degrees on a daily basis I would get rid of the sunroof. Heck, I didn't even want the sunroof option on my pickup truck because the 80 degree summers here are too hot for me, lol.
I'll take the sunroof for myself. I'll be tinting (specifically going for heat rejection rather than blacking out), but want it for myself. To each their own, though, and this will be the first car I'll have tinted, too, even with 100-110F summers, so I've been able to take hot cars. Never considered Comfort, but even Prestige was more than I preferred to do. But Texas doesn't have to mean "no sunroof". Regardless, though, everyone should do what they want. Really don't want the sunroof? Then delete it, screw any resale hit (as you say, it'll likely be worth it for you getting what you want while you own it).

Last edited by idale; 08-23-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec

I live in Texas and the sunroof seems to be no big deal to me. It takes about 5 minutes for the car to cool off once in with the AC blowing. It would also take about 5 minutes without the sunroof.

Quick Reply: US SQ5: Premium vs Prestige?