Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VAG-COM codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the confusion. I think this link has the most accurate settings.

http://audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html

If this is correct, we need to set Byte 8 to:

Byte 8 Bit 0 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Engine/Gearbox (This bit enables throttle response control)
Byte 8 Bit 1 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Steering (This bit enables steering response control)
Byte 8 Bit 2 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Engine On MMI Menu (If equipped)
Byte 8 Bit 4 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Steering On MMI Menu (If equipped)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgt
This is exactly what I did (below). However, I will also test bit 1 and see if I notice a difference.

[09 - Cent Elect.] VCDS coding of Audi Drive Select

[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 7 -> Bit 5 change 0 to 1
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 8 -> Bit 2 change 0 to 1 (Display Engine in MMI)
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 8 -> Bit 4 change 0 to 1 (Display Steering in MMI)
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 17 -> Bit 7 change 0 to 1 (enable MMI display)
tgt, not sure how I missed your post. Noticed that you have Bit 4 enabled instead of Bit 1 for steering. Do you actually notice a change in the steering feel when you switch between Comfort / Dynamic / Auto?

On both a Q5 P+ w/ NAV and S4 P+ w/ NAV, I had Bit 4 activated and couldn't feel a real difference in steering feel. After some discussion on the A4 forums, tried Bit 1 instead of Bit 4 and the difference was very noticeable.

Originally Posted by tortuga
Sorry for the confusion. I think this link has the most accurate settings.

http://audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html

If this is correct, we need to set Byte 8 to:

Byte 8 Bit 0 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Engine/Gearbox (This bit enables throttle response control)
Byte 8 Bit 1 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Steering (This bit enables steering response control)
Byte 8 Bit 2 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Engine On MMI Menu (If equipped)
Byte 8 Bit 4 Change 0 to 1 - Enable Steering On MMI Menu (If equipped)
tortuga, I think this is adding confusion. =)

There was a lot of debate on the A4 forums and IIRC, David@Audienthusiasts mentioned that there are a lot of different possible vehicle configurations so these directions could differ by car/equipment. (I think that's one of the reasons he delayed posting this on his site)

Regarding the bits, I understand that it should be EITHER bit 0 or 2 for Engine (Throttle Response) and EITHER bit 2 or 4 for Steering.

You can confirm this by not activating bits 2 and 4 (which are stated to enable the MMI menu options) and you'll still have the MMI menu items because you enabled bits 0 and 1.

We've tried this for several cars (S4 P+ and Q5 P+ models) and the bits we are using are:
- Byte 8 Bit 1 for Steering
- Byte 8 Bit 2 for Engine (Throttle Response)

Note that I have the Steering option available on the MMI even though David's directions would indicate that I need to enable bit 4.

Also, it seems that the difference between bits 0 and 2 for Engine are not just that one enables and the other shows the menu item:
- According to some reports, Bit 0 for Engine puts the car is "S" mode even if you have the shifter in "D" mode when you change the Engine setting to "Dynamic" via the MMI. (I wonder if it also changes the car into "D" mode in the "Comfort" setting even if the shifter is in "S")
- Bit 2 improves throttle response with the shifter in both "S" mode and "D" mode when the Engine setting is set to "Dynamic".

Again, the Byte 8 bits that are confirmed to work on a 2010 Q5 P+ w/ NAV are 1 and 2.

If your car has a different configuration/trim level, YMMV. For those who haven't done this yet and want to try it out, as stated in other forums, just try one bit at at time (0,1,2,4) and see what shows up on your MMI menu and whether you notice a difference in steering / throttle response, respectively.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This worked pretty straight forward for me, and the steering is much much more stiff now! I noticed when the engine is set to dynamic, the gearing goes into sport mode. Is that the only thing is does? I never found shifting down another notch all that tedious, and was curious if it does anything more..
Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by asm777
tgt, not sure how I missed your post. Noticed that you have Bit 4 enabled instead of Bit 1 for steering. Do you actually notice a change in the steering feel when you switch between Comfort / Dynamic / Auto?

On both a Q5 P+ w/ NAV and S4 P+ w/ NAV, I had Bit 4 activated and couldn't feel a real difference in steering feel. After some discussion on the A4 forums, tried Bit 1 instead of Bit 4 and the difference was very noticeable.

tortuga, I think this is adding confusion. =)

There was a lot of debate on the A4 forums and IIRC, David@Audienthusiasts mentioned that there are a lot of different possible vehicle configurations so these directions could differ by car/equipment. (I think that's one of the reasons he delayed posting this on his site)

Regarding the bits, I understand that it should be EITHER bit 0 or 2 for Engine (Throttle Response) and EITHER bit 2 or 4 for Steering.

You can confirm this by not activating bits 2 and 4 (which are stated to enable the MMI menu options) and you'll still have the MMI menu items because you enabled bits 0 and 1.

We've tried this for several cars (S4 P+ and Q5 P+ models) and the bits we are using are:
- Byte 8 Bit 1 for Steering
- Byte 8 Bit 2 for Engine (Throttle Response)

Note that I have the Steering option available on the MMI even though David's directions would indicate that I need to enable bit 4.

Also, it seems that the difference between bits 0 and 2 for Engine are not just that one enables and the other shows the menu item:
- According to some reports, Bit 0 for Engine puts the car is "S" mode even if you have the shifter in "D" mode when you change the Engine setting to "Dynamic" via the MMI. (I wonder if it also changes the car into "D" mode in the "Comfort" setting even if the shifter is in "S")
- Bit 2 improves throttle response with the shifter in both "S" mode and "D" mode when the Engine setting is set to "Dynamic".

Again, the Byte 8 bits that are confirmed to work on a 2010 Q5 P+ w/ NAV are 1 and 2.

If your car has a different configuration/trim level, YMMV. For those who haven't done this yet and want to try it out, as stated in other forums, just try one bit at at time (0,1,2,4) and see what shows up on your MMI menu and whether you notice a difference in steering / throttle response, respectively.

Hope that helps!
You are right asm777!
I am using the same setting as you now:

MMI Hidden Menu
[car] [cardevicelist] -> check "charisma"
[car] [carmenuoperation] -> change "charisma" from 0 to 5
Reset MMI - Setup/Scroll Wheel/Top Right

[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 7 -> Bit 5 change 0 to 1

[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 8 -> Bit 1 change 0 to 1
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 8 -> Bit 2 change 0 to 1

[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 17 -> Bit 7 change 0 to 1

[Security Access - 16] [Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 63 -> Change to 4
[Security Access - 16] [Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 64 -> Change to 4
[Security Access - 16] [Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 65 -> Change to 4
[Security Access - 16] [Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 66 -> Change to 4

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default VAG mods on Q5 model 2012

Anyone mad Mods on the 2012 Q5 model?
Is it the same cable as for the 2011 models?

New Q5 170ps TDI monsoon grey arriving in september.

Grts
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DominiqueVD
Anyone mad Mods on the 2012 Q5 model?
Is it the same cable as for the 2011 models?

New Q5 170ps TDI monsoon grey arriving in september.

Grts
I purchased the Ross-Tech VAGCOM cable a couple months ago, and just did two quick mods on my '12 Q5 last night - added the gauge sweep, and disabled the winking DRL LEDs.

Both of those went smoothly and were easy. I also tried to get the Fog Lights to stay on with high beams, but the check boxes didn't exist in Byte 4 as the instructions for it had claimed.

When I have more time, I plan on opening the Hidden Menu, and enabling Video In Motion.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

tortuga, NP - glad to hear you've got everything working! =)

DominiqueVD - Should be the same for 2012. http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

geronimosan - A lot of the mods don't have "check boxes". In each byte, you'll notice that there's a set of 8 bits (e.g. 01010101). Note that the bits are labeled right to left and start at 0. In my example, bits 6,4,2 and 0 are enabled):
coding: 01010101
bit # : 76543210

Some of the bits are documented by Ross-Tech and they've added the check boxes. You'll note that the check boxes just flip the identified bits on and off but you'll need to manually change some of the bits for options that don't have check boxes.

Oh, also, I guess I should have also shared this in the main thread. Someone should do a sticky with a summary so people don't have to read through the however many pages there are here...

Disable "Lights On" Warning

[09 - Cent Elect.] [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 5 Bit 3 - Change 1 to 0

Credit to r32breeze over at AZ (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-annoying-beep!)

Last edited by asm777; 08-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by asm777
geronimosan - A lot of the mods don't have "check boxes". In each byte, you'll notice that there's a set of 8 bits (e.g. 01010101). Note that the bits are labeled right to left and start at 0. In my example, bits 6,4,2 and 0 are enabled):
coding: 01010101
bit #: 876543210

Disable "Lights On" Warning

[09 - Cent Elect.] [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 5 Bit 3 - Change 1 to 0

Credit to r32breeze over at AZ (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-annoying-beep!)
Thanks for that clarification. I remember seeing the full coding, so will edit that for the Fog Light change.

And thank you for posting how to disable the lights on warning - that thing is ANNOYING!!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just ran out to the car to try these out. I wasn't able to edit the code in the Long Code Helper window, but I figured out how to open up the LCode2 window, copy in the long code, make the three changes (front fogs, rear fogs, and "lights on" warning), get the new code, paste that into the Long Code Helper screen, and save that. Worked like a charm! Now no more annoying Lights On buzz!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks,

I am mostly interested in the VIM, and activating the bluetootch if possible?

Dit not now what options where included, so i did not order the bleutootch.Purchased the car in 20 min time..
Is it necessary to provide an additional microphone?
My car has the nav plus (adventurepack plus europe version).

If someone made these changes on the 2012 model Q5 please share these with me.

Quick Reply: VAG-COM codes