Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Vibration noise from driver side B-pillar area... anyone know the fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vibration noise from driver side B-pillar area... anyone know the fix?

I have this vibration noise coming from driver side B-pillar area for quite some time now when driving on bumpy or uneven pavement. It seems coming from top right hand corner of rear driver side window adjacent to B-pillar. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens very often when it's hot outside; especially when the car been parked outside baked under the sun for hours. I brought it to dealer for repair this issue today and 6 hours later dealer called to informed me the car is ready for pick up. Unfortunately, the noise comes back half way home but a bit quieter than before. Below is what dealer put on the work order:

Technician confirmed the noise/vibration nearby driver side B-pillar area but can't find the source. Removed B-pillar trim and test drive, noise still exist. Removed coat hanger while the B-pillar trim been removed and test drive, noise still exist. Test drive with another technician and confirmed noise is still there but can't pinpoint the source. Put B-pillar trim and coat hanger back securely and test drive, noise/vibration still exist. Applied lubricant around the door inside seal and also outside seal and test drive, noise seems goes away. Applied lubricant to driver door seals and also passenger side doors. Vehicle released.

Like I said earlier, lubricant doesn't really fix the problem. I suspect the vibration noise is coming from window frame, mis-aligned door, or the outside black B-pillar trim. Anyone had/having this issue and what caused it and what was the fix? Should I bring the work order to other dealer?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, one more thing, when it is happening I can parked the car, step outside, open and then close either driver door or driver side passenger side door and hear the vibration sound from outside.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michael voigt also complained of this on his 2011 but never posted a sulution.
Here is the thread... save you going to the body faults column and looking for rattles.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just throwing this out there, because we have noticed, in both our Audis, that where we hear sound coming from, isn't always where the sound originates from. We used to have a similar noise to yours, in both the A4 and Q5, and it turned out to be the side panels at the end of the dashboard on each end. They would vibrate to no end on bumpy roads, and the noise was worse when the vehicle was warm/hot. My partner thought the sound was coming from the sunroof area, and I from the rear area of the front doors. The panels pop off, and once the areas where the plates mate with the dashboard were lined with felt tape, the noise was gone for good.

Your noise could be completely different, but past experience has led me to check areas other than those where I think the sound is coming from. Have you checked other areas to see if the noise may be coming from some random location?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally I was waiting for someone to post this. I thought I was the only one having this problem. It only happens when it is hot outside and the noise is coming from the black plastic piece on the door around the window. I think it is the top left corner of the driver's door. The noise stops when I open the door and push the plastic in. It then come back an couple of hours later or if I drive on a really bumpy road. I was planning to report this to the dealer since I just barely got this car in Feb.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

tranp10: I found the source over the weekend. It was coming from the top end of the glossy black trim outside of the passenger door (very close to the weather strip). I can hear the vibration noise while banging the black trim with driver door opened. If I pressing down the weather strip and bang the peice, no vibration appear.

I will call dealer tomorrow to make an appointment again. With summer is coming soon, I want to get this fixed.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info. I will mention this to my dealer too. Can't stand the rattling noise right next to my ears when it gets hot.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Any news if this fixed the vibration. This has been annoying the heck out of me. Mine sounds like it's coming from the seat belt adjuster (which is right next to my ear).
Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the Same noise which comes from the seatbelt adjuster area. Only have the problem if it is hot.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I too have the same noise from the seat belt adjuster area when hot out. More of a buzzing/ ticking than a rattle.