Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Visited BMW today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visited BMW today.

So i was considering an X3 for my wife. I sat in an X1,X3, X5. I have to say I was not impressed. The interior quality is definately a notch down from current Audis. Many pieces are flimsy includind the sun visors which feel like they belong in a Kia. The sliding ashtray covers are cheap. No auto close like in the Audi. the dashboard is a weird vinyl material. many buttons and switches look and feel cheap.This was all in a $65k X5. I also noticed rattles when slamming drivers doors on even the 750. The power tailgate on X3 opens and closes with a thud( not in a good way). Overall these cars seem to need some fine tuning. plus they were all way more expensive than Audi in comparison. Sorry BMW but I now know why Audi is killing u. A side note. this was a rather large and new dealership. In sales office was a large board with sales goal of 203 vehicles for the month. they had only sold 60. 4 cars a day is not paying their bills. My dad was a long time BMW owner but they have definately not kept up with competition.

Last edited by ssteigss; 12-15-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually both BMW and Audi are doing very well. Year To Date Sales:

Total BMW = 244,061 +10.4%
Total Audi = 124,469 +11%

Total X3 = 30,011 +23.1%
Total Q5 = 25,045 +11%
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
So i was considering an X3 for my wife. I sat in an X1,X3, X5. I have to say I was not impressed. The interior quality is definately a notch down from current Audis. Many pieces are flimsy includind the sun visors which feel like they belong in a Kia. The sliding ashtray covers are cheap. No auto close like in the Audi. the dashboard is a weird vinyl material. many buttons and switches look and feel cheap.This was all in a $65k X5. I also noticed rattles when slamming drivers doors on even the 750. The power tailgate on X3 opens and closes with a thud( not in a good way). Overall these cars seem to need some fine tuning. plus they were all way more expensive than Audi in comparison. Sorry BMW but I now know why Audi is killing u. A side note. this was a rather large and new dealership. In sales office was a large board with sales goal of 203 vehicles for the month. they had only sold 60. 4 cars a day is not paying their bills. My dad was a long time BMW owner but they have definately not kept up with competition.
Agreed. Thank you for validating the price difference - I am consistently seeing people here looking at base MSRP in comparison and thinking The X's are cheaper when they simply aren't, when you option them out with their convoluted option process, the price skyrockets.

Problem is, even with everything you just said, the X's are still way more fun to drive in comparison (opinion of course).
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An Audi interior is nicer, yes we all agree with that. (though i much prefer iDrive to MMI)

Where a BMW gets you is it's driving dynamics. it's much more balanced and "sporty" than an audi.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
An Audi interior is nicer, yes we all agree with that. (though i much prefer iDrive to MMI)

Where a BMW gets you is it's driving dynamics. it's much more balanced and "sporty" than an audi.

Do not confuse "sporty" with a harsher drive. It is merely a perception.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman

It's all a matter of opinion, but I totally disagree. BMW has perfected the connection between the driver and the road. The X1/X3 are simply more fun to drive - quicker, more agile, and better balanced than just about any competitor in their respective range. If thats what a buyer values above other things (IMO convenience, technology, price) 9x out of 10 they will buy BMW.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rory breaker
It's all a matter of opinion, but I totally disagree. BMW has perfected the connection between the driver and the road. The X1/X3 are simply more fun to drive - quicker, more agile, and better balanced than just about any competitor in their respective range. If thats what a buyer values above other things (IMO convenience, technology, price) 9x out of 10 they will buy BMW.
I of course left out how they compare as far as driving. But for the average person like me who uses his car to commute( rarely get above 40mph) the ability to take a sweeping S curve @ 80mph will rarely be happening. Plus its not as if the Audis drive like a boat. So unless there was something Magical about the drive I couldnt get passed the build / material quality I saw.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsackman

Harsher ride could be attributed to the run flat tires. Face it, Audi's understeer like no tomorrow and feel so heavy up front. They're not terrible handling cars at all, they somehow make it work but it just doesn't inspire the driver to want to do more.

BMW makes a car that is a driving drivers car. You get steering feel and brake feel. Audi has no minimal steering feel and the brakes have no feel either. They work great. the steering on the Audi is nice on the highway and the brakes do stop you. It's not bad, it's just different.

Originally Posted by ssteigss
I of course left out how they compare as far as driving. But for the average person like me who uses his car to commute( rarely get above 40mph) the ability to take a sweeping S curve @ 80mph will rarely be happening. Plus its not as if the Audis drive like a boat. So unless there was something Magical about the drive I couldnt get passed the build / material quality I saw.
Exactly right. You have to sacrifice some things based on need/usage
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Harsher ride could be attributed to the run flat tires. Face it, Audi's understeer like no tomorrow and feel so heavy up front. They're not terrible handling cars at all, they somehow make it work but it just doesn't inspire the driver to want to do more.

BMW makes a car that is a driving drivers car. You get steering feel and brake feel. Audi has no minimal steering feel and the brakes have no feel either. They work great. the steering on the Audi is nice on the highway and the brakes do stop you. It's not bad, it's just different.

Exactly right. You have to sacrifice some things based on need/usage
So assuming that BMW has mastered the driving experience they should still be making the other aspects of the car better( interior quality) etc. These cars are at best equal but IMHO quite a bit more expensive once you compare options. Forget comparing a $45k Q5 to $45k X3. I saw cheap interior parts/ rattling doors etc. in a x5 which is north of $65k and a 750 ($100k). I was quite surprised. But this is just my view.

Last edited by ssteigss; 12-15-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rory breaker
It's all a matter of opinion, but I totally disagree.

How do they say, "An opinion is like a navel..."

I have been driving Audis for quite a while and sadly fell for the "Ultimate Driving Machine" nonsense just to see what they are talking about and bought a 2012 328i (F30 with the N20 motor). I did have a 318i in the early 80's and was hoping I was going to get something of similar nature. Sadly not the case.

I actually have both Audi's and BMW's (and VW) in my stable at the moment and can compare them side by side, both static and dynamic.

My statements are based on first had experience with the latest offerings from both marque's and 40 years of owning and driving on 4 continents.

BMW is just not up to it any more.

Quick Reply: Visited BMW today.