Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

And the wait begins..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think if the pano roof was an option, I would not have gotten it, but if I already paid for it, why would I want to delete it?
As mentioned, it's a personal preference.

I know most people love them but I am not a fan of the sun and the fact that the cover is translucent bothers me. Also, I have heat, noise, and leakage concerns.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gat821
Now parts of the country with regular summer days in the 100's might be a totally different story
Its really not bad at all. I guess it doenst get more extreme than over here (PHX) but I do feel the sun burning through the side windows (car is untinted) but I cant say I feel, or hear for that matter, anything coming through the roof.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to hijack your thread, mpraju.

But I'm glad to hear that people don't think it gets too hot with the roof because I've read complaints elsewhere. In the test drives I've done those seats are already crazy warm.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igelje

But I'm glad to hear that people don't think it gets too hot with the roof because I've read complaints elsewhere. In the test drives I've done those seats are already crazy warm.
I tinted the front windows with 30% and the sunroof with 15% ceramic. When I park all day outside, I use a sunshade for the windshield as well, and the car doesn't get hot at all. I don't have to turn the AC on to get home, and I enjoy the drive, which is only 8 miles away . I live in Southern CA. The sunroof is not too dark at all, I can still appreciate the reason for having it.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

No Problem at all. I love these discussions and being informed helped me finish the test drive and ordering process in 90 minutes this weekend.

About the heat... I did a test drive at about 3PM. It was quite comfortable and not any hotter than my Nissan Versa which has no sunroof. however it was only a nice "cool" 97 in Dallas that weekend so I cant say how it behaves in 100+ weather.

I found the mesh shade to be quite good and better than I expected after reading these forums.

Since Ill get my car only in December.. ill probably wait on the Roof tint until July-August 2011.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Acapulco
I tinted the front windows with 30% and the sunroof with 15% ceramic. When I park all day outside, I use a sunshade for the windshield as well, and the car doesn't get hot at all. I don't have to turn the AC on to get home, and I enjoy the drive, which is only 8 miles away . I live in Southern CA. The sunroof is not too dark at all, I can still appreciate the reason for having it.
How did you get away with tinting the front in Cali? I am thinking about moving back and looked up tint laws and read that you couldn't have any. If I read incorrectly, that would be great.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! Eagerly awaiting my own new ride as well, expected end of October.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

got an update from the dealer. My car will be on the boat on 28th October.

Does anybody know how long it takes to get to Houston typically once its on the ship.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you get away with tinting the front in Cali? I am thinking about moving back and looked up tint laws and read that you couldn't have any. If I read incorrectly, that would be great.
He didn't say it was legal. It's all a matter if you want to gamble and not get busted. A cop shouldn't pull you over for that but if you speed or something he might write it up too. Folks also like to drive around without a front plate but park at the airport and you'll get tickets for it.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered my Q from Millineum in Spring the last week of July. They told me last week of September, I got a phone call Monday that it was at the dealer, the wood had been installed and it was ready to go home Ill pick it up Thursday..

Quick Reply: And the wait begins..