Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wanted: Q5 purchase suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanted: Q5 purchase suggestions

I finally decide to get a Q5 3.0T.
Options:
(1) Color other than standard black/white;
(2) Technology package.

What other things do you think are must haves? I know this question largely depends on a person's needs and taste, but I don't want to miss a feature I late regret not getting.

Another thing is Audi loyalty program. My brother owns an Audi A4, would that qualify me for the discount?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B&O Sound
Factory Trailer Hitch if you tow or bike
Sports seats
Old 09-20-2015, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visionguru
I finally decide to get a Q5 3.0T.
Options:
(1) Color other than standard black/white;
(2) Technology package.

What other things do you think are must haves? I know this question largely depends on a person's needs and taste, but I don't want to miss a feature I late regret not getting.

Another thing is Audi loyalty program. My brother owns an Audi A4, would that qualify me for the discount?

Thanks for your help.
If your brother "lives with you" at your address, then yes, you'd qualify for Audi Loyalty. It's per household. I would just check with your dealership.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think B&O comes with the tech package of you are buying new (2016+). It's personal preference, but I definitely prefer it.

If you are already in a competing luxury brand, you can qualify for Conquest incentive, which is the same as the loyalty rate.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe my experience will help the OP in some way.

I had a 2013 Audi A5. It had the sport package, nav, backup camera, etc. It also had many options I felt were overkill.

The A5 was in service and a base Q5 was loaned for 2 weeks. It did not have sport seats and I was very uncomfortable. Just so happens I took a long road trip (two in fact) during the loan period. Even my passenger who spent a lot of time in the A5 commented how the Q5 was extremely uncomfortable. Why? The seats. Every passenger in my A5 also commented how comfortable the seats were. My next Audi had sport seats and my SQ5 has sport seats; I tested a Q5 and TDI without sport seats: instant discomfort for my body. MUST HAVE: sport seats.

I still think Audi nav is frustrating. Even after voice recognition training it rarely gets it right, is not the fastest and the dial input is moronic. So many other vehicles have touch screen or easier input. But Audi packages it with some other options I do like having such as voice command. Am I lazy? Maybe. Do I like playing with buttons and talking to a computer? Maybe. Audi Nav: must have? MAYBE leaning toward PASS ON IT.

As for backup camera I didn't think my little Q3 would need it. I got along without it, justified it with "I drove 30 years without a backup camera and my brother does it in a big old truck without it, and...." Guess what: I missed having a backup camera. It does NOT replace common sense or being aware, but it is a very nice option for me. When selling my Q3 people were shocked the nice Audi did not have backup camera. Everyone commented how 2018 will mandate new cars have backup cameras. Backup camera: MAYBE leaning toward MUST HAVE.

As for the hitch. I don't tow a trailer, but I did cram two bicycles in the Q5 with seats folded down. It worked but it was comical and crowded and inconvenient. Having that hitch allows a bike rack or ski rack or heck, even that trailer I may wanna hook up for a day. I'd say the sport hitch was a definite swaying point for my purchase. I bought a new home that is surrounded by hiking and biking trails. I may never have to load up a bike again, but should the day come where it's more than just me taking a road trip it'll be nice having the inside for luggage/gear and the dirty bikes locked up on a hitch. MUST HAVE even if I don't use it now.

I have the B&O system. For me it's not a must have. PASS

Lane Change Assist (or whatever it's called). Never needed it on other Audis. My friends have it in Subarus, etc. and in their cars I don't need it when driving them home as a designated driver. But in the Q5 with its shape and height I find it's a nice option. Not a replacement for good driving skills and being aware, but for me it's a MAYBE.

Sales guy told me Audi and other car companies spent a lot of time finding out what people must have, may not want or definitely don't want. Then they package the crucial items with a lot of stuff you maybe don't want and a perspective buyer ends up paying more for stuff that didn't cost Audi that much to begin with. "I want a backup camera....oh, guess I'll take those 3 options too even though it jacks the car price up $3000." or "I must have the sport seats...oh the vehicles available on the lot also have 2 options I don't need? Sure, I'll pay for them."

Hope this helps. Maybe you can spec your Q5 exactly instead of buying off the lot based on Audi's general guesstimation of what drivers in your geographic locale want.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

it's quite simple with q5: first you select the engine. Done, you wanted 3.0T.

Technology package. Done.
Now the seats: you need to try ventilated seats vrs sport seats (plenty of discussion on this forum). Depending on seats you will be limited in interior colors and may have to go with one or more packages.
Last some remaining options like window trims, hitch and whatever else left...
Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by msaudiq5
it's quite simple with q5: first you select the engine. Done, you wanted 3.0T.

Technology package. Done.
Now the seats: you need to try ventilated seats vrs sport seats (plenty of discussion on this forum). Depending on seats you will be limited in interior colors and may have to go with one or more packages.
Last some remaining options like window trims, hitch and whatever else left...
I agree regarding the seats. I tried the sport seats and didn't care for them. We went for the luxury package and the ventilated seats and are glad we did. You have to try out the various seat options prior to making the right decision for yourself.

On the 2016s the technology package now includes the B&O sound system. The price of the package went up over the 2015s, but there is also a $600 credit for ordering it.

As for color, dealerships aren't very creative when it comes to ordering cars for their own lots. You'll find lots of black or white vehicles with black interiors. If you're in an area with an Audi dealer association, use the association's website to search multiple dealers at the same time. You might find a color combination which you like. Check my signature for our choice. We've only had our Q5 for a week and a half and we've had several random people comment on the color.

Last edited by By Jiminy; 09-20-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Recently ordered the Q5 3.0T, we haven't received it yet. But I met a lot of dealers and one thing they mentioned is that dealers rarely have Q5s with comfort/luxury package (with ventilated seats etc) in their lot. Dealer said that not many customers like to pay the additional 2k for this package, so they don't usually order it. Also as others have mentioned, the cars on their lot are standard colors exterior/interior. We ended up with a custom order...it takes a lot of saving up to be able to afford a car like Q5 and if we are buying it new, we want it exactly to our tastes.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much for the info, gentlemen.
The past weekend, I purchased a Q5 3.0T mythos black w/technology package (including B&O sound). So far, I like the car.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats! Did the poll data help with the negotiation?

Quick Reply: Wanted: Q5 purchase suggestions