Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Warranty from fd-warranty.com?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty from fd-warranty.com?

Anybody has first-hand experience buying a warranty from fd-warranty.com? Are they every bit as good as the dealer, only cheaper, as they claim?

At first I thought my car won't arrive until June 10, now it seems that I may get it next week. Now I have to scramble on my research...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's definitely been people around here that I've seen go through them; they're the standard place to get extended warranties from at least on the Audi side (not sure about the other brands). They'll be as good as the dealer because they are a dealer. (Last I knew, at least, he still worked for one or more of the dealerships the plans go through.)

Unfortunately I haven't gotten my Q5 yet so there's no car to have taken out an extended warranty on, so no first-hand info on the actual process, paperwork, etc. But Troy's the guy who always comes up whenever anyone asks about extended warranties.

And you don't have to get the plan right away as soon as you buy the car, you could always wait at least a little. The price goes up over time, though I don't know how quickly it goes up and if there's a "new" vs. "already owned" price difference. But I don't think you need to stress yourself trying to get everything done in the next 6 weeks.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
There's definitely been people around here that I've seen go through them; they're the standard place to get extended warranties from at least on the Audi side (not sure about the other brands). They'll be as good as the dealer because they are a dealer. (Last I knew, at least, he still worked for one or more of the dealerships the plans go through.)

Unfortunately I haven't gotten my Q5 yet so there's no car to have taken out an extended warranty on, so no first-hand info on the actual process, paperwork, etc. But Troy's the guy who always comes up whenever anyone asks about extended warranties.

And you don't have to get the plan right away as soon as you buy the car, you could always wait at least a little. The price goes up over time, though I don't know how quickly it goes up and if there's a "new" vs. "already owned" price difference.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I am just a little worried, since I will be writing him a check buying something sight unseen, and it will be several years before I even get to test whether what I bought is actually good. I am just hoping for some reassurance from those who have tried him and had good results.

But I don't think you need to stress yourself trying to get everything done in the next 6 weeks.
Six weeks is what I thought I had. I was just informed yesterday that it may be as early as next Tuesday!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Extended warranty is insurance.

When you buy an extended warranty, you are buying insurance. It will be cheaper up-front because the insurance company knows they will not have to pay anything for the first 4 years/50,000 miles, which is covered by the Audi New Car Warranty. They get to use your money for that period with no obligation due. That's a sweet deal, for them. If you sell, trade, or wreck the car in the first 4 years, you lose everything.

There is no reason to rush a decision to buy an extended warranty, you can always buy one at the time your Audi new car warranty expires. Yes, it will cost more at that time, but in this case you get to keep your money for 4 years, and YOU invest it and make a profit on it. If car has been reliable maybe you self-insure from that point forward, but if it has had problems, then you sell/trade it. But in any case you have options. That's a good thing.

Also remember to read the detail of the 3rd party warrantor's contract, and understand why it may be cheaper than Audi's. Do they cover all the same repairs, exactly? Will they use genuine Audi parts to repair it, or aftermarket? Also, you will have just as much trouble with a claim in either case. Another thing to consider is this. Will FD Warranty still be in business, or bankrupt, in Year 6 when you have a claim, as opposed to Audi? There is a reason why they are cheaper.

Consider all aspects of this deal very carefully.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 81Coupe
Anybody has first-hand experience buying a warranty from fd-warranty.com? Are they every bit as good as the dealer, only cheaper, as they claim?

At first I thought my car won't arrive until June 10, now it seems that I may get it next week. Now I have to scramble on my research...
I bought from Troy at FD warranty. It is a straight deal. You get the same warranty you get from the dealer, the Audi sanctioned extended warranty. The paperwork is all Audi. After you buy, your Audi deler can see you have an extended warranty on their computer, just like you bought it fom that dealer.

You do not need to buy it before or at the same time you take delivery, so don't be pressured. I waited until I had 7500 miles, and the price is still the same as a new car. Ask Troy how many miles you can go before the price changes.

Fd warranty is the real deal, so relax.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Also remember to read the detail of the 3rd party warrantor's contract, and understand why it may be cheaper than Audi's. Do they cover all the same repairs, exactly? Will they use genuine Audi parts to repair it, or aftermarket? Also, you will have just as much trouble with a claim in either case. Another thing to consider is this. Will FD Warranty still be in business, or bankrupt, in Year 6 when you have a claim, as opposed to Audi? There is a reason why they are cheaper.
Good advice in general, but this (as weth knows firsthand) is the offical Audi-offered extended warranty and not some fly-by-night plan that covers nothing and they'll conveniently be out of business if there's any claims that come calling. The reason Troy sells cheaper over the internet is the same reason that online sales at dealers are more likely to sell cheaper than "normal" sales: any profit from customers you wouldn't've had otherwise is extra profit (supply willing, that is, of course).

You do of course want to decide whether you really need the extended warranty (whether because the vehicle needs lots of attention or the peace of mind is worth it to you), so it's good to take time to consider. At least from weth's experience you can wait a while and still get the same price as new (which may hold for anytime the factory warranty is still in place, or may not). No need to rush into things and then end up reconsidering.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
There is no reason to rush a decision to buy an extended warranty, you can always buy one at the time your Audi new car warranty expires.
But in any case you have options. That's a good thing.
Consider all aspects of this deal very carefully.
Thanks mjm, for your detailed analysis. I will definitely think through the whole thing before spending money on any of these. It is a relief to know that I don't have to buy that from the dealer, at the time of purchase.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by weth
I bought from Troy at FD warranty.
Fd warranty is the real deal, so relax.
Seeing that this is a proven source, I am now relaxed. Thanks, weth!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

At least from weth's experience you can wait a while and still get the same price as new (which may hold for anytime the factory warranty is still in place, or may not). No need to rush into things and then end up reconsidering.
Thanks idale, I think that's the route I am going to take, unless they make it too cheap to pass up...
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just another post to say dealing with Troy was very professional, smooth and I have already recommended him to several other friends who have new Audi's but haven't bought any of the extended warranty options.

Quick Reply: Warranty from fd-warranty.com?