Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Warranty from fd-warranty.com?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457
When you buy an extended warranty, you are buying insurance. It will be cheaper up-front because the insurance company knows they will not have to pay anything for the first 4 years/50,000 miles, which is covered by the Audi New Car Warranty. They get to use your money for that period with no obligation due. That's a sweet deal, for them. If you sell, trade, or wreck the car in the first 4 years, you lose everything.

There is no reason to rush a decision to buy an extended warranty, you can always buy one at the time your Audi new car warranty expires. Yes, it will cost more at that time, but in this case you get to keep your money for 4 years, and YOU invest it and make a profit on it. If car has been reliable maybe you self-insure from that point forward, but if it has had problems, then you sell/trade it. But in any case you have options. That's a good thing.

Also remember to read the detail of the 3rd party warrantor's contract, and understand why it may be cheaper than Audi's. Do they cover all the same repairs, exactly? Will they use genuine Audi parts to repair it, or aftermarket? Also, you will have just as much trouble with a claim in either case. Another thing to consider is this. Will FD Warranty still be in business, or bankrupt, in Year 6 when you have a claim, as opposed to Audi? There is a reason why they are cheaper.

Consider all aspects of this deal very carefully.
I agree with the above, except that these policies are not "lost" if you sell or the car is totaled, they are all prorated. But the clock starts ticking the second you buy the policy, not when the 4 year, 48k warranty expires. I figure I'm going to be way ahead of the game by waiting until way, way closer to the end of the original warranty SO IF I decide at that point the car is a keeper, I can then pay (yes a little more) for an extended warranty. But the chances are at least equally as high that I may decide to sell or trade in the car. I will then get a tiny bit of money back for something I have never used, but paid dearly for. How would you feel, if you bought an extended warranty out of the box and your car became troublesome, or in an accident - and you know there is no way you will keep this car much longer, or it got stolen or totaled?
As regards to this particular company - it looks sound as it is an Audi dealer, but a word of warning to those looking for 3rd party warranty companies; I did just that about 12 years ago. I bought a 70K 7year extended warranty from WARRANTY GOLD - at that time a top rated company. It bought it for my 2 year old A4. Cost about 2k something. Some months later I realized that the A4 was just too small for a growing family. Traded it in for a Murano. Called WARRANTY GOLD to cancel and found they were in receivership and ultimately went bankrupt. About 6 years later, I got a check from the bankruptcy court for about $180.00.
I would highly recommend waiting until you have had the car your a couple of years before ever thinking on an any extended warranty contracts.
And if you do decide to get that extended warranty, get it from AUDI or in this case FD, not a 3rd party.

Bob
Old 01-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealership matched FD's price + $100 bucks. Took the deal🌆
Old 04-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

tagging for later.