Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Warranty Question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Question...

My car is getting serviced at the local dealer. Once of the issues is that when the A/C is turned on there is a very pungent smell when it first comes on, lasting 10 seconds or so. Everyone in the car can smell it.

When I asked the dealer to look into it he called back & pretty much says that's not under warranty and it'll be over $200 for a vent flush.

You guys agree with this or should it be covered under normal 4 year warranty?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by madcrazy10
My car is getting serviced at the local dealer. Once of the issues is that when the A/C is turned on there is a very pungent smell when it first comes on, lasting 10 seconds or so. Everyone in the car can smell it.

When I asked the dealer to look into it he called back & pretty much says that's not under warranty and it'll be over $200 for a vent flush.

I'm not sure, but did they say what was causing it to smell? To me that has a lot to do with it, for instance if something got the condenser dirty ie smoking in the car that wouldn't be covered under warranty, but if it is do to an old oil leak that dripped on the condenser because of shotty work at the dealer than the should cover it. So for me it would boil down to the root of what is causing this smell.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Normal odor...

for milions of A/C's where high humidity exists. Mold grows in the evaporator area, spraying in mold killing solutions is one way of helping but not guaranteed. I eliminate the problem by always using recirculation mode which keeps the interior air drier and minimal condensation. Also running the temp on high (heater mode) for a few minutes after using the A/C each time helps kill off the mold.

The dealer is correct that this is not a warranty issue. Workmanship did not cause this issue, it's the climate where you live.

Does the A/C drain work correctly? Puddles under the car when sitting.

Seach the web for A/C odor and you will see how common it is.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah after looking at it from their side I relented & could see that it isn't an actual defect but a possible maintenance issue.

Although, when I went to pick the car up I was pleasantly surprised that they actually did the work under warranty. They replaced the cabin filter (somewhere behind the glove box) and also did the vent wash with that solution to kill the mold/bacteria. I was pretty surprised and very happy he got it done for me in warranty. I don't know if they checked the drain plug.

Also, I have a 2011 2.0T, and was experiencing very bad hesitation during acceleration & abrupt shifting. I had a transmission software update done shortly after purchasing the car but the hesitation & abrupt shifting came back eventually. I heard there was a newer update & while it took a lot of researching/looking on their end they said they found the newer update for my car. Now it's all smooth & no more whiplash as my car comes to a stop to shift first as I try to accelerate. I have the TSB# somewhere on the paperwork if anyone would like it.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like you've got a pretty good dealer. What a great way to build customer loyalty - especially if they got Audi to pay for the work. Steve
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Change the cabin filter once a year. It will help to keep mold from growing on the old filter. My wife's MINI had the same issue.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah after looking at it from their side I relented & could see that it isn't an actual defect but a possible maintenance issue.

Although, when I went to pick the car up I was pleasantly surprised that they actually did the work under warranty. They replaced the cabin filter (somewhere behind the glove box) and also did the vent wash with that solution to kill the mold/bacteria. I was pretty surprised and very happy he got it done for me in warranty. I don't know if they checked the drain plug.

Also, I have a 2011 2.0T, and was experiencing very bad hesitation during acceleration & abrupt shifting. I had a transmission software update done shortly after purchasing the car but the hesitation & abrupt shifting came back eventually. I heard there was a newer update & while it took a lot of researching/looking on their end they said they found the newer update for my car. Now it's all smooth & no more whiplash as my car comes to a stop to shift first as I try to accelerate. I have the TSB# somewhere on the paperwork if anyone would like it.
Yes, please share that TSB#. I would like to check if done on my 2011 A4. Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to the paperwork the TSB was 2032812/4

Hope this helps as I really had bad hesitation due to gear shifts. Even coasting down a hill it the shifting would be very abrupt. Everything is smooth now. I just hope this update sticks as the first one the problem came back eventually.