Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

washing the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing the Q5

Dear Q5 owners,

What are your suggestions to prevent swirls and scratches to your Q5 during washing and what type of material and soap do you recommend to wash the Q5?

Topgun77
Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by topgun77
Dear Q5 owners,

What are your suggestions to prevent swirls and scratches to your Q5 during washing and what type of material and soap do you recommend to wash the Q5?

Topgun77
I recommend get a good car wash sponge and any car wash soap will do. "Don't use dish soap".Make sure your sponge is clean before use it. After you are finish wash your Q5 dry it with a nice piece of cow skin or with a " micro fiber towel". Do not use a regular towel. Also once every six month. Hand wax your car with "Carnubba Wax" and do it small section of the Q5 at the time. Then let the wax dry then use micro fiber towel to take the wax off. Remember that when ever you use a regular bath towels to swipe off the exterior of the car. That when you put tiny swirls or scratches. Have fun!!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

So as a old guy who has been washing cars since the sixties - including places like Plattsburg NY - the coldest spot I ever have lived - I do the following:
1. I use Ivory Dish Soap (a detailer from the Bay Area recommendation) - it does not take off the wax because it is so mild but suds up well and takes off the grease and wheel dust.
2. I use Mothers Wax and I just started using a product called Wheel Wax to do the wheel(So far I really notice a difference with this wax over regular car wax on the wheels)
3. In cold weather here in Colorado where washing the car at home forms ice on the driveway I use the touchless car washes once a week to get the salts and grime off the car (lucky for me we see 300 days of sun here so the periods where I need to use the car washes are limited)
Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

To prevent swirl marks wash your car in linear motions not circular ones. Use a back and forth motion when drying as well. I only use interweave microfiber drying towels to dry my car. Using anything else could cause scratching should debris get caught under what your using.

The two bucket method is also a good idea. Use one for soap and the other with just water for rinsing your sponge after wiping the car. I use Meguiers products for washing and detailing.

If you want to learn more Autopia is a great website to learn about car washing and detailing.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Also, there is a Detailing forum here that's worth a look.

Bob
Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
So as a old guy who has been washing cars since the sixties - including places like Plattsburg NY - the coldest spot I ever have lived - I do the following:
1. I use Ivory Dish Soap (a detailer from the Bay Area recommendation) - it does not take off the wax because it is so mild but suds up well and takes off the grease and wheel dust.
2. I use Mothers Wax and I just started using a product called Wheel Wax to do the wheel(So far I really notice a difference with this wax over regular car wax on the wheels)
3. In cold weather here in Colorado where washing the car at home forms ice on the driveway I use the touchless car washes once a week to get the salts and grime off the car (lucky for me we see 300 days of sun here so the periods where I need to use the car washes are limited)

Thank you! I will give it a shot.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by onemax03
To prevent swirl marks wash your car in linear motions not circular ones. Use a back and forth motion when drying as well. I only use interweave microfiber drying towels to dry my car. Using anything else could cause scratching should debris get caught under what your using.

The two bucket method is also a good idea. Use one for soap and the other with just water for rinsing your sponge after wiping the car. I use Meguiers products for washing and detailing.

If you want to learn more Autopia is a great website to learn about car washing and detailing.
Thank you for your suggestions
Old 11-22-2009, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One word: Zaino

I use all of their products. They're a little more expensive, but I get compliments constantly about our vehicles. Their waxes/polishes are easy to apply and remove.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiByNature
One word: Zaino

I use all of their products. They're a little more expensive, but I get compliments constantly about our vehicles. Their waxes/polishes are easy to apply and remove.
+1 Zaino, Very good products.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started using Zaino on my temporary car before my Q5 arrives - gotta say I'm very impressed and will be using it on the Q5 when it arrives in February.

I got the starter pack plus a few extra applicators and microfibre drying towels.