Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Water pump heads up

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned japanese,german and sweden cars and all have had some type of problem. The toyotas and acuras included. I dont think the acura and toyota have the same qaulity thay used to that being said the Q5 is one great car. I currently have a BMW 335 07 with problems all around but also a great car. My volvo also a great car had problems. Love what Audi has come up with in the q5 s-line black on black with B.O stereo. We are having fun just like in all our other cars we have owned.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by happyaudi
It just a water pump? Big Deal? Tell that to the person just send $50,000 on the brand new Q5.
Here are just a few more issue that the owners of the Q5 had:
1. Major transmittion issue.
2. Roof rack or crossbar make lot of noise.
3. Paramound roof rattle, thumps, squeaks.
4. Steering wheel issue.
5. Fluid leak.
6. Annoyance sound systems/radio/MMI-GPS.
7. Start up key issue-hard to pull it out.
8. Q5 owners not very happy the way their dealership handler situation. One the the poster want to sell their Q5 and post it on the Forum.

I own a Audi 5000 sedan 20 years ago. When to hell and back with it. I test drive the Q5 twice and thinking to purchase near by future. I joined the Forum to find out more about Q5 but seen all this problems and issue I chance my mind. Don't get me wrong Audi improve since 20 years ago but I am not willing to paid $50,000 investment of my hard earning money to find out all this problems above.Maybe I except much too. Goodluck to you all.
It's luck of the draw. Like someone else said, these issues can happen with any manufacturer and any car model. Despite Audi's past history of unreliability in the 80s and 90s, I've been lucky to own 4 more recent models that have been more or less rock solid. B5 A4 1.8T, B5 S4, B7 RS4, and the Q5 so far has been trouble-free (knock on wood). I absolutely abused my S4 and RS4 and flogged them regularly at track events, yet they both managed to stay away from the dealer service departments, not counting scheduled maintenance. I can't say the same for a couple of Hondas and Acuras I've also owned (ignition and transmission issues) and I have good friend that's on his second Infiniti (went from an FX35 to a G37) and even though both have been plagued with problems from fuel pump to electronics, he's still faithful to the brand for some strange masochistic reason. I've had BMWs and Mercedes AMGs as well and they have been hit or miss on the reliability front. It can happen to any car. It's foolish to dismiss a brand based on a single product experience. There are some very nice models being produced by all of them. It's shame some people end up missing out because of certain hang-ups.

Bye now, enjoy your Nissan.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by happyaudi
It just a water pump? Big Deal? Tell that to the person just send $50,000 on the brand new Q5.
Here are just a few more issue that the owners of the Q5 had:
1. Major transmittion issue.
2. Roof rack or crossbar make lot of noise.
3. Paramound roof rattle, thumps, squeaks.
4. Steering wheel issue.
5. Fluid leak.
6. Annoyance sound systems/radio/MMI-GPS.
7. Start up key issue-hard to pull it out.
8. Q5 owners not very happy the way their dealership handler situation. One the the poster want to sell their Q5 and post it on the Forum.

I own a Audi 5000 sedan 20 years ago. When to hell and back with it. I test drive the Q5 twice and thinking to purchase near by future. I joined the Forum to find out more about Q5 but seen all this problems and issue I chance my mind. Don't get me wrong Audi improve since 20 years ago but I am not willing to paid $50,000 investment of my hard earning money to find out all this problems above.Maybe I except much too. Goodluck to you all.

Let me translate this...

Big deal about the water pump and the pennies (50k) as I have seen water pumps go bad on 200.000 bucks expensive 18-wheelers and other special vehicles. In his case, the dealer is the one who screw up and gave darn Cobalt and I feel sorry as my loaners have been new A4's and A6's.

1: Bitching about 1st gear shifting (major means it doesn't move anymore).

2: Unless someone shows me car with similar size panorama sunroof that haves carbonfiber or comporite "wing type" ultra slim cross bars that might be more quiet than Audis and unless carries similar load, this goes to same category as bitching about brake dust. I had Jeep Commander with slim composite cross bars but car is not comparable as it had classic small sunroof and way thicker roof insulation. I had VW Tiguan with same panorama and it was as quiet as Q5.

3: Mine squaked and I applied door gasket treatment and sound gone. If you don't bother to do that kind 5 mins exercise then you are just lazy *** whiner

4: Never head about this...

5: Nether this....

6: Each of their own, I didn't like the Audi navigation so I didn't buy it so I don't have to complain about it. You must be one dumb sob it you go and buy something you don't like and then bitch the heck out of it....

7: For heavens sake even my petite tiny wife doesn't have problems with key so go exercise you fingers and be a man...

8: You (and I) just happen to live in wrong place. I had top notch service in LA, no matter was it VW or Audi or BMW and so on.

Like Larry and Q5sline pointed out, all brands have apples and lemons and it is random sh#t who ever gets it.

Q5sline have 07 beemer 335 with issues, I had 07 335 sedan when I was in LA and I had no issues no matter I beat the crap out of it and its twin turbos, my dealer was above the scale, something that I would love to take local Audi and Audi NA folks there to have brainwash

Last edited by kleinbus; 12-20-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Let me translate this...

Big deal about the water pump and the pennies (50k) as I have seen water pumps go bad on 200.000 bucks expensive 18-wheelers and other special vehicles. In his case, the dealer is the one who screw up and gave darn Cobalt and I feel sorry as my loaners have been new A4's and A6's.

1: Bitching about 1st gear shifting (major means it doesn't move anymore).

2: Unless someone shows me car with similar size panorama sunroof that haves carbonfiber or comporite "wing type" ultra slim cross bars that are more quiet than Audis and carries similar load, this goes to same category as bitching about brake dust. I had Jeep Commander with slim composite cross bars but car is not comparable as it had classic small sunroof and way thicker roof insulation. I had VW Tiguan with same panorama and it was as quiet as Q5.

3: Mine squaked and I applied door gasket treatment and sound gone. If you don't bother to do that kind 5 mins exercise then you are just lazy *** whiner

4: Never head about this...

5: Nether this....

6: Each of their own, I didn't like the Audi navigation so I didn't buy it so I don't have to complain about it. You must be one dumb sob it you go and buy something you don't like and then bitch the heck out of it....

7: For heavens sake even my petite tiny wife doesn't have problems with key so go exercise you fingers and be a man...

8: You (and I) just happen to live in wrong place. I had top notch service in LA, no matter was it VW or Audi or BMW and so on.
I will agree on everything except # 1 as I am the one with the trans issue, yes it was MAJOR enough for a entire mechatronics unit to be ordered and obviously there is a REAL issue not a PERCEIVED issue, and yes I am concerned about the water pump as I have seen 5 postings of this already along with the above mentioned trans issue.I am not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend these issues do not exist, I agree the Q5 is a great vehicle but compared to my Acura w/ no issues at 100k I am
concerned about the reliability, of course the driving experience of the Acura does not compare to the Audi, I did hope that their quality was coming up as the A4, A6 and VW tiguan have all been recommended as above average reliability.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Klienbus I agree BMW service has always been excellent. MY 335 is a great car love the engine lots of fun to drive. Hve had several issues nown to be inherited fuel pump, break booster, and steering assembly. all been fixed with the best customer service I have ever seen. I live in Orlando Florida. Audi has been excellent as well very nice to deal with. No problems with Q5 just a great car all around.

Regards.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5SLINE
Klienbus I agree BMW service has always been excellent. MY 335 is a great car love the engine lots of fun to drive. Hve had several issues nown to be inherited fuel pump, break booster, and steering assembly. all been fixed with the best customer service I have ever seen. I live in Orlando Florida. Audi has been excellent as well very nice to deal with. No problems with Q5 just a great car all around.

Regards.

Fields BMW of of I4? I've had some fun at that dealership test driving cars!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Can you post more car details please? Model year, model, date of arrival to you are the most important for recording this, plus if you dont mind, Color rim size and Location by State.
You may have noticed already by my sig that I try to record, save and collate info/events like this.
Hey Jusforfun-
I have a 2009 Q5 Prem + with Navigation and my water pump had to be replaced 2 weeks ago. There was about 7500 miles on the car at the time. I went to the garage to find and all the coolant from my vehicle was on the ground. Pink juice everywhere!
Towing was a disaster because I live in a high-rise condo and it was a Saturday. I only had to wait 1 day for the dealership to get the part and I had my car back on Tuesday.
2009 Prem Plus with Nav
Purchased 5/15/2009
Silver
18" stock rims
I live in Atlanta, GA
Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

According to JD Power's long term reliability study, Infinity rates about the same as Audi:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2008115
Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
According to JD Power's long term reliability study, Infinity rates about the same as Audi:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2008115
How about Infiniti?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
How about Infiniti?
Sorry, I mis-spell Infiniti, but you get the idea. If you are buying Infiniti for reliability, You better do more homework.

Quick Reply: Water pump heads up