Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Water Pump Replaced - New Issues - 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Water Pump Replaced - New Issues - 3.0T

2017 SQ5 62,000 miles. I had the water pump replaced under warranty and the shop I took the car to got the extended warranty company to also approve replacing the coolant temp sensor and thermostat while they were in there replacing the water pump.

On the work order they also list the intake manifold gaskets and water temp sensor O-Ring.

Now onto the issue that popped up. The day after picking up the car the "Add up to 1 quart of oil/ safe to keep driving message" Been down this road with the car before and I do have an actual dip stick and confirmed that the oil level is JUST below MIN line. While checking the oil/filling it, I noticed a distinct odor of gasoline. I can actually smell it on the engine oil cap when I removed it to fill the oil. In addition when I wiped the dipstick to get a clean reading, I could smell gasoline on the towel as well.

Is this something that could be related to the work they did to change the water pump/Thermostat etc.? I know that they pulled the Supercharger to do the work.

One last bit of information; I had the PVC replaced at around 45,000 miles.

Any insight would be appreciated and anything I can have the shop try and diagnose would be great too (Compression check, leak down test etc.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by A2andres
2017 SQ5 62,000 miles. I had the water pump replaced under warranty and the shop I took the car to got the extended warranty company to also approve replacing the coolant temp sensor and thermostat while they were in there replacing the water pump.

On the work order they also list the intake manifold gaskets and water temp sensor O-Ring.

Now onto the issue that popped up. The day after picking up the car the "Add up to 1 quart of oil/ safe to keep driving message" Been down this road with the car before and I do have an actual dip stick and confirmed that the oil level is JUST below MIN line. While checking the oil/filling it, I noticed a distinct odor of gasoline. I can actually smell it on the engine oil cap when I removed it to fill the oil. In addition when I wiped the dipstick to get a clean reading, I could smell gasoline on the towel as well.

Is this something that could be related to the work they did to change the water pump/Thermostat etc.? I know that they pulled the Supercharger to do the work.

One last bit of information; I had the PVC replaced at around 45,000 miles.

Any insight would be appreciated and anything I can have the shop try and diagnose would be great too (Compression check, leak down test etc.)

Thanks in advance.
There's always a chance that it could be related, however why not let the shop know that this issue popped up. In the meantime, add the qt and monitor the oil consumption going forth.

When the shop did the water pump you're correct they remove the supercharger, but that's a pretty straight-forward job and one which shouldn't have any impact oil motor oil consumption.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
There's always a chance that it could be related, however why not let the shop know that this issue popped up. In the meantime, add the qt and monitor the oil consumption going forth.

When the shop did the water pump you're correct they remove the supercharger, but that's a pretty straight-forward job and one which shouldn't have any impact oil motor oil consumption.
Hey Raj,
Is it even possible to replace the water pump on a 3.0T without removing the supercharger? I had the pump replaced under warranty on my 2017 (bad shaft seal) and asked the dealer to proactively replace some other stuff as long as the supercharger was off. He said, Oh, we don't have to remove the SC to replace the pump. Is that BS or not?
The following users liked this post:
apoelistas (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
Hey Raj,
Is it even possible to replace the water pump on a 3.0T without removing the supercharger? I had the pump replaced under warranty on my 2017 (bad shaft seal) and asked the dealer to proactively replace some other stuff as long as the supercharger was off. He said, Oh, we don't have to remove the SC to replace the pump. Is that BS or not?
It's 100% possible to change the water pump on our cars without removing the SC. From some of the DIYs I've seen, you will need to put the car in "Service" position to do so. Since I had an extended warranty on the car my shop was able to "work" the warranty company.
The following users liked this post:
HZ60 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

@HZ60 as previously mentioned, yes it's possible to replace the water pump without removing the supercharger. There's not a lot of space and you'd need to remove bolts by feel alone, but if the car is in service position it can be done.

I'll be doing this work in the summer, but intend to take off the supercharger and do other maintenance at the same time: PCV, thermostat, carbon cleaning, supercharger oil change.