Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Weird 1-2-3 shifting under light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freaknjoe
i was having issues with my 2013 2.0 q5 where it would shift harshly when coming to a stop. like a jolt if you will, right before stopping.

had this update applied about 6 weeks ago. thought all was well as the harsh shifting when coming to a stop ended temporarily.

however, about a week after the update. now i notice the 1-2-3 shifting issue. it seems as if when i've just started up the car it is more prevalent. when im "coasting" not pressing gas or break, between short intersections of stop signs for example. its as if the car doesnt know what gear its supposed to be in. really annoying.

im at about 7k miles right now and i am def not happy. was trying to give it more time to adjust after the update(been about 1k miles now), but this thread has me worried.
Thanks for sharing. I will get the software update first on my q5 and then comment. i haven't really been noticing any quirky up and downshift for the past two days. Not sure if it's due to hotter weather so engine warms up quicker or i am more aware of it to apply different amount of pressure when i am step on the gas pedal....
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

my dealer in Vancouver BC called and said that he could not locate the TSB regarding harsh up and downshifting in the system. He said it could be related to VIN specific range of cars? Anyways he suggested that I bring my car in and he will get one of the mechanics to look into it..
Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Not a great answer...

since the TSB seems to cover about every ZF 8 speed car Audi has shipped for several years; basically most of their current models. I would expect a dealer service dept. to be more aware of this.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
since the TSB seems to cover about every ZF 8 speed car Audi has shipped for several years; basically most of their current models. I would expect a dealer service dept. to be more aware of this.
i thought the TSB should apply to all 2013 Audi Q5 regardless of VINs...If Audi USA has it in their system, Audi Canada have it as well?!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Maybe someone with actual Audi TSB access can post a pdf

The TSB's have tons of info compared to the extracts, including VIN ranges, years, symptoms and exact fix, etc.

Can't be sure about Canadian nuance but pretty obviously it's not a US only issue on a tranny than in various torque flavors and RWD/AWD variants is used worldwide across many models and several vehicle manufacturers.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I mentioned in my post, this reinforces my comment that I hate to have somebody start messing with things because it may be worse after the dealer tries to correct. I am only at 1500 miles, maybe it will get better on its own as it breaks in.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to be a cynic, but owners have been complaining about the 8 speed shift quality in the Q5 since it was introduced. Many, many, MANY owners (myself included) have had the TCU updated as per one TSB or another - shift quality improves for a short time and then back to being crappy. The 8 speed is the worst shifting transmission in any car I have ever owned. To be clear - it's not the transmission that's the problem. It's the shift programming in the computer.

Allowing this issue to go on and on speaks volumes about Audi's "Truth in Engineering"!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have somewhat found this is my 2011 (only driven it for 600km, but it has 37000 on it). From 2-1 it jerks 90% of the time, and 1-2 it does slightly but not nearly as noticeable as 2-1. Haven't noticed anything into 3 though.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
... owners have been complaining about the 8 speed shift quality in the Q5 since it was introduced. Many, many, MANY owners (myself included) have had the TCU updated as per one TSB or another - shift quality improves for a short time and then back to being crappy. The 8 speed is the worst shifting transmission in any car I have ever owned. To be clear - it's not the transmission that's the problem. It's the shift programming in the computer.
To be more clear ... what's the complaint?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
I hate to be a cynic, but owners have been complaining about the 8 speed shift quality in the Q5 since it was introduced. Many, many, MANY owners (myself included) have had the TCU updated as per one TSB or another - shift quality improves for a short time and then back to being crappy. The 8 speed is the worst shifting transmission in any car I have ever owned. To be clear - it's not the transmission that's the problem. It's the shift programming in the computer.

Allowing this issue to go on and on speaks volumes about Audi's "Truth in Engineering"!
Agree 100% on all points. I'll just add that if you drive very agressively the shifting is not an issue - up or down.

Quick Reply: Weird 1-2-3 shifting under light acceleration